Bugs in 2016.02?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
renehoss

Bugs in 2016.02?

Post by renehoss » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:53 pm

I have noticed 2 bugs/problems with the new version 2016.02:

- The tooltip is missing again, Windows 10 pro 64bit. i have checked the corresponding options to show the tooltips and the full date in the program options section;

- i have set the properties for any events to show a desktop alert 4 hours in advance. This desktop alert does show, however since the new version the "date:" field is empty, it does not show the date belonging to the event. If I hover the mouse over the event in the main calendar it does show a popup with the correct date. I think this is a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Bugs in 2016.02?

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi renehoss, welcome to the forums. I haven't been able to duplicate either of the problems you're seeing, nor has anyone else reported these errors. I'm not yet sure what is causing the problems since it appears to work as expected when I test it.

It's possible something went wrong with the update installation. You can use the Control Panel to uninstall VueMinder (this won’t remove any data). Reboot after uninstalling. Next, download and reinstall using the link below:
http://www.vueminder.com/Download.aspx

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

renehoss

Post by renehoss » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:19 am

Hello.
I tried uninstallation and reinstall, problem with the tooltip not showing remains.

However, I have managed to narrow down the problem with the blank date field in the desktop alert. It seems to have to do with the format in which Windows displays the date.

In the Region section of the Control panel you can set the format for date and time, I have it set to Ireland. In the box for "Short date" you can set it either to "dd/MM/yyyy" (this shows the date as "09/01/2016") or to "d MMM yyyy" (this shows the date as "9 Jan 2016"). If I set the format to this last option the date field shows correctly in the desktop alert of VueMinder. If I set it to the first option (the option I would like it to be) then the date field remains empty as mentioned earlier.

So maybe there is somewhere a problem where VueMinder doesn't work well with the way the format of the date is set in Windows. I do hope that there is some way this can be corrected.

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:38 am

Hi renehoss, thank you for the information. I tested with Windows 10 64-bit using the default Irish date format ("dd/MM/yyyy"), but I was unable to replicate the problem with the date not appearing in the desktop alert. The tooltips also appeared.

Please try these steps:
1. Open the Control Panel (not the Windows 10 Settings).
2. Go to the "Clock, Language, and Region" section.
3. Click "Change date, time, or number formats".
4. Click the "Additional settings" button on the Formats tab.
5. Click the "Date" tab.
6. Click the "Reset" button.
7. Click OK twice.
8. Exit and restart VueMinder.

Does that fix the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

renehoss

Post by renehoss » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:29 am

Unfortunately none of these suggestions helped.
I managed to narrow down the problem even further!
The problem only occurs with events that are set as "all day event".
The problem is not only in the desktop alert itself but also visible if I press "preview".
My problem seems to be very specific... :(

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 am

Hi renehoss, thank you for the information. I'm still unable to replicate the problem so I'm not exactly sure what is causing it. However, there's also an option in VueMinder for changing the date/time format. Maybe adjusting that option would help. Open the Calendar Options (from the Options menu) and try changing the "Date/time format" value. Do any of the provided formats fix the problem?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

renehoss

Post by renehoss » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:04 am

Thank you for your suggestion, this seems to help... a little.

Regional settings for date/time are set for Ireland and the short date format is set on dd/MM/yyyy (e.g. 11/01/2016).
Then available settings for the date/time format in VueMinder (Calendar options) are:
Monday 11 January 2016 08:46
Monday, January 11, 2016 08:46
11/01/2016 08:46
1/11/2016 08:46 AM

Only the first two options work; if I set the option to one of the last two the desktop alert shows an empty date field.
This only happens with events that are set to "all day event", if I choose any other duration setting for an event the desktop alert is displayed OK.
Strange, but I will set the date/time option in Vueminder to the first one and it will be OK, somewhat... :)

Thank you.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:26 am

Hi renehoss, thank you for the information. I'll continue to investigate.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

SLOGoing

Post by SLOGoing » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:20 am

When I go into Options => Email Settings, the following error occurs:

========
VueMinder 2016.02 (Registered)
Language: en

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.ISpDataKey'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{14056581-E16C-11D2-BB90-00C04F8EE6C0}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
mscorlib
at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
at System.Speech.Internal.SapiInterop.ISpDataKey.OpenKey(String subKeyName, ISpDataKey& ppSubKey)
at System.Speech.Internal.ObjectTokens.RegistryDataKey.OpenKey(String keyName)
at System.Speech.Internal.ObjectTokens.ObjectToken.get_Attributes()
at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis.BuildInstalledVoices(VoiceSynthesis voiceSynthesizer)
at System.Speech.Internal.Synthesis.VoiceSynthesis..ctor(WeakReference speechSynthesizer)
at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.get_VoiceSynthesizer()
at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.GetInstalledVoices()
at Vuesoft.Applications.Vueminder.FormOptions.InitializeStrings()
at Vuesoft.Applications.Vueminder.FormOptions..ctor(UltraCalendarInfo calendarInfo, String initialTabKey)

=====================

If I click the Close button, I am sent to the email options screen, but nothing I input is retained once I leave that screen. I have .NET 4.5 and did a full install of .NET 4.6.1 on my machine to make sure everything was there. I've also tried doing a repair of VueMinder, but that did not work.

Forgot to say this is on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi SLOGoing, the problem you're seeing could happen if you have a 3rd party Text-to-Speech (TTS) application installed. It might have messed up the registration of the built-in Windows TTS libraries that VueMinder users.

I'll fix the error message in the next version, but if you use voice reminders in VueMinder, they might not work.

You might be able to fix the problem using one of these suggestions:
  • Uninstall any 3rd party applications that have their own TTS engines. If you don't do anything with TTS, then you can problem skip this suggestion.
  • Install .NET Framework 4.6, if you haven't already.
  • Repair your Windows installation.
Dan Chartrand, Founder