failing sync with Google Calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
koolsbergen

failing sync with Google Calendar

Post by koolsbergen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:10 pm

A couple of days I installed VueMinder Pro. I am almost sure that all settings are correct, but synchronisation with the Google Calendar does not work. From time to time the program reports (at the left of the status bar) that it's synchronising with Google Calendar, followed by "ready" but it does not really happen. The reminder at the right in the status bar about the last synchronisation does not change, neither does the Google Calendar. Only after complete new installation I succeeded in synchronisation -- once.... "Sync Now" does not work either. I de-installed en re-installed the program several times.
The problem is that the ONLY reason to acquire VueMinder was its possibility to sync with Google Calendar automatically. Without it the program is worthless for me. The free Lite one-way sync version worked perfectly but I absolutely need the 2-way option. Does anyone recognise the problem? Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: failing sync with Google Calendar

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi koolsbergen, welcome to the forums. To fix the problem, please try the following steps:

1. Delete the calendar in VueMinder that you are attempting to sync.
2. From the File menu, select "Add Google Calendar". A window will appear listing the calendars you have defined in Google.
3. Select the desired calendar name from the list, and then click the "Add Calendar" button. The calendar will be added to VueMinder and should automatically sync within a few seconds.

Also, if you'd like more detailed instructions, they can be found here.

If it still doesn't work, then it's possible you have some security or firewall settings that are preventing VueMinder from successfully syncing with Google Calendar. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you're still unable to get it to work, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

koolsbergen

Post by koolsbergen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:41 am

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your quick response. I followed your instructions and synchronisation seems to work now. I also added an item to the calendar in VueMinder which popped up in the Google Calendar within one minute! However, I also removed an item from VueMinder that is still (after 30 minutes) present in Google. FYI, I am synchronising with a big Google Calendar (2400 items over about 7 years).
One other question: I want to categorise a number of items, particularly birthdays. I also consider to customise some category colours. Does this affect Google Calendar or synchronisation?
Thanks again!
Nico

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:41 pm

There is a known problem where events are sometimes not deleted from Google Calendar when deleted in VueMinder. I'm working on fixing this for the next release, but it's difficult to track down because it usually works (at least for me!).

Regarding categories, these will sync with Google Calendar, so if you're using VueMinder on other computers that are also syncing with Google Calendar, you'll see the same categories in VueMinder. However, only the event/calendar colors will sync, not category/priority/location colors. Also, none of this will be visible in your Google Calendar when viewed over the web, only VueMinder.

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Version 7.2.0 has been released and contains corrections to Google Calendar syncing. Hopefully these corrections resolve the problem you're seeing with events not being properly deleted from Google Calendar after being deleted in VueMinder. Also, one thing I forgot to mention previously is the Google Calendar web page might not automatically refresh. If you delete an event in VueMinder Calendar but still see it in Google Calendar, try clicking the Refresh link in Google Calendar to refresh the page. Sometimes Google Calendar will refresh on its own, but it doesn't do it very often.

If you still see problems syncing, the "Sync Now" menu command has been improved. Instead of only syncing the events VueMinder thinks have changed since the last sync, ALL events will be synced to ensure both VueMinder Calendar and Google Calendar have the same data. This menu command should clear up any problems with events not being deleted or updated as expected, which could possibly still happen, but should be less likely due to the other corrections and improvements that have been made in 7.2.0.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

cybrarianfirst

Post by cybrarianfirst » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:26 am

How do you do Number 1??

??

Thanks!

koolsbergen

Post by koolsbergen » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am

Dear all,
Just to let you know that my problems were solved after deleting the Google calendar and creating a new one. Version 7.2.0 had problems starting up minimized but in 7.2.1 this was fixed and VueMInder Pro now works fine for me. Great program! Thanks :D

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:52 pm

How do you do Number 1??
In the list of calendars, right-click the calendar you're trying to sync with Google Calendar and then select the "Delete Calendar" command from the popup menu. After doing this, you can continue with step 2 in my post above.

I hope that helps!
Dan Chartrand, Founder

glowrider

Post by glowrider » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Just downloaded the trial and only one of my calendars is syncing with Google. I have gone through the steps a dozen times. Pulling my hair out. My home calendar seems to sync fine, but not the single most important calendar I have...Without it, fairly useless, and so far this app seems to be the only one that can do the things I want...but it ain't working...HELP!!!

(Oh, and in another calendar it only syncs 18 events (there are well over 100 defined on google)...So it is working on one calendar, not working on another, and half working elsewhere.

Could this be an issue with recurring events? That seems to be most of what is missing...)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi glowrider, welcome to the forums. It's possible the default setting of only syncing events created withing the last 60 days is what's biting you. Try opening the Calendar Properties window (via the Edit menu or by double-clicking the calendar name), go to the "Google Calendar" tab, and change the setting for syncing old events. Increase it to something larger. For example, if you've been using Google Calendar for 5 years, enter 1800. This might result in it taking longer to sync, but it should cause all your events to be found. You can then reduce the number to something more reasonable, after all the old events are synced into VueMinder.

If this doesn't seem to do anything, try deleting the calendar from VueMinder and use the "Add Google Calendar" command to re-add it, selecting the 1800 days value in the "Add Google Calendar" window.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you still don't see all your events.
Dan Chartrand, Founder