Google Sync does not sync recurring events?!

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Snacko

Re: Google Sync does not sync recurring events?!

Post by Snacko » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am

This problem continues. I have not received that script error again, but I do still have the syncing causing my events to be deleted from my 'Reminders' calendar.

I have been running 7.4.2 since two days ago and still have this problem. Here is a 15mb video of the problem so you can see what is happening.

Thanks for your continued help.

Snacko

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you for the information. I've reviewed the video and I'm currently working on finding what's causing this. In the meantime, you might try adding the calendars one at a time, and see if that solves it. In other words, use the "Add Google Calendar" to add one calendar, wait until it finishes syncing, and then add the next calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 am

Ok, I did as you said. I deleted all 3 calendars this morning and closed VM. Then I started it again and add the last google calendar (Reminders) first, just to see if that mattered at all. I let it sync by itself, and let it alone for about 30 minutes. It looked ok, so I pressed F5 to sync all to make sure it was ok, and it seemed ok.

Then, I added my next to last google calendar (Bills) and let it sync ok. Waited about 20 minutes and all looked ok, so I pressed F5 to sync all again and make sure it worked correctly, and it synced fine.

So then, I added my first google calendar (Appointments) and let it sync on it's own. It seemed to just sync once and all was ok. So, I left it alone and left the house to run some errands for about 2 hours. I came back and all my events were still ok.

So, I pressed F5 to sync all and make sure it was working. It synced them in the order that I had added them and after Appointments synced, all of my Reminder's events (except one) disappeared again. So, it was still happening.

I am wondering if the Sync All (F5) feaure is the culprit? I am going to do another test just like above, but not press F5 to force syncing. I will sync each calendar by itself and leave it alone for a while to make sure it's ok. I will report back...

Snacko

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I have tried the same test again, adding each calendar and waiting for a while for it to sync and settle down. Then I did a test sync but only pressed Ctrl-F5 or selected Sync Calendar from the Share Calendar menu, syncing just one calendar at a time and again waiting for a while. Everything seems ok when the calendars are first added. Once I sync the last calendar (Reminders this time) all events(except one) are removed.

Nothing works. :(

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know when this has been corrected.

In the meantime, you might try working around the problem by subscribing to the ICS calendar feed for the problematic calendar. It will only be 1-directional, but your events should remain after syncing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:50 am

Ok. Well thanks for your help Dan.

One more test I am going to do is try backing up, deleting, and then manually re-creating that Google Reminders calendar. Maybe there is something funny in it?

I'll post back and let you know what happens...

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I created a new Reminders calendar on Google, adding each event. Then added it to VM. It seemed ok, but still acts funny. If I create an event in VM, sometimes it does not appear in Google and vice versa.

Also, while looking over all the events I noticed a Google event in my Bills calendar that does not show up in my VM calendar. So, now I don't think I can trust any of the calendars on google to sync. I am just going to have to not use Google Calender Sync for my Google Calendars and just subscribe to them I guess.

And when we first started this thread you had asked me to use the 'Sync Calendar' command on the Shared Calendars menu. But I just noticed a 'Google Calendar Sync' menu item that I had not been using. Do they both do the same thing? Or should I be using the Google Calendar Sync to manually force a sync?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Snacko, I'm making progress on fixing the problems you're seeing - specifically the problems with events sometimes not syncing. I think some of the changes I've made will also fix the other anomalous behavior you're seeing, but it's hard to say for certain because my calendars don't exhibit the same behavior.

I've also made some corrections that will significantly reduce the time required for syncing (by a factor of 10-20 times, especially for larger calendars). These corrections will be in the next release. If you'd like, I can provide a beta version for you to test out prior to the official release, so we can ensure the problems have indeed been solved.

Regarding the "Google Calendar Sync" command, this will just take you to the Google Calendar tab in the Calendar Properties window, where you can click the "Sync Now" button. That button does the same thing as commanding the calendar to sync via the "Sync Calendar" command.

Some of the behavior you're seeing might also be partially solved by adjusting your computer's clock time to match the real current time, within a few seconds. Try setting it to match the time specified here.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Snacko

Post by Snacko » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:14 pm

I would be happy to test out a beta if you like.

I would think it would help to have calendars that not working, like mine, to identify the problem. I can send you maybe and exported .ics file for each calendar that you can import into google if you like.

I used to use Synchronization with MS Access databases in VB years ago. I just had to call a Sync method with some parameters and it did the rest. It sounds like your process is more complicated.

Snack

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi Snacko, a beta is ready for you to try. You can download it here:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/VueMi ... _BETA1.exe

I'm not 100% postive that it will fix the problems you're seeing, so if you could export the ICS files and send them to me, I'll try testing with the same calendars.

Here are the changes in this beta:
- Added an option to the Google Calendar sync settings to include reminders when syncing new events. Events with reminders created in VueMinder will have reminders enabled in Google Calendar, and vice versa.
- Improved performance of Google Calendar syncing. Large calendars will sync significantly faster, especially when syncing for the first time or when a manual sync is commanded.
- Corrected a number of Google Calendar sync problems, such as events not being properly synced, being deleted after syncing, or being duplicated.
- Corrected read-only (1-way Google to VueMinder) calendars so they can't be modified in VueMinder. This will prevent duplicate events the next time the calendar is synced.
- Corrected performance problems when using the "OldSchool" appearance theme.
- Corrected row heights in the List View and Upcoming Events area to not clip text when large fonts are used.

As for the complexity of syncing with Google Calendar, I wish it was as easy as just commanding a Sync method. Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. Here's the developer's guide, in case you're curious:
http://code.google.com/apis/calendar/da ... otnet.html

Recurring events are where it gets really complicated. For starters, VueMinder stores recurrence data in a format completely different than how Google stores it. Next, you can have "variations" of recurring events, which are modified from the main series. Finding these variations and making sure they match between VueMinder and Google Calendar is tricky. There are also issues with clock times and network latency between when Google thinks an event was modified and when VueMinder thinks it was modified. And then there's the multithreading aspect, where the sync needs to occur in the background (so it doesn't slow down the program) while ensuring all the data between the different threads sync up at the correct time. I think I have it all working in the beta, so please let me know how it goes.
:ugeek:
Dan Chartrand, Founder