Windows Versions

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
johnmouse

Windows Versions

Post by johnmouse » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I finally got the sharing to work between 2 computers using Windows XP. I can't seem to get it to share with the laptop (Windows 7). I've tried publishing from XP and subscribing on laptop, but no ics files show in the folder I designated. Networking with Win7 to XP isn't terribly difficult, but I'm wondering if there's a compatibility issue or if it's just that I'm not doing something correctly. The shared folder path would be something like this:

\\comp1\drive D\Calendars

The other issue is that I have reminders on some calendar events. When I booted up the 2nd XP computer and got things running, there were like 5 or 6 pop-up reminders for the same event, and keeps adding recurring events within the calendar -- but only on that computer, not the host computer. (I'm probably a jinx; DOS and COBOL seem so simple now!)

I know there is some simple thing I'm either overlooking or just not doing. (I will not let the computer beat me. I will not let the computer...)

JJ

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Windows Versions

Post by VueSoft » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 am

Hi JJ, you mentioned you're sharing by publishing and subscribing ICS files. Have you tried the alternative, which is to share via the "Sharing" tab in the Calendar Properties window? This also requires a shared folder, but it uses a database instead of reading and writing ICS files. It's possible this might work better with your network setup. There's a quick-start guide here.

I hope that helps!
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

johnmouse

Post by johnmouse » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:13 am

SOLVED

Hi Dan;

It was, um, user error. After a little experimentation, I found out WHY calendars weren't showing up in the add from network box. They were added. Unticking them in the main GUI just hides that particular calendar of events, but the calendar is still active, so it can't be added.

After creating a calendar called "Something New" I could share it easily. I then deleted it only from my disktop, but kept the ability to share it. Went to add it to the laptop, and there it was.

JJ

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Glad you were able to figure out what was going on. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
:D
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA