Beta is showing error messages

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Darwin

Beta is showing error messages

Post by Darwin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Dan,

Beta 6 is throwing a lot of net.framework errors running under Win 7 ultimate 64-bit. The error dialog will not let me select the text and paste it and there is nothing that I can identify in the Event Viewer, but the general idea is that the system runs out of memory (I'm running a notebook with a 2.5Ghz Intel Dual Core T9300 CPU and 4GB of DDR2 RAM). I also run Process Lasso to control cpu intensive applications and it constantly throttles VueMinder. I am synchronizing two VumMinder calendars with Outlook 2010 (32-bit).

Let me know if there is any further information that I can provide.

Cheers,

Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Beta is showing error messages

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for letting me know about the problem. You definitely shouldn't be running out of memory when running the beta on your rig, and CPU utilization should usually be 0%. Something definitely sounds wrong.

Has it been like this ever since you updated to the beta? If so, there could have been an installation problem. Try fully exiting the program and then uninstall/reinstall, to see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't fix it, and if you've been using the automatic backup feature, could you try restoring to a checkpoint that was created before the problem started? If that fixes it, then it would appear to be something about the data that VueMinder doesn't like. If you can send your latest backup file to support@vueminder.com, I'll work on debugging the problem. Thanks!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 am

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.I've sent a copy of the backup file. Regarding your other questions, I'm not sure when the issue first appeared and can't tell you if it got worse with beta 6 or not.

Hope the backup file is informative!

Thank you,

Mike

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Holy smokes! I just had the desktop calendar display a white box with a red X through it and freeze. I was able to get into the main VueMinder Calendar but VueMinder crashed before I could get a screenshot. There was an error message I didn't have time to read but I did manage to get Task Manager open and note that VueMinder was using over 1,200,000 K of RAM (both Working Set and Memory). The error message doesn't appear to be in the Event Viewer anywhere. However, there are numerous VSS errors. I have Oops! Backup set to backup my Outlook pst files; I'm going to disable Outlook synchronization and see if VueMinder is more stable.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Further to the above, I disabled Google Synchronization as well but note that every time I select any of my calanders and then select Share -> Share to Local Network it's always shared (ie even after I remove the share). I don't think that this is necessarily a problem, however, because VueMinder hasn't blipped my CPU at all since I restarted it five minutes ago. Prior to that, the minute it started running it was locked into a cycle with Process Lasso tempoarily lowering its process priority and then restoring it every 50 seconds or so.

I just confirmed this by enabling Outlook synch and immediately my fan came on and Process Lasso lowered both vueminder.exe and outlook.exe process priorities. I disabled the share and all is well again.

I'll keep you updated.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 pm

OK several hours later and everything seems to be stable. I note the Process Lasso has curbed VueMinder *about* every 17 or 18 minutes, but now the "hit" to my system is not noticeable.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Thank you for the information. It sounds like the problem might be due to having Outlook sync enabled, but I'm unable to replicate the problem, also using Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

My guess is that maybe your security software is blocking VueMinder from accessing or properly syncing with Outlook, resulting in VueMinder falling into some type of infinite loop where memory is continuously allocated. Could you try temporarily disabling your security software to see if that makes any difference? If it does make a difference, what security software are you using, so I can try replicating the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Dan,

I'm running the latest beta of Microsoft Security Essentials 2. I just disabled active protection and sync'd the calendars. Process Lasso throttled and then released VueMinder twice but the system didn't lag and the fan didn't come on. On a hunch, I've set up automatic sycnhronization and excluded the Vueminder process from being scanned by MSE and left the frequency at 1 hour. I'll monitor this over time. One interesting thing that happened and which I have not seen before, is that Outlook threw up the "A program is trying to access Outlook" dialog. I set it for 10 minutes of access because clicking "allow" without selecting a time range just kept the dialog popping up.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Mike

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 am

OK scratch the above. I put my computer into sleep mode last night and went to bed. When I got up this morning I was greeted by an MS dialog warning me that VueMinder Calendar had crashed and offering to close the application. Done. I restarted VueMinder Calendar and checked the share setiting for each of my calendars - none were being shared, so I left it like that. I just checked Process Lasso and it was throttling and releasing VueMinder about once a minute before I put the computer asleep and then again for about two minutes after I woke it up this morning before VueMinder crashed.

Currently, VueMinder Calendar 7.5 beta 6 is running with a full desktop calendar displayed under Win 7 64-bit. It is not sharing its calendars with any other VueMinder installation over the network, any other local application or web service. I have OUtlook 2010 32-bit installed. I am running MSE 2 (latest beta) and have set it to ignore c:\program files (x86)\VueSoft\VueMinder\VueMinder.exe.

Since 5:13 AM PST (it is now 6:02 AM), there hasn't been a blip from Process Lasso about VueMinder. I think that this issue relates to Outlook synchronization. I can provide a list of Outlook plug-ins that I'm running if necessary.

Hope this is helpful,

Mike

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the update. Yes, if you could provide the list of Outlook add-ins you're using, that might help me narrow down my search for the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder