I combine reminders into a single Popup Reminder window to save desktop space. The window is usually open, showing several reminders which are not time critical (as a checklist). I don't use the "Always on top" option, which frequently leaves the window covering something I need to see, type, or click on. Adding transparency doesn't help much. I don't use Desktop Alerts for the same reason; they take more desktop space, and their opening position cannot be configured.
The Popup Reminder window behavior depends on the Task View settings for VueMinder windows:
1) If Show VueMinder Windows on All Desktops Is ON
If the Popup Reminder window is open, then it appears on all virtual desktops. A new reminder (Event, Task, or expired snooze) brings it in front of the VueMinder main window (if visible), but still behind any windows that are in front of the VueMinder main window.
If the Popup Reminder window is not open, then a new reminder opens the window in front of the VueMinder main window (if visible), and sometimes in front of some or all other windows. There are some weird inconsistencies -- For example, if SeaMonkey Composer is open (or has been open recently), then the Popup Reminder window reliably opens in front of all other windows. It seems like something funny is going on with the Windows front/back window stack. I don't know whether other apps have a similar effect.
2) If Show VueMinder Windows on All Desktops Is OFF
If the Popup Reminder window is visible on the current (visible) virtual desktop, then a new reminder usually does not bring it to the front of all windows (as described in 1).
If the Popup Reminder window is on a different virtual desktop, then a new reminder updates the window on that desktop, and may bring it to the front on that desktop. But it still is not visible on the current virtual desktop.
If the Popup Reminder window is not open, then a new reminder opens the window on the current desktop, sometimes in front of some or all other windows (as described in 1).
3) If Show Popup Reminder Window on All Desktops Is ON
This Task View setting does not "stick" when the window closes and reopens. The Popup Reminder window behaves the same as in 1) until it closes. Next time it opens, it behaves as in 2).
4) Only one virtual desktop (i.e. not using Task View)
This situation is equivalent to 1).
I don't know the Windows API for this stuff, but I imagine Microsoft changes it now and then. I can only suggest some "brute force" tactics:
- Current Desktop: When adding a reminder to the Popup Reminder window, VueMinder could close the window and reopen it. That should cause it to appear on the current virtual desktop in all cases.
- Front: If there is no system call which reliably brings the Popup Reminder window to the front of all other windows, then I would suggest this: If the VueMinder Reminder option "Always on top" is not set, then VueMinder could turn it ON for a second and turn it back OFF.
- Reminder Window on All Desktops: Before closing the Popup Reminder window (for any reason), VueMinder could note whether its Task View option "Show this window on all desktops" is set. If so, then it could turn that option ON again after opening the window. If there is no way to query that option, then perhaps you could add a setting "On all virtual desktops" (next to "Always on top") in the VueMinder Options > Reminders and Event Completion dialog. If set, then VueMinder could turn on "Show this window on all desktops" after opening the Popup Reminder window.
- VueMinder Ultimate USB 2021.01
- Windows 10 Home 20H2, 64-bit — Dell XPS 8900, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB