Server off-line after upgrade 2020.08

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
apelec

Server off-line after upgrade 2020.08

Post by apelec » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:09 am

VM-Image 1.png
VM-Image 1.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 70 times
I assume this is the SQL server

when I click to reconnect I get
VM-Image 2.png
VM-Image 2.png (888 Bytes) Viewed 70 times
A connection test is successful
The Log does not open

My crafted colour scheme has vanished, is that saved on the server?

Two events occurred that might give you a clue to what is happening:

1. I skip a few versions because I could not upgrade dotNet until today

2. The PC on which the calendar was originally created is no more (I have an export copy)

Is it safe to add new contacts & events?

Your help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Server off-line after upgrade 2020.08

Post by VueSoft » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:12 am

Hi apelec, the problem you're seeing is due to using an older version of MySQL Server which was created before support for UTF-8 was added. You can fix the problem by updating to the recommended version of MySQL Server for VueMinder, which is version 5.7.22.1. The download link is below:
https://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MyS ... 7.22.1.msi

Your custom color scheme should not have vanished when you updated. I don't know what happened there. The colors are synced with MySQL Server, but they are also saved locally. How were you coloring events? Were the colors based on calendar, category, priority, or location? Maybe the color mode got reset. Try the options under the "View -> Color Events Using" menu command. Hopefully selecting one of those color modes will result in your events being colored the way they were previously.

You can create new contacts and events when VueMinder isn't connected to MySQL Server. That data is also stored locally and will sync to the server if/when the connection is restored.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

apelec

Post by apelec » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 am

Thanks Dan

I have MySQL version 5.1.37 running on an ancient Ubuntu server. That server cannot be upgraded and wont take a more recent MySQL.

it is set to character_set_system utf8 is that not good enough?

I am cursing myself for upgrading VM, can I easily downgrade by overwriting the VueMinder folder from backup? that would give me time to install MySQL on an other box

Next question is how to transfer VM dB between MySQL, is it just data export/import?

Best wishes

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:07 am

Hi apelec, you can revert to the 2020.03 version of VueMinder. Use the "uninstall a program" area of the Control Panel to uninstall VueMinder (this won't remove any data). After uninstalling, use the link below to download and reinstall version 2020.03:
https://www.vueminder.com/download/VueM ... 020.03.exe

To migrate your database to a new server, please follow these steps:
  1. Make sure VueMinder is fully exited on ALL computers.
  2. Install MySQL Server on your new server by following the steps in the documentation linked below.
    https://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
  3. On all computers except the one that contains all the data, download and run the utility linked below to completely reset the data (the data will be restored in later steps).
    https://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip
  4. Start VueMinder on the computer where all the data is present.
  5. Open the Calendar Properties of each shared calendar and uncheck the box labeled “Share with VueMinder on other computers” on the Sync tab. If you don’t see the Sync tab because the calendar is owned by a different account, open the Sharing Options and enter the account’s name (also make sure you haven’t entered the new server name at this point). VueMinder should still be running in offline mode.
  6. Open the Sharing Options and enter the name of your new server.
  7. Re-open the Calendar Properties of each calendar you’d like to share, and check the box labeled “Share with VueMinder on other computers”.
  8. On all the other computers, open the Sharing Options and enter the new server name. The shared calendars should re-appear after clicking OK (this might take a minute).
Dan Chartrand, Founder

apelec

Post by apelec » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 am

Useful thank you, I shortly will have a new SQL server ready. For added piece of mind I would like to save the local data, not an export, the real thing. Where is is stored please.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am

Hi apelec, the path where the data is stored locally can be found in the Program Options, accessed via the Options menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder