Use Dropbox to share

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
remo_253

Use Dropbox to share

Post by remo_253 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:09 am

For whatever reason I've not had good luck getting the calendars on my desktop and laptop to share data. I use Dropbox already to keep my bookmarks in sync. The browser on each PC has its bookmark file stored in the respective dropbox folder. I keep the bookmarks on 4 different machines in sync this way.

Can I do the same with Vueminder? I would set the "Private Data Location" on each to Dropbox. I see two possible, related, problems:

1. Since Vueminder loads at startup if the laptop is on when I do a calendar update on the desktop dropbox may not be able to update the files because they're in use. If that's the case they would never sync since Vueminder would always start before Dropbox has a chance to update the files. I'd have to start Vueminder manually on both machines then.

2. If the files are updated while the laptop is on will that cause a problem for Vueminder, as the files will change while the program's running?

On a related note, since sharing hasn't worked the two calendars are out of sync. Is there any way to merge two calendars so I don't lose any appointments from either?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Use Dropbox to share

Post by VueSoft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi remo, welcome to the forums. I'm pretty sure using Dropbox won't be compatible with sharing calendars in VueMinder if you have more than one computer running at a time. The reason is because the calendar data files are only read when the program starts. The files are updated whenever data is changed, so if you have more than one computer running VueMinder, you'll either either get file I/O errors or data saved on one computer will clobber data saved from another.

I'd recommend using the calendar sharing functionality built into VueMinder Calendar Pro, if you can get it to work. Did you follow the quick-start steps described here?

When you selected the shared data folder, did you choose a common location that all computers reference? If your computers are looking at different paths, then sharing won't work.

Also, what types of problems are you having with sharing calendars? There are a number of bugs related to calendar sharing, especially when dealing with recurring events, which have been corrected for the next release. For example, in the current version, all computers need to have their system clocks set to the same time (within a few seconds) or events won't always sync when they should. The next version eliminates this requirement. It's possible the problems you're seeing have been fixed for the next version, which will be released within a couple days.

As for merging calendars, this can be accomplished by exporting both calendars to ICS files, and then importing those ICS files into the same destination calendar. If you need more detail, please let me know.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

remo_253

Post by remo_253 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sigh....the answer's what I expected. I'll look again at sharing. I thought I had it setup correctly but after being on the road with the laptop for a month none of the changes I made showed up on the desktop.

I did find a reference to using an ICS file to merge two different calendar files. I'll do that first to get them back into sync then take another shot at setting up sharing.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:39 pm

You might be interested to know there are several corrections to calendar sharing that will be in the next version (7.3.0). It's possible these corrections will fix the problems you were seeing previously. Beta testing of version 7.3.0 is nearly completed and I expect the release will be available in the next day or two.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Version 7.3 is now available. It contains many corrections to calendar sharing over a local network. I'd recommend upgrading all computers at the same time, to avoid potential issues with having different versions of the program trying to sync through the same shared database.
Dan Chartrand, Founder