Using Vueminder on two non-networked computers

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
bill@spikowski.com

Using Vueminder on two non-networked computers

Post by bill@spikowski.com » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I've been testing Vueminder on my office computer and viewing my calendars on other devices in Google Calendar. The absence of text wrapping in Google Calendar is appalling!

My license says I can run Vueminder on another computer. If I install it on my home computer and use it to view and edit the same calendar files, will that mess anything up? (I assume the calendars are stored locally on one machine and I don't want to mess things up by storing them on a second machine.)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Using Vueminder on two non-networked computers

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:57 pm

You can install your same license on any number of computers where you (or a family member living in the same residence) will be the only user. You can also configure each installation to sync with your same Google Calendar. Any changes you make on one computer will automatically appear on your other computer(s), within about 30-60 seconds.

VueMinder was designed for this type of syncing. The data is stored locally (for offline viewing) but will be kept in sync with Google Calendar when a network connection is available. You shouldn't see any problems when syncing multiple computers with Google Calendar.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

bill@spikowski.com

Post by bill@spikowski.com » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:03 pm

OK, thanks. I just installed Vueminder on my home computer. I had no trouble syncing with my Google Calendar and my wife's too, but I don't see the events I added through Vueminder. I think I know how to 'import' them; is that necessary?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Can you clarify? You're not seeing the events you previously created in VueMinder on your other computer? If that's the case, please make sure the calendar that is associated with the events you created has been configured to sync 2-way with Google Calendar. To do this, open the Calendar Properties by double-clicking the calendar's name. Click the "Sync" tab and make sure the box labeled "Sync with Google Calendar" has a check mark. Check the box if necessary. Your calendar will upload to your Google Calendar account and will then be available to be added using the "Add Google Calendar" command on your other computers.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bill@spikowski.com

Post by bill@spikowski.com » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:21 am

Correct -- I'm not seeing events I previously created in VueMinder on my other computer.

Syncing with Google Calendar is working properly; I can see all my calendars in Google Calendar.

I think I used the wrong Google account when I installed Vueminder on the second computer. I found instructions in your help system on how to correct this, but when I follow them, I get the attached error message and I'm still corrected to the wrong account. I've tried rebooting, and reinstalling Vueminder, but the same things happen.

Any ideas on what else I can do to disconnect from the wrong Google account?
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (113.56 KiB) Viewed 17466 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi Bill, please try this:

1. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting “Exit”.

2. In Windows Explorer, Delete the folder named "C:\Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Roaming\VueMinder.Google.Auth". Replace YourLoginName with the account name you use for logging into Windows. Also, Windows Explorer will need to be configured to show hidden folders.

3. Restart VueMinder and try the “Add Google Calendar” command again.

Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bill@spikowski.com

Post by bill@spikowski.com » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:42 am

I was trying to puzzle this out yesterday and stumbled on that file (VueMinder.Google.Auth) and was sure I had found the key to fixing my problem!

But deleting that file doesn't do the trick. When I relaunch Vueminder, that file gets automatically recreated and still connects me to my wife's Google account instead of mine; the "Use a different account" feature still fails.

I've tried it a half dozen times with the same result.

Still stumped!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Bill, after deleting the VueMinder.Google.Auth file, you need to open your web browser and log out of your wife's account. Log into the account you want to sync with VueMinder. Restart VueMinder and delete any calendars that were previously configured to sync with Google Calendar by right-clicking their names and selecting "Delete Calendar". You can then use the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu to add the calendars that are in account that is currently logged into your web browser.

If that doesn't work, try clicking the "Use a different account" button in the top-left corner of the "Add Google Calendar" window. A message will appear with instructions. Please make sure to follow those instructions exactly in the order written. Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder

bill@spikowski.com

Post by bill@spikowski.com » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Bill, after deleting the VueMinder.Google.Auth file, you need to open your web browser and log out of your wife's account.
Wasn’t signed in, that I can tell... – but Google Accounts are still a mystery to me; I could be signed in on a errant Chrome process or who knows how else. This time I killed all processes that could even remotely be able to be tied to a Google Account.

Log into the account you want to sync with VueMinder. Restart VueMinder and delete any calendars that were previously configured to sync with Google Calendar by right-clicking their names and selecting "Delete Calendar".
I don’t see of the other calendars listed. I do see them on the “Add Google Calendar” dialog box, but there’s no way to delete them (no menu choices, no radio buttons, no context menus).

You can then use the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu to add the calendars that are in account that is currently logged into your web browser.
It gives me the choices of which accounts to use; doesn’t seem to matter what account I’m already logged into. This time I was logged into my account; I selected my account again and got the same error message I had already posted. On the “Add Google Calendar” dialog box, my wife’s account is still listed at the top.

If that doesn't work, try clicking the "Use a different account" button in the top-left corner of the "Add Google Calendar" window. A message will appear with instructions.

Right, I get these instructions each time I try, but following them just repeats the cycle.

Please make sure to follow those instructions exactly in the order written. Does that fix it?

I followed them as religiously as possible (with the exceptions noted above).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi Bill, thank you for the information. Unfortunately I'm unable to duplicate the problem and I haven't been able to determine what is causing it. I'm planning to update VueMinder to use the latest Google Calendar API - which may or may not fix the problem you're seeing. This improvement will be in the next release.
Dan Chartrand, Founder