Default Calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
chota300

Default Calendar

Post by chota300 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 pm

I may be confused here, but I searched Help and cannot find Help on "Default Calendar".
I use the Month view most often.
On the pane in the lower left I have my own calendar "locked" as my default calendar.
On the pane in the middle left, an arrow most often points to my calendar.
Sometimes that arrow points to a shared calendar on my LAN.
I do not how/why that arrow moves between calendars.
That behavior aside, I most often create a new event by double-clicking on blank space in a calendar day in Month view.
Sometimes the new event opens in my own calendar and sometimes in the LAN shared calendar, even though my own default calendar remains "locked" in the lower left pane.
I expect "locked" to mean that new events are by default created in that default calendar, but apparently that is not the case.
If my expectations are incorrect, please refer me to the applicable Help pages.
If VM is not behaving as it should, please address the issue at some point. Not a high priority.
My goal is simple to always create new events in my own calendar by default.
Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Default Calendar

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi John, thanks for the feedback. The arrow next to the calendar names indicates which calendar is "active". If you haven't locked a different calendar to be the default calendar, then double-clicking a date will use the active calendar as the default calendar for a new item.

The "active" calendar is also the calendar that is currently displayed when your calendar view has been configured (via the Settings button in the upper-right corner of the view) to not overlay all calendars into a single view.

If you're seeing a different calendar be the default (e.g., not the calendar that is "locked" as the default) when double-clicking a date to create a new item, then that sounds like a bug. I haven't been able to replicate this behavior yet, but I'll investigate further and I'll post a reply when a correction is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

chota300

Post by chota300 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 pm

I should have noted that I am using the latest 64-bit VM Pro on Win10 with all Windows Updates.
I saw the same behavior on the latest latest 64-bit VM Pro on Win7 with all Windows Updates.

It MIGHT be that I accidentally click on an event in the LAN calendar before double-clicking in the blank space.
I see that action switches the "active" calendar, but does not change the default calendar.
But I am not sure that is always the case/cause.
Even if that is the cause, I do not think that should change the default calendar for the new event.

And I am afraid I still do not understand "active" calendar.
I have always seen both my own and my shared LAN calendar merged into a common view of every event in each day.
We use event colors to distinguish events from each calendar.
I do not see any anything in Settings of my own Calendar Properties to suggest any other view is possible.
I searched Help for "active calendar" but found no help on that combination of terms.
If such a setting may help me to document the behavior further, please explain further.
But I suspect I already use the proper settings so no further explanation will help me to help you.

Good luck. Not urgent.
For now I just need to be careful when I create a new event, because I am a contributor to the LAN calendar.
Thanks again.

chota300

Post by chota300 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am

Yep ... I think that is the issue.
I tested again.
A new event is by default created in the "active" calendar, not in the "default" calendar.
So a user must be careful where he/she clicks before creating a new event.
Not what I would expect, but ok if you say that is the correct behavior.
Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:05 pm

It appears the default calendar selection isn't being properly applied to new events. I'll fix this in the next release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:11 pm

This has been corrected in version 2020.04. To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder