Sharing over network still not working right with 7.4

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dmontpe

Sharing over network still not working right with 7.4

Post by dmontpe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:55 am

Bad news, Dan. The local-network-shared calendar is still not working properly. Sometimes it syncs, sometimes it doesn't. Then we had an event deleted this morning reappear this afternoon.

Funny thing to me is I don't see too many people around here complaining about this kind of problems. Am I the only one?

dmontpe

Re: Sharing over network still not working right with 7.4

Post by dmontpe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Not totally sure yet, but it seems problems are happening only when working with recurrent events. They just run crazy. Might even be only with recurring ALL DAY events, which are the ones I had. When I reopen them after creating them, first bad thing that happens duration has suddenly turned from 1 day into 2 days! That's only one of a chain of bad things that happen. For now, I am staying away from recurring events.

dmontpe

Post by dmontpe » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Update: It's not recurrent events only, it's not syncing a non-recurrent event now. Funny thing I've noticed: when I single-click to create an event and hover over the empty box, it shows the description of the event that is not showing!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi dmontpe, thank you for letting me know about the problem. The first thing to check is whether all computers on the network are using the same version of VueMinder. All it takes is one computer running an older version to create all kinds of havoc. The next thing to check is that all computers are set to the same clock time, within a few seconds.

If neither of those explain the problems, you might be able to fix it by starting with a fresh database. On one of the computers, go to the Program Options window and change the shared data folder. After the program restarts, re-share any previously shared calendars. Repeat these steps on the other computers so they're all looking at the new shared database location. That might clear up whatever problems were in the previous database.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rjm01

Post by rjm01 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Dan

The calender sharing works over a network as long as you are sharing on a local drive on one of the computers. I have a NAS disk for on line storage of music, picturess, etc, that I use for backup but vueminder will not recognize any shared folders on that drive. Go back to a c drive and every thing works great.

John Morgan

FreddyMac

Post by FreddyMac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm

I just downloaded it and have it on 4 computers. The events do show up on everyone's computer, as far as I know anyway, but the color-coding does not always sync. We're trying to use it to track deliveries. If an order is all ready to go we put it on the calendar with the default background color. If it's not all ready to go we put it on the calendar but put a red background on it. When it's then ready we change the background color to the default. When the order is then delivered we change the background color to green. Unfortunately the color changes are not syncing. If the event is deleted and then recreated with the changed background color it does show up but that is obviously a much bigger pain then just changing the color.

It's a very nice program otherwise but this coloring scheme is something that would have to work in order for us to register it after the trial so I hope this problem can be fixed.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:52 am

Hi FreddyMac, welcome to the forums. I need to do some more investigating, but my guess is the event color override is syncing, but not refreshing in the local calendar after the sync. I'll see if I can improve this for the next version.

In the meantime, there's an alternative approach that should work better (and will be easier). Instead of overriding the event color, you could define categories named "Ready", "Not Ready", and "Delivered". Categories can be defined via the "Event and Task Categories" command on the Tools menu. Each category can have its own defined appearance, and category colors sync when sharing calendars. For the 3 categories you define, specify the desired colors.

Next, click the "Categories" tab in the Calendar Items list, or click the "Color Events Using -> Category Colors" command on the View menu. This will switch the display to showing event colors based on associated category. To categorize an event, right-click the event and select the desired category from the "Categorize" submenu. If you find the list is too long, you can delete category names you don't intend to use, using the same window where categories are created.

When an event is categorized, its new category will sync to the other computers. If those other computers are also configured to display event colors based on category, then you'll see the colors automatically change based on the new category.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and thank you for trying VueMinder Calendar Pro.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

FreddyMac

Post by FreddyMac » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 pm

A correction to syncing of custom event colors has been completed for the next version (7.4.4). I'll let you know when this version is officially released. If you'd like a beta, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Version 8.0 has been released. When updating, all computers should be updated at the same time to prevent possible syncing issues.

If you still see a problem with custom colors not syncing across computers, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder