Receiving reminders of calendar not selected

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
itechlang

Receiving reminders of calendar not selected

Post by itechlang » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:54 am

Hi,

I am receiving reminders for a calendar I am subscribed to when this calendar in not selected for display in the Calendar items (the check box is not toggled).
I am using the 7.4.0, I do not know if it was the same with previous versions.

Thanks,
Stéphane

itechlang

Re: Receiving reminders of calendar not selected

Post by itechlang » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:12 am

I would like to add that I am still receiving reminders even though I untoggle the check box "Include reminders, appearances and completions." in the calendar subscription tab.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Stéphane. It sounds like your default settings for the subscribed calendar include a default reminder. Try opening the Calendar Properties window for the subscribed calendar, and uncheck all reminders on the "Event Defaults" tab. Also check the box at the bottom of the window labeled "Use these defaults for new calendars". Next, go to the "Subscribe" tab and copy the path/URL. Click the OK button and then delete the subscribed calendar. Re-subscribe to the calendar using the copied URL. After the events sync they shouldn't have any reminders enabled.

As for reminders appearing for hidden events, this is by design and expected. Otherwise, you might forget about an appointment that was hidden.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

itechlang

Post by itechlang » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

My default settings for the subscribed calendar did not include any default reminders but I understand as you said that it is expected to receive reminders from a hidden calendar.

So for this I am good but I think there is still an issue in the parameters saving of the calendar subscription.
If we subscribe to a calendar and check the "Include reminders, appearances and completions" and later on we uncheck this box then we are still receiving reminders unless we unsubscribe and subscribe again but this time without toggling the "Include reminders, appearances and completions" check box.

It may be because once we have subscribed to a calendar including the reminders, the reminders are locally stored so even after changing the subscription for not receiving anymore reminders from the subscribed calendar, we are still receiving them as they are physically still there in the local calendar on the machine.

Does it make sens? Do you follow me? ;)

Thanks Dan,
Stéphane

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Stéphane, yes if the subscribed calendar originally contained reminders, those will be preserved locally, even if the reminders are later removed from the subscription source. This is because you might assign reminders to events in a subscribed calendar, if the subscribed events didn't already have reminders. When the subscription is updated, any reminders that have been set locally are not cleared.

VueMinder doesn't keep track of whether the reminder was set by the user or whether it was included in the original event. It just sees a reminder is assigned to an event, so instead of disabling the reminder (if missing in the source calendar) or resetting the reminder (if enabled in the source calendar) it just leaves the local reminder and its snooze/dismiss status in place. If it didn't do this, then any reminders that were dismissed or snoozed would return every time the subscription is updated, which could get annoying. ;)

Phew, that was a bunch to explain. Hopefully my logic makes sense on why it works this way. Please let me know if this is unclear, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA