Disappeared without a trace...

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
appyface

Disappeared without a trace...

Post by appyface » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 pm

...VueMinder Pro, that is. Twice.

This morning I was attempting to follow your instructions from another of my threads, to unbind the 'delete' key from the menu. I opened VueMinder Pro from the system tray, and clicked on 'Tools' in the menu. Then when I clicked on 'Customize Menus and Keyboard' VueMinder vanished from the screen and from the tray. No orphaned process left running. Nothing recorded in the windows event logs either. I launched VueMinder Pro and all was fine. For grins I rebooted the system and ensured VueMinder Pro was running, then left for work.

I've just come home, and found one of my reminders waiting for me. I attempted to click the drop-down arrow to pick another snooze time, and again VueMinder Pro vanished. Again, no orphaned process left running, and nothing recorded in the Windows event logs.

This is a brand-new fresh installation of Win7 Pro 64-bit (format c: etc.), created just a few days before installing VueMinder Pro. Not much else has been installed on the system yet. The system is current with all updates via m$ update.

How to catch what is causing VueMinder Pro to terminate without even saying 'goodbye'?

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Disappeared without a trace...

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi appyface, I'm not sure why you're seeing this, and it's not something I've ever seen happen. Could you try reinstalling? If that doesn't fix it, maybe something became messed up in the data. Try restoring to an earlier data point (assuming you have automatic backups enabled), to see if that fixes it. If you still don't have any luck, I can send you a (rough) beta version of 7.4.0 which will be more verbose in reporting error conditions, and could possibly shed some light on why this is happening.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

appyface

Post by appyface » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:30 am

OK -- I've tried a 'repair' to the current installation to see if that 'cures' it.

Something I had forgotten, that I should mention. When I originally installed VueMinder Pro, Win7 offered me the 'compatibility assistant' at the end of the install. I thought that was odd, since the program was developed to run on Win7. So I declined to reinstall with adjusted settings.

Just now after finishing the repair install, the Win7 'compatibility assistant' appeared again. This time I elected to reinstall with compatibility settings. We'll see what happens.

If none of this works I'll try the advance version of the next release.

Kind regards,
--appyface

appyface

Post by appyface » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I just came home and found a reminder on display. I clicked 'dismiss' and VueMinder Pro was gone, no message and nothing in the event logs.

I have just done an uninstall, followed by a reinstall. I'll let you know how this goes.

Kind regards,
--appyface

appyface

Post by appyface » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Crashing daily here, no messages and nothing in windows event logs.

Please let me know when I can try your advance look at the new version, perhaps the additional error gathering will help to pin this down?

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know when the beta is ready.

Another thing to try would be to export all your data, fully exit VueMinder, and then run the utility linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After restarting VueMinder, import your previous data. Maybe that will clear it up.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

appyface

Post by appyface » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:20 am

Which export option will preserve my occurrences and reminders? I've got several hundred set up now, not interested in doing that again.

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

To ensure you don't lose any data, use the "Backup Data" command on the File menu. Note, this backs up an exact copy of your data, so if ther problem you're seeing has anything to do with the data, it's likely the problem will still be in the backup copy. That's why I suggested exporting your data.

You can export your events to iCalendar (ICS) files without losing anything. VueMinder extends that format to support all the additional reminder and occurrence settings. Also, don't forget to export your tasks, contacts, and notes, if you have defined those. After exporting AND backing up your data, fully exit VueMinder, run the ResetData utility, and then restart VueMinder. The data can be imported via the File -> Import command.

This might clear up the problem. If not, the 7.4.0 beta will be ready in a day or two.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

appyface

Post by appyface » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 am

I've used ResetData then imported both my tasks and my events from ics exports.

I noticed that even though I elected to include appearance settings in my event ics export (no such option with tasks :-( ) the import made everything the same color...

So I quit the program, used reset data again on it, then installed 7.4.0 beta 2. I configured a few things (like screen layout), then attempted a restore from my backup rather than use ICS. Beta2 displayed message encountered an error loading calendar data, some data may be missing... After acknowledgement displayed 'need to restart' message. After restart the layout was reset back to installation defaults :-(

Also, none of my backup data was reloaded, the event list and tasks list are empty.

I fixed the layout, removed the '2' on the shortcut program launch, shutdown the program while main window was still open, then relaunched. My layout is reset to default again. The 'dockable window title' is still marked but it is not there; the 'calendar' and 'details' are not marked but they reappeared, etc. same as with 7.3.0 version. (I used help -> about to confirm I'm running 7.4.0 beta2; I am.)

I'm out of time for now but will try ics imports and layouts again later.

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll work on fixing these problems before 7.4.0 goes live. Sorry about that!
Dan Chartrand, Founder