Problems sharing.

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dmontpe

Problems sharing.

Post by dmontpe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 am

Hi. I am having trouble with shared calendars. I have a Vista and a Win 7 notebooks hooked up on a local network. I have tried both local network and published/subscribed calendars and changes take forever to show in the other computer. Sometimes I will have to create the event and then reopen it or it won't show in the other computer. When I tried the (both) published and subscribed calendar method, changes wouldn't appear even if I pressed F5. What's supposed to be the right setup anyway? Local network sharing or published/subscribed? Could there be a network or firewall problem affecting the program?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Problems sharing.

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi dmontpe, welcome to the forums. The standard method to share calendars over a local network is described here, although the publish/subscribe approach should also work (it just doesn't support permissions and can run into problems when multiple people are modifying the same calendar at the same time).

The first thing I'd check is the clock time on both computers. Try to make the clock times match within a few seconds. Sometimes that will fix syncing issues.

Also, there are a number of corrections to calendar sharing that will be in the next version (7.4.0). This version is currently in final testing and will be released within a few days. If you'd like to get an early look to see if this fixes the problems, you can download it here. Note, in version 7.4.0 it will take (on average) 15 seconds for a change made on one computer to propagate to another. This is because the auto-sync check is performed every 30 seconds. The sync will be performed in the background whenever a change is detected. If you make a change on one computer, give it up to 30 seconds to automatically appear on the other.

As for firewalls or network problems, if you're able to share other documents over the network without issues, then your network is probably okay. Please try the suggestions above, and if it still doesn't work, let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dmontpe

Post by dmontpe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks, Dan. I read the step-by-step guide and realized I had missed the permissions step. No wonder changes wouldn't apply. One suggestion: When a reader-only tries to make a change to a calendar, they should get an error message instead of being allowed to make the change only to see it doesn't show on the other end. That would give them a clue as to why that's happening.

I also have an issue with VueMinder getting very sluggish in the Vista laptop, but I read somewhere else that is being fixed in next release, too, right?

And another suggestion: It might be me but I keep creating new events by mistake. There should be a way to turn off the one-click new event creation, because it gets annoying. Unless, there is a way that I haven't found, of course. If that's the case I'm all ears!

dmontpe

Post by dmontpe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:05 am

Well, I'm still having trouble with calendar sync. I'll have to wait until the new version comes out (I'll wait for the final release).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:43 am

Version 7.4.0 is officially released. I believe this version will fix the problems you're seeing with calendar sharing.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA