Reminders showing up late & other problems

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
sddc19063

Reminders showing up late & other problems

Post by sddc19063 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am

Hi

I'm currently using the free version and have been a regular user for some time now. Shortly after the 8.0.1 upgrade, I started having little graphics problems. Certain entries on the desktop calendar would start changing color (from a white letter, green background, to a barely visible light gray letters on an off-white background. I was able to reset these to normal by clicking on them and now that problem seems to have disappeared. Now my reminders are not going off on schedule, going off at reboot the next day, or just coming on the screen briefly and disappearing. It's a random occurrence, some reminders work normally. Also, the program has been hanging at shutdown more than once and I've had to force quit. None of these problems were happening before the upgrade. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

John Alden

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Reminders showing up late & other problems

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 am

Hi John, welcome to the forums. I'm not sure why you're seeing these problems. It sounds like either a weird installation problem with the update, or something is wrong with the data.

Could you try uninstalling (via the Control Panel) and then reinstall? That might clear it up. If you still see the problems, backup your current data and then restore the data from a previous checkpoint, back when everything was happy.

If neither of those solutions work, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

sddc19063

Post by sddc19063 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 am

Hi Dan

Thanks for the response. Tried the fresh install. Didn't help. Tried the backup and restore to the end of last year. Started getting a bunch of undismissed reminders from the previous year. Went back to the original backup. Noticed that one particular recurring reminder was showing up in two different calendars (according to the tooltips), even though its color code was the same. This is the one that would pop up on screen and then vanish immediately without giving me a chance to dismiss it, then show up randomly the next day as a late notice. I decided to delete that reminder and rebuild it from today on. We'll see if it cures that problem. Copied and pasted the events that were changing color. These were not reminders, just archival data I wanted to reference later. These may change color again. The program still causes Windows (Vista) to hang at shutdown. I did a Windows update and it hung on the restart. Will post back if my fixes are just temporary. Further suggestions still welcome.

Thanks

John Alden

sddc19063

Post by sddc19063 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 am

It looks like I may have fixed something. I deleted and restarted all of my recurring events. So far, everything seems to be back to normal. Yesterday was the first time recently my computer shut down with no hangs.

keithsur

Post by keithsur » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I am also having this problem on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It started when I upgraded to 8.0.0 and is still there on 8.0.1.

I think the reminders move to a different calendar. If I try to edit the event/reminder, the calendar field is greyed out, so it can't be changed back to its original calendar.

I edited the series for events that had not yet occurred. It was ok for the first 2 reminders then reverted to the wrong calendar.

sddc19063

Post by sddc19063 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm

My recurring events are now showing up on the same calendar, but I just had my daily weekday reminder popup and disappear. I'm expecting another manual system shutdown tonight. The reminder sound effect actually sounds twice, then the popup disappears.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Are these problems in calendars that sync with Google Calendar? Are you syncing 1-way (i.e, using the Lite version)? I found some problems related to reminder processing in calendars that sync 1-way with Google Calendar. Corrections have been made for the next version.

If you're seeing these problems in calendars that aren't synced with Google Calendar, please let me know. Otherwise, I think this problem will be resolved in the next version. I'll let you know when it's available (probably next week).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

keithsur

Post by keithsur » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:55 am

My calendars are NOT sync'd to anything. I am using the Lite version.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 pm

I've corrected some additional problems with the popup reminder window. I'm not able to replicate the problem with events switching to different calendars (?), but the problem with reminders sometimes disappearing should be solved in the next version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sddc19063

Post by sddc19063 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 am

Hi

I do have a one-way sync to a single Google Calendar. I don't have any reminders set on these (Google sends me emails anyway) and these are just placeholders. Is the mere presence of the Google Calendars causing the problem? Nice to know the disappearing reminders are being addressed. Lately, shutdowns have been normal. All 1-time reminders are showing up normally. I got a disappearing reminder yesterday, so I manually removed it from the calendar. Not sure what today's will do.

Thanks

John Alden