Moving the Data folder to new location

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
coastalguy

Moving the Data folder to new location

Post by coastalguy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:05 am

When installing my many applications that either creates, updates or deletes user data, I move that data "folder" to a central location for several reasons:
1. To have all of my personal data, in one location to provide a quick backup of it with one command.
2. To have all of my personal data, on a drive I can remove, to quickly disable access to it in case of a hack.
3. To make them portable, allowing updates to the same data, regardless of which computer I am on.

On my VueMinder Pro USB, I found that it also has a separate data folder, that contains the user data, that can be moved, however I could not find a program setting allowing the path to this data to be changed to the new location. While I did find a backup and restore function to make a backup, this only provides a backup in another location, not a new location of the actual data that the program refers to.

Unless I have missed this option, so far this is the only application where user data options are possible, that I have been unable to move, and re-point that new location in the programs preferences. Is this possible?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Moving the Data folder to new location

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi coastalguy, welcome to the forums. The USB version is designed to save the data under the same folder where the USB version runs. This enables the USB version to run directly from a cloud drive or USB stick on any computer, without needing to manually copy the data around. Unfortunately, there’s no way to override this behavior and make the USB version save/load its data from some other location. For that, you’d need to use the non-USB version and specify the desired folder in the “Data folder” field on the Program Options window. You could install the non USB version on multiple computers and point them all to the same data folder, but take care that you don’t run simultaneously on multiple computers because changes made on one computer could overwrite changes made on another.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA