Task problems

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
cwlorentz

Task problems

Post by cwlorentz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Can I make the due date advance if a task is not completed. The task drops off the calendar day view since the due date is not for the day being displayed.

Can I have a repeating task due date advance according to due date. Example taking out the trash if the task is assigned to Monday and not marked as completed until Tuesday your program will schedule the new task for the next Tuesday which will be one day late.

It would be nice to be able to change tasks to events and vice versa. This was a nice function in Outlook.

Thanks
Craig

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Task problems

Post by VueSoft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi cwlorentz, welcome to the forums. There is currently no option to make incomplete tasks advance to the current date until completed. However, this capabilty is something I'm planning to add in the future. I'll post a reply to this thread when this feature has been added.

The next version will have a large number of other improvements releated to tasks. One of the improvements is to make overdue tasks always display at the top of the task list in the desktop calendar. The task list in the main window will also default to grouping overdue tasks at the top. I think these improvements will help you stay on top of incomplete/overdue tasks since they'll be easier to see.

The next version is also adding the ability to repeat tasks based on due date instead of completion date, as you requested in your post.

Other non-related improvements to tasks will include:
- Import/export to Outlook, CSV, Excel, and iCalendar files
- Ability to customize how overdue, upcoming, and completed tasks appear (color, font, etc).
- Ability to define default settings and reminders for new tasks
- Ability to cut/copy/paste tasks
- Ability to configure a program to automatically run when a task’s starting time is reached
- And many other improvements to task editing, such as better drag/drop, much faster performance, and decreased memory use

These improvements (and many more) have been completed and will be in 7.3.0, which should be available by the end of the month and possibly sooner, depending on how long beta testing takes.

As for converting a task to an event, or vice versa, I've added this to my list of future improvements. I think this would be a nice addition. Thank you for the suggestion and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

cwlorentz

Post by cwlorentz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Back in ancient times "WANG" "mini" computers we made the task able to repeat by due date or calculate from completion date. I did not change the due date of the task to the current date but displayed the task much as you described as past due on the current date, however when we marked the task as complete we assigned the next due date according to options set at the system and task level, and verified the next due date. We also created a new task if the task was repeating for the repeat date even if the last task was not completed this created multiple tasks. Often users had assigned the job to someone else and had not updated their schedule, however if the 1st task was overdue and you now had a new task it was difficult to miss. We provided a system option to show overdue tasks, this plus the creation of the new task on the next due date made it apparent that the task had not been completed.

If you have any questions as to why or need examples of tasks that require these options please let me know. I appreciate the quick response you provided.

Thanks
Craig

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Version 7.3 is now available. In the new version, you'll find a "Calculate new due date using" input field in the text editor window. This field allows you to choose whether the task should repeat based on due date or completion date. Each task can have its own setting. I hope this new feature will meet your needs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

cwlorentz

Post by cwlorentz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 am

I like the way you handled the changes to calculate the new due date. However, I don't see how I can set the past due task to display in the calendar for any date but the date it was due. I may have missed the option or maybe that change has not been made. If this option is available please let me know and I will start using it.

The program seems to be running faster with each update. It is nice to see better memory utilization and program performance while more functions are being added. Too many programmers today seem to believe that the faster computer of tomorrow will cover up their sloppy programming today.

I am very impressed with your quick response to my suggestions. If you ever need a testimonial on your product support I would be happy to provide one.

Thanks Again
Craig

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Craig, I'm still planning to improve tasks so there's an option for overdue tasks to automatically move to the current date. I wasn't able to get this completed in time for 7.3.0, but I'll see if I can get this into the next version.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions, and maybe I can work those into the next version as well.
Dan Chartrand, Founder