Colors lost Categories gone all wierd

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
slouw

Colors lost Categories gone all wierd

Post by slouw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Some time ago I lost all colors.
I have this setting active:
View > Color Events Using > Category Colors.
And when I go to check my categories I see all this wierd shit see below.
I can recolor the categories that seems to work.
But how do I get rid of all these extra entries?
Please help :)

slouw

Re: Colors lost Categories gone all wierd

Post by slouw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Here is a clearer view of all the garbage in my category listing.
I cannot select multiple categories to delete so it would be a massive job manaully deleting each 1 by 1.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:27 pm

The bug that caused this was fixed in version 2018.02. I see from your screenshot you're still using 2018.01.
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/what ... orrections

If the problem happened recently, you might be able to recover your previous category data by using the "File -> Restore Data" menu command. You can also select the garbage categories and click the Delete button to remove them.

I'd recommend updating to the latest version (2019.01) so this doesn't happen again. To update, click the "Help -> Check for Updates" menu command.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

slouw

Post by slouw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:07 am

I have updated to the current version.
Is there something else I should do?
Issue has not gone away
thx...

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 am

The update will prevent the problem from happening again, but won't fix the categories if they were already messed up when running with the previous version. You'll need to select each category that you don't want and click the Delete button.

If you don't care about losing category colors, and don't want to manually delete the garbage categories, then try these steps instead:
1. Click the “Options -> Program” menu command.
2. Click the folder button/icon in the right side of the “Data folder” field. This will open the data folder in File Explorer.
3. Exit VueMinder using the “File -> Exit” menu command.
4. Delete the files named “categories.xml”, “categories.bin”, and “categories.backup” (if present).
5. Restart VueMinder. You should see the correct category names now (no XML code), and the problem should not return if you’re running with the latest version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

slouw

Post by slouw » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 am

Thanking you....

Tochan1983

Post by Tochan1983 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 pm

I have this problem too. I have VueMinder 2019-1 installed on Windows 10. Believe I installed 2019-1 around 12/2018. My categories was working fine different categories was working fine, Category color displayed fine on screen as well as print. Then all sudden last week colors began displaying in shades of gray, Did not change any options (file, view, tools, etc.)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Thank you for the information. Version 2019.01 wasn't released until Feb 2019. I'm not sure what would cause the category colors to spontaneously reset. Are you see the weird XML category names too?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Tochan1983

Post by Tochan1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 am

In any event I am on 2019=1 according to Help>ViewMinder. No XML is shown for Tools>Categories... nor in the Category box in the Event/Appointment window.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 am

Thank you for the information. It sounds like the problem you encountered with colors disappearing is not the same problem slouw encountered, which was due to the categories XML file in the previous version becoming corrupted while being saved.

That being said, I have no idea why the category colors would disappear when using the latest version. This is not a problem I've been able to duplicate. I'll investigate further.

Can you confirm your category colors are definitely all gray now? Do you see any colors when editing the categories using the "Tools -> Categories" menu command? Does clicking the "View -> Color Events Using -> Category Colors" menu command make any difference?
Dan Chartrand, Founder