Syncronising with Outlook - A Solution

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
GoingNow

Syncronising with Outlook - A Solution

Post by GoingNow » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:12 am

I have Windows Ultimate 64 bit, Office 2010 32 Bit and a Windows 6 Classic PDA. (HP IPAQ 212). Fairly simple? All I really want is to synchronise my calendar in Outlook with my PDA.

Now I have been looking for an alternative to Outlook for a while, and I tried Windows Live calendar, but it would not synchronise.

Then I found VueMinder. It seems to do everything I want, but the real reason I downloaded it to try was to see if it really did synchronise with Outlook. And it really does. However there is a trick to it.

Your calendar name in VueMinder must be the same as the folder name of your main calendar in Outlook. Don't be tricked by the name in the title bar of outlook, that is your primary email address. On my system, my Outlook calendar folder is called "Calendar", however in VueMinder my calendar was called after my name. I tried creating a calendar in VueMinder called after my email address in Outlook (that is what it showed in the title bar) and I tried also creating calendars in my name. They did work, just not in the way I thought they should.

What happened was Outlook created all of those calendars as subfolders in the Calendar folder inside outlook. None of them showed in the Outlook main calendar and it appeared that it was not syncronising.

This is not ideal.

Now all I need is the alarm settings to copy across and I will be very happy.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Syncronising with Outlook - A Solution

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi GoingNow, welcome to the forums. As you've found, in order for VueMinder to sync with Outlook, the calendar names in both Outlook and VueMinder need to match. The easiest way to initially configure Outlook sync, if you have an existing calendar in Outlook, would be to import that calendar into VueMinder (using the Import command on the File menu). Next, open the Calendar Properties for the imported calendar in VueMinder and enable Outlook sync on the Outlook tab. The Calendar Properties can be accessed via the Edit menu or by double-clicking the calendar name. Just make sure not to rename the calendar in either VueMinder or Outlook. Otherwise, the sync connection will be broken.

I'll see if I can find a way to make this more intuitive, or to allow calendar names to be different in Outlook and VueMinder. Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the syncing of reminder settings, open the Calendar Properties window for the synced calendar, go to the Outlook tab, and then check the box labeled "Include reminders".

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 pm

On reflection, there needs to be some way to rename the calender when you tell VueMinder to synchronise with outlook.

The reason being - if I subscribe to an external calender (say a country holiday file) that calender is inside VueMinder as the countries name. If I now synchronise that with outlook it will end up as a subfolder in the main calender and will not display and will not now synchronise with my handheld.

As well as that, any separate calender I create inside VueMinder (for instance if I wanted birthdays separate to the ordinary appointments) again, they will not synchronise.

I have decided that I do not need the alarm settings to move across to the other calenders I have. On reflection, I would end up with three things with an alarm for the same appointment, and that way lies madness. :D

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm not sure why the sub-calendars in Outlook aren't displaying or syncing with your handheld. I wasn't aware of this limitation. What type of handheld are you using, and does it not support multiple calendars?

Depending on which version of Outlook you're using, you should be able to see multiple calendars at one time by using the "Show in overlay mode" setting. I'm not a big fan of how Microsoft designed overlay mode and I think it's a bit clunky. I'm not complaining though - actually I should thank Microsoft for making it that way, since that design sends a lot of business my way. Anyway, you should be able to use the checkboxes to make each calendar visible. The calendars might default to a "side-by-side" view, but can be overlayed together by enabling the overlay mode.

Here's what I see in Outlook 2010 with overlay mode enabled and 4 calendars syncing with VueMinder:

I think what you're asking is for every calendar in VueMinder to sync with just a single calendar in Outlook. There wouldn't be a 1-to-1 mapping between calendars. The problem with this approach is, if you add a new event to the single calendar in Outlook, how would VueMinder know which of its multiple calendars the event should be added to, the next time a sync happens? VueMinder would have to make some assumptions and put the event in the calendar it *thinks* it should go in, and that is also usually a path to madness, both for users and for me! ;)
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

GoingNow

Post by GoingNow » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:35 am

You are correct. The more I see of your support, the more I want to buy your software. :D

The outlook overlay view is almost impossible to find and is about the most non-intuitive piece of ... programming (nearly said something else there) I have ever seen.

I thought I stated in the first message what PDA I had - it's a IPAQ 212 running Windows 6 Classic and the calendar on that is not capable of displaying more than one calendar. I am not sure it even syncs the other calenders - I have tried to find some help in google and everything seems to indicate that I need another third party calendar and sync program to achieve what I want.

After I have done that research and decided what I really need, I will surely be back to buy VueMinder.