Problem with Google Sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
pwt

Problem with Google Sync

Post by pwt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I have a serious problem with one of my google calendars. I sync several calendars but one is giving me strange problems. It is called Shared Calendar as it is the only one that my wife and I can both alter independently from separate google accounts. Now when I sync it to Calendar Pro, all the appointments appear and then some of them disappear. I have deleted the calendar in Calendar Pro and reinstalled but I still cant get many of the appointments to show.

Philip

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Problem with Google Sync

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 pm

I believe this has been fixed for the next version. If you'd like an early look, a beta is available. You can download it here:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA4.exe

Before installing the beta, first exit the current version by right-clicking the VueMinder task tray icon and selecting 'Exit'. After installing, delete any Google Calendars in VueMinder and restart VueMinder one more time. After restarting, add the Google Calendars back into VueMinder. This should (I think) clear up the problems. Please let me know if it doesn't.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

pwt

Post by pwt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:36 am

Hi Dan
Thanks for access to the beta. I can confirm that it seems to cure the problem I had with floating tasks (another post) and another problem with alarms coming over from google sync. However, I can still create a problem with syncing my shared calendar. What seems to cause the problem is assigning a category to an appointment that I have synced. I tried on an appointment that was past and it instantly disappeared. Maybe one shouldn't use categories on google synced calendars but I thought it was worth trying!

Philip

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Philip, it sounds like maybe you had assigned the event to a filtered category, especially if it instantly dispappeared. The Google Calendar sync usually doesn't happen instantly. It can take up to 8 seconds.

Could you look at the "Categories" tab in the Calendar Items area of the window, and ensure all categories have a checkmark? Categories that don't have checkmarks will cause any associated events/tasks to be hidden. More info can be found here.

You could also try the "Show All Events" command on the View menu, to clear any filters. Hopefully that will make the event reappear.

I hope that explains it. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

pwt

Post by pwt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Dan
No that is not it. Actually it took a couple of seconds before it disappeared. All categories are checked and I tried "Show All Events" but that item has gone from Vueminder. It is still there in my Google Calendar if I open the web interface. The trigger seems to be assigning a category. Also it was a past appointment.
Philip

It gets worse. In order to test it, I tried adding a new appointment in Google Calendar and then re-syncing in Vueminder. All my appointments reappeared and then a few seconds later disappeared again. This time some other appointments disappeared as well. So I deleted the calendar and re-installed it. Again all the appointments appeared temporarily and then some of them - including all the all-day appointments disappeared.

This only happens with the one google calendar - my other google calendars are fine. The only thing special about this calendar is that it is shared - i.e. there is full access to another google user.

Philip

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can replicate this behavior and will let you know what I find.
Dan Chartrand, Founder