Google Sync does not sync recurring events?!

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Snacko

Re: Google Sync does not sync recurring events?!

Post by Snacko » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Ok, I'll test this and try and get those ics cals for you.

BTW, that link to the Navy Clock is no good. It won't load a page...

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 am

Hi Snacko, have you had a chance to try the beta yet? How's it looking?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:54 am

Well, it did the same thing as before kind of. I synced the Bills Calendar and it added that missing event, then 20 seconds later it deleted it.

I did want to try and sync my clock before I reported back results, but that link to the Navy clock doesn't work. You posted this link:
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl

Do you have a good link I can use?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Maybe you have scripts disabled in your browser? The link seems to work fine for me. Here are some others:
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
http://www.timeticker.com/

I'm not sure changing your local clock will change the behavior, so could you send me the ICS files? I'll try to duplicate the problem.

Version 7.4.3 does fix several other problems I was able to find in the sync, while trying to track down the problem you're seeing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Attached is a rar file with my calendars. I have included the original Appointments, Bills, Reminders,.. and the new New Reminders that I created. I suggest you import them to Google and then bring them into VM as that is what I have been doing obviously.

I looked at these files in notepad and noticed that one had a description tag that said it had been synced with VM, but the other three did not. Not sure if that means anything to you, but seemed strange.
Last edited by Snacko on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Snacko, I've imported these into separate calendars in Google Calendar, using the same calendar names you were using, and then added them to VueMinder. It synced automatically after adding the calendars (it does this twice to ensure all the events are present and synced). I didn't see any events disappear. I let it run for about 20 minutes and checked again, and all events were still present. Next, I exited VueMinder and restarted it. After restarting, I commanded a manual sync using F5. Again, no events were removed. No matter what I try, I can't replicate the problem.

Could you try the following?

1. Delete the existing calendars from Google Calendar.
2. Delete the existing calendars from VueMinder and fully exit VueMinder.
3. Create new (empty calendars) in Google Calendar.
4. Import each ICS file into the associated Google Calendar.
5. Start VueMinder and use the "Add Google Calendar" command to add the Google Calendars.

Does the problem still happen after doing this? If so, then try this:

1. Delete the existing calendars from VueMinder and fully exit VueMinder.
2. Delete the existing calendars from Google Calendar.
3. Restart VueMinder and import each ICS file into a calendar in VueMinder.
4. Use the "Share Calendar -> Google Calendar Sync" command on each imported calendar to enable syncing with Google Calendar.
5. Check the box to enable syncing, and leave everything else set to the defaults.
6. The calendars will be added to Google Calendar.

Hopefully one of these approaches will fix it for you.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm

I'll test that soon. Been kind of busy today.

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Well Dan, it seems to be working so far. I just did the first list of steps about 20 minutes ago and have looked all through the calendar. I did notice on the Bills calendar that I had about 8 of the same event to Pay Taxes on Sept 15, 2011. I deleted them in google and they disappeared in VM. VM was not showing them all. I only saw 3 I think. I didn't look at it too close, as I just deleted all but one in Google and it fixed it. I also just did a full sync (F5) and went though the next year and all still looks good.

I noticed when I deleted my calendars and created new ones in Google that it would not let me delete my Appointments calendar, as it said that was my 'Primary' calendar. I guess it just wanted to make sure that I had at least one calendar, and I did not see where I could assign another one that I added as primary. So, I had to keep Appointments, but I deleted all of the events.

Then, while looking at the Appointments calendar I remembered that I had turned on some of the Google Labs stuff. I had about 3-4 of them enabled, so I turned them off. I don't know if I had them enabled on the other calendars or not. But if I had them just enabled on that Appointments calendar, maybe that was what was causing funnys stuff to happen? I am leaving them all off for now and will let you know if I turn one one and it causes problems.

I should have turned these off when I started having problems, but didn't think about it. Sorry if I wasted so much of our time, but that's software development. LoL. You should put a note about that somewhere. :roll:

Here is a list of what I 'thought' that I had turned on:
- World Clock
- Event Flair
- Year View
- Next Meeting

Also, I noticed in this latest release (the beta I had auto updated today) that when I close the main calendar it does not go to the system tray. It stays either on the desktop in a tiny window bottom/left of desktop. Or, it goes to the taskbar.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Snacko, it never occurred to me that the Google Labs stuff might be messing up the syncing. I'll see if this is something I can fix, and if not, I'll add this to the Troubleshooting section in the FAQ.

As for the task tray icon, you can restore the previous behavior by unchecking the "Always show icon in the taskbar" setting, which is found under the "Background Operation" section of the Program Options window.
Dan Chartrand, Founder