- Desktop Share Options: No files or programs from the shared folder are available offline.
- Laptop Mapping Options: net use H: \\<Desktop>\C /writethrough
- Events created by typing into a time slot in Day or Week view appear on the other PC, usually pretty quickly.
- Events modified either by the Event Editor or by dragging an event to a different time slot in Day or Week view update on the other PC, usually pretty quickly. Same for dragging a selection of multiple events together.
I spent several afternoons testing 2-Way Sync. On both desktop and laptop, I checked ICS file mod times (using dir), and checked ICS file contents using a text editor (gvim). In all cases, when an ICS file was modified on one PC, the mod time and contents looked the same on the other PC. I'm confident that my problems are not caused by Windows file sharing.
Eventually I narrowed down the following consistent behaviors:
- If an event is created using the Event Editor, then the new event does not appear in the local ICS file unless I manually sync the calendar, or some later edit triggers a sync. Until that sync, the the ICS file is incorrect.
- If a modified ICS file includes an event deletion and some other change, then the PC syncing from that file ignores the deletion(s), and the "deleted" event(s) remains in view. In this case the VueMinder view is incorrect. One example is the ICS file described in A, containing an addition and a deletion. Another example is an ICS file with multiple deletions, produced by selecting multiple events and deleting them as a single action.
Here is the sequence I used to check that these behaviors are consistent. Reddish text indicates error conditions.
On Both PCs:
1. Create an empty event calendar with 2-Way Sync to a shared ICS file.
On PC 1 (Desktop, in this example):
2. Create Event 1 by typing into a Week View time slot:
- Event 1 appears in Desktop Week View.
- Event 1 appears in ICS file.
- Event 1 appears in Laptop Week View.
- Event 2 appears in Desktop Week View.
- Event 2 is MISSING from the ICS file (problem A).
- Event 2 is MISSING from Laptop Week View.
- Event 1 is gone from Desktop Week View.
- Event 1 is gone from the ICS file.
- Event 2 is now in the ICS file.
- BOTH Event 1 [deleted] (problem B example 1) and Event 2 appear in Laptop Week View.
5. Sync the calendar:
- BOTH Event 1 [deleted] and Event 2 appear in the ICS file.
- BOTH Event 1 [deleted] and Event 2 appear in both PCs' Week Views.
6. Select both Event 1 and Event 2, and delete them:
- Both events are gone from Laptop Week View.
- Both events are gone from the ICS file.
- Both events REMAIN VISIBLE in Desktop Week View (problem B example 2).
For now I have switched my calendars from Sync to Publish. When I need to travel with the laptop, I copy VueMinder\Data\*.bin to the VueMinder USB directory on the laptop, and copy them back on return. It works, but does not allow the desktop and laptop PCs to have different sets of calendars.
- VueMinder Pro (Trial) — Used for this testing
- VueMinder Ultimate USB — Current license
- Windows 10 Home 20H2, 64-bit — Dell XPS 8900, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB
- Windows 10 Home 2004, 64-bit — ASUS Transformer Mini, 1.44 GHz, 4 GB
The big question is whether these problems are reproducible. Please let me know what you think, and whether you need any further information.