Timeline ?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Rodster
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 am

Timeline ?

Post by Rodster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:58 am

I have a small business and I like to keep track of my customer visits. I want to be able to search and pull up a particular customer and see the events for this customer, i.e. visits made last year, this year etc. as well as notes if I had to make any. Is this what timeline is for?

I downloaded the Lite version but I don't know if it can't do the above I may need to get the Pro version. Also if I purchase the Pro version when a new one is released am I required to buy it all over again?

Anyway, nice product.

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Timeline ?

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Rodster, welcome to the forums. The Timeline view is for showing a horizontal layout of your events/tasks/notes. I believe the feature you're looking for is the "Links" tab of the Contact Editor, which is not available in the Lite version.

The Links tab allows you to link events, tasks, and notes to a contact. You can have any number of items linked, and the links are clickable to open in a separate editor window. All editor windows in non-Lite versions have Links tabs, and links are bi-directional, allowing a great deal of flexibility in how items are linked with other items.

You can view the links as a list or as tiles. Links will also appear in the Details pane. The user documenation is currently being updated to explain how to use the Links tab. In the meantime, there's a short article here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61

Regarding the ability to get updates after purchasing, there's no need to re-purchase the software each time a new version is released. The purchase price includes 12 months of update protection, which covers updates to all new versions, including major releases. You can optionally renew update protection after 12 months (the price is $24.95 USD), to receive another 12 months of updates, but that's not required to continue using whatever version you have when the update protection expires.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Rodster
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Timeline ?

Post by Rodster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Dan. I think i'm going to use the Lite for now and put it thru it's paces. When I run into a "I wish it could do this" scenario is when i'll then try the Pro version and see if it in fact does that. That's the point when i'll buy the Pro version. The linking feature is nice and useful. I'll try first to go back into my calendar and see if I can find them first.

So far the Lite version does 90% of what I want it to do. I'll see if the other 10% will make me go Pro. :)

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Timeline ?

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 am

Here's a side-by-side feature comparison. You might find something else here you'd like to use in the Pro version:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page ... comparison

Regardless of what you decide, I hope you'll find VueMinder a useful tool.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Rodster
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Timeline ?

Post by Rodster » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 am

Hey thanks Dan that's awesome to see the features list in the comparisons chart. There are only two maybe three things atm that could steer me towards Pro.

1) List, Year, and Timeline views.

2) Write notes and optionally pin notes to dates. (I currently use description to type comments for a customers appointment)

3) Categorize events? Not sure how different this is from editing categories and renaming them. Maybe you can explain the difference. :?:

User avatar
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Timeline ?

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:24 am

The Lite version can also categorize events. Bascially, when you right-click and event you can assign its category by selecting from the "Categorize" submenu. This can also be accomplished using the "Category" field in the Event Editor window.

The Pro version expands on this by allowing each calendar to be configured with a default category (like "Bills" or "Birthdays"), which will be automatically assigned when a new event is added to the calendar. The Event List can group events by category, filter by category, sort by category, etc. While the Lite version does allow categories, much of the usefullness of this feature isn't seen until you go to the Pro version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Post Reply