Brand-new user here - some problems/questions

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
appyface

Brand-new user here - some problems/questions

Post by appyface » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Good Morning,

I only had to trial VueMinder Pro for a couple of hours :-) then purchased my copy. I've downloaded and installed the full version on Win7 Pro 64bit. The software is very nice and very full featured. Thank you!

Some background. I'm a long-time user of xReminder Pro on XP Pro SP3. The author does not update it anymore and it doesn't run on Win7. Instead he provides the program CalendarScope. CalendarScope has everything I need from xReminder Pro but it is unfortunately quite buggy, at least on my Win7 system. The author is not interested in fixing/changing anything I've found, so instead of buying CalendarScope as I had expected -- well, here I am.

I've run into some very minor issues, but I hope there is help for them. I've been searching this forum and also the online help, please forgive if I missed finding the information I seek and please point me to where it is if so -- thanks in advance.

1. In the email to download full licensed version, the URL is incorrect, it has two periods in the version number: 7..3.0.exe The link works fine if one of the periods is removed. Just FYI in case someone would like to fix this. (I use a plain-text only email reader, in case that is relevant.)

2. I don't use a calendar but prefer to work with all my events as a single list. (No problem, I have that window maximized so the calendar isn't visible.) I added a recurring event, but the list view did not refresh and show the new recurring event. I checked my selected date range and I believe it should have shown up. Non-recurring events show up immediately on the list view. The recurring events showed immediately on the calendar. The only way I could get the list view to refresh was to fully shut down and relaunch the program. How do I get the list view to refresh without closing/relaunching the program? (In case this is relevant, I am running only a single stand-alone copy of VueMinder Pro, and am not syncing/sharing with anything.)

3. After adding several recurring events (with no end dates), I set my list view event date range display to a custom date range of 1/1/1900 - 12/31/2050. In xReminder Pro there is a 'show all' listing so I thought this would get me an equivalent list.

I had to close/relaunch the program to get the list view to update. Unfortunately I did not know that, unlike xReminder Pro in "show all" mode, *every occurance* of recurring events would populate on the VueMinder Pro list :-) You can imagine how long it took for the program to reopen LOL

Pilot error to be sure! Is there an option to abort the loading of the display in order to let the program finish coming up with a blank or partial list?

4. Is there an option in the list view, to list a recurring event just one time? In xReminder Pro I can set my view to "list all" and this will automatically switch to showing the info only for the one current (whether next or past due) incomplete occurance. Can I do this in VueMinder Pro?

5. Is there an option to show an indicator in a sortable column on the list view, for recurring events? (separate from the recurrance data/info)

6. Likewise, Is there an option to show an indicator in a sortable column on the list view, for events with a reminder set? (separate from reminder data/info) And if the reminder has been snoozed, show a different indicator here?

I haven't tried out the Task list view yet, so I don't know if most of the above could apply to the Task view as well?

Pretty minor list, all in all :-) Nonetheless, help with any of the above would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,
--appyface

appyface

Re: Brand-new user here - some problems/questions

Post by appyface » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Another issue...

I prepared an Excel spreadsheet from xReminder Pro, to import into VueMinder Pro as events. I have specified a category (just one per event) and ensured it matches exactly, including case sensitivity (in case that matters) to VueMinder Pro's categories.

If I leave the box "use destination calendar defaults" marked, the categories assigned to each event are: Default, Default, <my category>

If I unmark this box, the categories assigned to each event are: Default, <my category>

How do I get my events imported using only the category I have specified in the excel spreadsheet?

Further, when I right-click one of these events and hover on 'categorize', and the categories list appears showing a mark next to 'default' and '<my category>', if I click on 'default' to unmark it, the mark is instead removed from <my category>, leaving 'default' as the only category assigned.

Help please? I have several hundred events to import.

Thanks and kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi appyface, welcome to the forums and thank you for purchasing VueMinder Calendar Pro. This program is developed for Windows 7, although it is also fully compatible with Vista and XP. You'll find I'm very receptive to suggestions and feedback. New updates and improvements continue to be released, usually every month. In fact, I'm hard at work on the next version, which will have many additional improvements that have been requested, such as word-wrapping in the Month view and an portable version that can run from a USB drive without needing to be installed first.

Regarding the issues you've mentioned...
1. In the email to download full licensed version, the URL is incorrect, it has two periods in the version number: 7..3.0.exe The link works fine if one of the periods is removed. Just FYI in case someone would like to fix this. (I use a plain-text only email reader, in case that is relevant.)
I just double-checked the download links using a test order, and they seem to be correct, at least in my email program (Outlook). What email program do you use? At this point, my guess is that it might have something to do with how the email program is converting the HTML email to plain text, and not with the actual content of the email. Or it could have been a server glitch. Computers...
2. I don't use a calendar but prefer to work with all my events as a single list. (No problem, I have that window maximized so the calendar isn't visible.) I added a recurring event, but the list view did not refresh and show the new recurring event. I checked my selected date range and I believe it should have shown up. Non-recurring events show up immediately on the list view. The recurring events showed immediately on the calendar. The only way I could get the list view to refresh was to fully shut down and relaunch the program. How do I get the list view to refresh without closing/relaunching the program? (In case this is relevant, I am running only a single stand-alone copy of VueMinder Pro, and am not syncing/sharing with anything.)
This is a bug. I'll work on fixing it for the next version. Thank you for letting me know about the problem. In the meantime, you can force the list to refresh by adjusting the date range.
3. After adding several recurring events (with no end dates), I set my list view event date range display to a custom date range of 1/1/1900 - 12/31/2050. In xReminder Pro there is a 'show all' listing so I thought this would get me an equivalent list.

I had to close/relaunch the program to get the list view to update. Unfortunately I did not know that, unlike xReminder Pro in "show all" mode, *every occurance* of recurring events would populate on the VueMinder Pro list You can imagine how long it took for the program to reopen LOL

Pilot error to be sure! Is there an option to abort the loading of the display in order to let the program finish coming up with a blank or partial list?
The List View in VueMinder is designed to show all events that occur within the specified date range, including evey instance of a recurring events. I think it would be nice to have an option for only showing the first instance of a recurring event, or only the next instance, instead of every occurrence within the specified date range. This would allow a "Show All" mode, like you mentioned. I've added this idea to my list of future improvements. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll also improve the date range selection to give a warning when selecting a very large date range if the List is configured to show every occurrence of recurring events.
4. Is there an option in the list view, to list a recurring event just one time? In xReminder Pro I can set my view to "list all" and this will automatically switch to showing the info only for the one current (whether next or past due) incomplete occurance. Can I do this in VueMinder Pro?
Not yet, but I have this in my job jar. I'll post a reply to this thread after the improvement has been added.
5. Is there an option to show an indicator in a sortable column on the list view, for recurring events? (separate from the recurrance data/info)
The Recurrence column can be sorted, but I think you're asking for a sortable column that is just a simple yes/no of whether the event is recurring, or a simple "daily", "weekly", "monthly", "yearly" value. I've added this to my list of improvements. One cool thing you'll be able to do after this improvement is comleted would be to use the "Show Group By Box" setting to group rows by this new column, and then sort using other criteria. In other words, you'd have a collapsable grouping of all daily events, weekly events, etc., and those groups will be able to be sorted based on a different column, such as "Start". Thanks for the suggestion!
6. Likewise, Is there an option to show an indicator in a sortable column on the list view, for events with a reminder set? (separate from reminder data/info) And if the reminder has been snoozed, show a different indicator here?
There is a sortable Reminder column, but it could also benefit from a similar improvement to the one mentioned in #5 above. I've added this to my list as well.
I haven't tried out the Task list view yet, so I don't know if most of the above could apply to the Task view as well?
Yes, most of the above could also be applied to the Task list. I'll make the improvements mentioned above to both the Event and Task lists.
If I unmark this box, the categories assigned to each event are: Default, <my category>

How do I get my events imported using only the category I have specified in the excel spreadsheet?

Further, when I right-click one of these events and hover on 'categorize', and the categories list appears showing a mark next to 'default' and '<my category>', if I click on 'default' to unmark it, the mark is instead removed from <my category>, leaving 'default' as the only category assigned.
This appears to be a bug. I'll work on fixing this for the next version. In the meantime, after importing you can categorize your events by using the Categorize menu option, but instead of unchecking "Default", click the desired category name instead (even if it has a checkmark). This is kind of non-intuitive, so I'll work on improving this menu as well. It gets kind of tricky because events can have multiple categories, but the menu will assign the selected events to the clicked category only. The checkmarks are to indicate which categories are currently assigned, but don't work the way you might expect when "unchecking" a category.

I'm constantly looking for ways to improve VueMinder, and you've been a treasure-trove of new ideas. :D Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll let you know when an updated version is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

appyface

Post by appyface » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

VueSoft wrote:Hi appyface, welcome to the forums and thank you for purchasing VueMinder Calendar Pro. This program is developed for Windows 7, although it is also fully compatible with Vista and XP. You'll find I'm very receptive to suggestions and feedback. New updates and improvements continue to be released, usually every month. In fact, I'm hard at work on the next version, which will have many additional improvements that have been requested, such as word-wrapping in the Month view and an portable version that can run from a USB drive without needing to be installed first.
Hello Dan,

Thank you for your fast and considered reply! I really appreciate your willingness to address any problems and to consider my suggestions.

Regarding my emailed link, I use Windows Live Mail client on Win7-64bit, set to read all messages in plain text. Just for grins I switched to read as HTML and the result is the same, the link is bad. May I forward you the email?

Thank you for workaround to refresh the list view without full exit/relaunch of the program. I discovered changing the date refreshes the list right after I posted here! :oops:
VueSoft wrote:This appears to be a bug. I'll work on fixing this for the next version. In the meantime, after importing you can categorize your events by using the Categorize menu option, but instead of unchecking "Default", click the desired category name instead (even if it has a checkmark).
Thank you, but I'll wait for the bug fix so I can re-import. I have over 400 events I'd have to edit one at a time otherwise...

BTW, I did try selecting a group of events, then right-clicking and clicking on my desired category, but that still only sets one event. May I add this to your wishlist, the ability to mass change a group of selected events to replace whatever categories they have, with the new one(s) chosen?

Also, on the subject export/import, is there a way to import from Excel, a single event that is defined with recurring and reminder data? I created a test recurring event in VueMinder Pro and exported it to Excel, it exported as multiple individual non-recurring events without this information. Many of my 400+ events are also recurring events, I'd rather not have to hand-edit this information if I don't have to :-)

VueSoft wrote:I'm constantly looking for ways to improve VueMinder, and you've been a treasure-trove of new ideas. :D Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll let you know when an updated version is available.
Thank you again for being open to new ideas, and in advance for my future bug fixes :D In fact, I have run into a few more issues, if you would please have a look at these too?

1. When I open the program window, whether first launch or later from tray, it always comes up maximized. I've un-maximized and resized the window and closed it to the tray, when I open it again it is maximized.

Fortunately an old trick I've used for years on XP, also worked on VueMinder Pro on Win7-64 :D a) Fresh launch of program, b) un-maximize and size window, c) with window still open right-click try icon and exit program from open state, d) immediately reboot system. Program window state and size is now retained.

How can I get VueMinder's window state, size and position to be remembered by the system after each adjustment, without resorting to the old 'trick'?

2. As part of customizing my layout, I have unmarked on the View menu the showing of 'calendar items' and 'details' panes. However, each time the program is launched these panes are visible again. (They are still umarked in the View menu.) I can hide them again by marking then unmarking them in the View menu. How can I get these panes to remain off, per my selection?

3. I prefer to keep all my data and working files on a non-OS drive whenever possible. I was very happy to see VueMinder Pro offer the ability to customize the path via Options -> Program. However, I am having multiple problems getting this working.

a) With the program fully shut down, I copied the contents of the original default 'VueMinder' subdirectory, to my new location.

b) I used copy/paste to replace the default 'private data location' path with my new path (without using the browse button to find it).

c) I OK'd the Options dialog box to close it, then brought it up again. The old path remained unchanged. Browsing to my desired new path did work though.

d) I closed the program fully and relaunched, everything seemed to be in order.

e) I closed the program fully then renamed the original default 'VueMinder' subdirectory to 'VueMinder-prior'

f) I launched the program and it behaved as it did when I first installed it. The configuration wizard was offered and none of my data, layout choices, etc. were visible. The path shown under the option dialog is still the new path I had specified, however.

g) I closed the program fully and renamed the original default subdirectory back to 'VueMinder'

h) I launched the program and all back to normal

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi appyface, thank you for the feedback.
Regarding my emailed link, I use Windows Live Mail client on Win7-64bit, set to read all messages in plain text. Just for grins I switched to read as HTML and the result is the same, the link is bad. May I forward you the email?
Yes, please forward it to support@vueminder.com. Maybe you're getting a different email than what I get when performing a test order.
Thank you, but I'll wait for the bug fix so I can re-import. I have over 400 events I'd have to edit one at a time otherwise...
This will be fixed in the next version. If you'd like an earlier look, I can provide you with a pre-release beta as soon as it's ready.
BTW, I did try selecting a group of events, then right-clicking and clicking on my desired category, but that still only sets one event. May I add this to your wishlist, the ability to mass change a group of selected events to replace whatever categories they have, with the new one(s) chosen?
I assume you're doing this from the List View? If so, select all the events you want to categorize, but instead of right-clicking, use the Categorize command on the Edit menu. I believe right-clicking is causing the other selected events to become un-selected.
Also, on the subject export/import, is there a way to import from Excel, a single event that is defined with recurring and reminder data? I created a test recurring event in VueMinder Pro and exported it to Excel, it exported as multiple individual non-recurring events without this information. Many of my 400+ events are also recurring events, I'd rather not have to hand-edit this information if I don't have to.
Unfortunately, there's no way to import recurrence patterns from Excel. I thought about adding this feature, but there are so many possible combinations of recurrence patterns that it becomes difficult to express how a recurrence would be defined when using columns in Excel. The best I could do would be to allow a free-form recurrence description to be imported, and then try to translate that description into a recurrence pattern VueMinder would understand. However, from a code development perspective, that wouldn't be easy, especially after support for multiple languages has been added. From a user perspective, it might be as much work to write out the recurrence pattern descriptions in Excel (and get them written just right, so VueMinder would correctly parse the text) as it would be to simply import single occurrence events and then assign a recurrence pattern by opening the Event Editor and using the Recurrence tab.
How can I get VueMinder's window state, size and position to be remembered by the system after each adjustment, without resorting to the old 'trick'?
Right-click the VueMinder shortcut on the desktop or the Start menu, and select "Properties". In the target, remove the number following "VueMinder.exe". This should make the window remember its size, instead of becoming maximized.
2. As part of customizing my layout, I have unmarked on the View menu the showing of 'calendar items' and 'details' panes. However, each time the program is launched these panes are visible again. (They are still umarked in the View menu.) I can hide them again by marking then unmarking them in the View menu. How can I get these panes to remain off, per my selection?
This is a known bug and has been corrected for the next version. The window layout will sometimes be lost if the program is exited while minimized. The workaround is to make the main window visible before exiting the program or shutting down Windows.
3. I prefer to keep all my data and working files on a non-OS drive whenever possible. I was very happy to see VueMinder Pro offer the ability to customize the path via Options -> Program. However, I am having multiple problems getting this working.
To change the location for the data, all that you need to do is specify a new path in the Program Options window. VueMinder will handle saving the data to the new location the next time data is changed or the program exited. If you want to clean up the previous data location, you can delete all files except for "ProgramSettings.xml". This is the file VueMinder reads to tell it where the data is located. This file has to be located in the default application data directory. If you delete the file or rename the directory, VueMinder will think there's no data and that it's running for the first time. Note, the default backup path is also under the default data folder, so if you move the data you might also want to change the backup folder using "Backup Data" command on the File menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

appyface

Post by appyface » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 pm

VueSoft wrote:Yes, please forward it to support@vueminder.com. Maybe you're getting a different email than what I get when performing a test order.
Done. Thanks!
VueSoft wrote:I assume you're doing this from the List View? If so, select all the events you want to categorize, but instead of right-clicking, use the Categorize command on the Edit menu. I believe right-clicking is causing the other selected events to become un-selected.
Yes the List view, sorry for not mentioning. This worked :-) Thank you very much. I completely forgot about the menu! :oops:
VueSoft wrote:Unfortunately, there's no way to import recurrence patterns from Excel. I thought about adding this feature, but there are so many possible combinations of recurrence patterns that it becomes difficult to express how a recurrence would be defined when using columns in Excel.
The answer I expected :) Still, it doesn't hurt to ask...
VueSoft wrote:Right-click the VueMinder shortcut on the desktop or the Start menu, and select "Properties". In the target, remove the number following "VueMinder.exe". This should make the window remember its size, instead of becoming maximized.
I also needed to edit the registry "run" key. (PTL for SysInternals' "autoruns"!). Working fine now, thank you!
VueSoft wrote:This is a known bug and has been corrected for the next version. The window layout will sometimes be lost if the program is exited while minimized. The workaround is to make the main window visible before exiting the program or shutting down Windows.
Good to know the workaround, thank you. I noticed the layout was not remembered -- in particular I have moved the navigation pane to the right-hand side, this is not retained. Also, the choice 'show dockable pane titles' is not retained. I assume you also know about this last one, but I mention it in case not.

I also noticed that my custom column widths are not remembered in the List View. These are readjusted to 'fit width' after updating one of the events, not just at relaunch. Is there a way to have my custom widths honored? Sometimes it is handy to be able to shrink columns.
VueSoft wrote:To change the location for the data, all that you need to do is specify a new path in the Program Options window. VueMinder will handle saving the data to the new location the next time data is changed or the program exited. If you want to clean up the previous data location, you can delete all files except for "ProgramSettings.xml". This is the file VueMinder reads to tell it where the data is located. This file has to be located in the default application data directory. If you delete the file or rename the directory, VueMinder will think there's no data and that it's running for the first time. Note, the default backup path is also under the default data folder, so if you move the data you might also want to change the backup folder using "Backup Data" command on the File menu.
Another winner, this worked a treat. Thank you again :-)

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Also, the choice 'show dockable pane titles' is not retained. I assume you also know about this last one, but I mention it in case not.
That has been fixed as well, and was related to the other window layout problems.
I also noticed that my custom column widths are not remembered in the List View. These are readjusted to 'fit width' after updating one of the events, not just at relaunch. Is there a way to have my custom widths honored? Sometimes it is handy to be able to shrink columns.
I'll modify the list to stop auto-fitting if the user manually adjusts a column's width. This should be pretty easy to fix.

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

appyface

Post by appyface » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 pm

VueSoft wrote:The List View in VueMinder is designed to show all events that occur within the specified date range, including evey instance of a recurring events. I think it would be nice to have an option for only showing the first instance of a recurring event, or only the next instance, instead of every occurrence within the specified date range. This would allow a "Show All" mode, like you mentioned. I've added this idea to my list of future improvements. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll also improve the date range selection to give a warning when selecting a very large date range if the List is configured to show every occurrence of recurring events.
What do you think of a check box next to the date range on the list view? Mark this box to show only one entry for all recurring reminders in the selected date range, so that even a small range such as the next two weeks would still show any recurring events (such as daily) just once.

Your thoughts?

Kind regards,
--appyface

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take this into consideration as I work on updating the design to show just the first instance of a recurring event. I have a few other ideas floating around in my head, which I think might make this more intuitive. I'll let you know what I come up with!
Dan Chartrand, Founder