Sharing problems: colors and calendar names

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
don9172

Sharing problems: colors and calendar names

Post by don9172 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 pm

I just set up local network sharing (via mySQL) today between my desktop PC (as Host, running Windows 10) and my laptop (Windows 7). Everything installed fine and was going well, setting up both computers for full sharing rights, both set to share calendar and category appearances, etc. After the initial sync and seeing that my events came over to the laptop, I found two issues:

1. The various category colors that I had set up on the desktop did not come over to the laptop. On the laptop they all showed as one orange-yellow color.

2. I noticed that VueMinder created a second version of my "Dons Calendar", naming it "Dons Calendar (2)". Then I noticed that on the host desktop PC, Dons calendar has 955 events and Dons (2) has zero events, while on the laptop, Dons has 958 events and Dons (2) has 58 events. The only other calendar I have is US Holidays.

I have VueMinder Pro version 11.2.9 on both computers. I would very much appreciate a solution to these issues. Thank you

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sharing problems: colors and calendar names

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi Don, welcome to the forums.

1. It sounds like the color mode you're using on your other computer might be different. On the computer where the correct colors are showing, click the View menu and make a note of the option that is checked under "Color Events Using". On your other computer, select the same option under "View -> Color Event Using". The colors should match.

2. I believe you already had a local calendar named "Don's Calendar" on your other computer, prior to enabling sharing. Since the shared calendar is a different calendar, and the calendar names need to be unique, when the shared calendar was added to your other computer the name was appended with a "(2)".

The easiest way to fix the problem would be to export the events from whichever calendar is not shared .You can tell if a calendar is shared by looking at the icon in the calendar list. If the calendar is shared, it will have a hand below the icon. Export the events to an ics file and then delete the non-shared calendar. Next, import the ics file into the shared calendar. You should end up with a single "Don's Calendar" on both computers. If you need to rename the calendar to remove the (2), right-click the calendar's name and select "Rename Calendar".

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

don9172

Post by don9172 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for the quick response. You should think about taking a day off...

1. I checked the "Color Event Using..." as you suggested. On the host desktop PC it used categories for the color, but in the laptop it was colored by calendar. So, I switched that one over to color events using categories, and all of the events DID change color, but they all went to a white/pale grey gradient instead of the orange-yellow previous color. Interestingly, of the 900+ events, THREE events ended up being colored the same as on the host computer, with those three events being months apart in three different categories (of which there were other events from the same three categories that did NOT pick up the category color).

2. Both calendars, on both computers, were showing as "shared" so I couldn't do what you suggested with the unshared calendar (because there was no unshared calendar). So here's what I did: Since the "Dons Calendar (2) on the host PC had zero events, I went ahead and deleted it, and it disappeared on the other computer as well. So now I'm back to the single "Dons Calendar". However, even with syncing and rebooting the computers, the event numbers don't match up, EVEN ON THE SAME COMPUTER. There are two places I see where it shows the number of events in a calendar: one is when you rest the cursor over the calendar name in the calendar list on the left side of the screen, and the other is in the dark grey bar at the lower-right corner of the screen, where it says "Dons Calendar (shared) xxx events". Here's what the two computers show:
Host PC: 955 events on left list, 953 events in lower-right corner.
Laptop: 958 events on left list, 955 events in lower-right corner.

Bottom line: I'm thinking that, as you had mentioned, I already had a Dons Calendar going on the laptop before I started actually syncing them, and that seems to be messing things up. When I installed VueMinder on the laptop recently, I had backed up (or exported, can't remember which) the data from the desktop PC and then used that data file to bring the calendar and events over to the laptop, but there was no active syncing at that time. What about just uninstalling VueMinder entirely from the laptop and doing a fresh install (I have the licensed installation file that you had sent to me previously), and start the syncing right away? Or, could I accomplish the same thing by un-syncing the laptop, delete the "Dons Calendar" there (so it doesn't also delete it on the desktop PC), then start syncing again?

Thank you again for your help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi Don, thank you for the information. On your laptop, please use the utility linked below to completely reset the data and settings. Make sure to exit VueMinder before running this utility:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data, restart VueMinder and then re-enter the host name and connection info in the Sharing Options. After clicking OK, your shared calendar and colors should appear (it might take a few seconds). The number of events should also match.

Dan Chartrand, Founder

don9172

Post by don9172 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Dan,

The fix did not work. I ran the data reset you sent, and when VueMinder was re-opened everything was reset as it should be, and the configuration window came up, which I went through just fine. I then went to the sharing options, entered the info, tested the connection, and waited while the calendars synced. The "Dons Calendar" did come over, but still with two big glitches:

1. The category colors still did not come over (and I did have "Color events using category colors" selected in the View menu). All of the events are still that white/light grey gradient.

2. After the initial sync, a reminder window popped up with about 20 recent events listed, asking me to either snooze or dismiss them. All of them were events within the last 10 days, about half already completed and dismissed, and the other half had actually been totally deleted already in the host (desktop) calendar. Selecting "Dismiss All" (or even individually) makes the window go away for about a minute, then it pops right back up every time like the energizer bunny. It will not go away.

Another smaller item: The laptop VueMinder will not tell me how many events are in the calendar, either on the calendar list on the left or in the lower-right grey status bar.

I'm at a complete loss here. Even if I could manually change the colors to show the category colors, I have no idea how to get rid of that everlasting reminder window. I can't even go back to the desktop calendar to fix the events from that end because half of them were deleted and don't even exist anymore. Should I try an uninstall and clean re-install on the laptop? Do you think it has anything to do with being on Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 7 on the laptop?

Thank you again for your help.

Don

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi Don, I'm not sure why your category colors aren't syncing. You can manually copy your category colors to other computers. Here’s how:
1. On the computer where the correct category colors appear, open the Program Options.
2. Click the folder button on the right side of the “Data folder” text field. The data folder will open in Windows Explorer.
3. Copy the file named “Categories.xml”.
4. On the other computers, open the data folder (see steps 1-2).
5. Right-click the VueMinder icon in the task tray and select “Exit”.
6. Replace the “Categories.xml” file with the ones copied from the other computer.
7. Restart VueMinder. You should see the category colors match what you have defined on your other computer.

Note, any subsequent changes you make to the category colors should sync properly.

Regarding the reminders that keep coming back, I'm not sure what is causing that to happen, but you might be able to fix it by opening the Sharing Options on all computers and checking the "Share event completion status" box. Also, in the Reminder Options, make sure the boxes labeled "Don't show reminder for completed items" and "Automatically mark an item as completed when its reminder is dismissed" are checked.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

don9172

Post by don9172 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Dan,

I followed you instructions regarding the Categories.xml file, and the category colors now work just fine. Thank you for that.

Regarding the persistent reminder window on the laptop, that did not go away even with making sure all of the reminder options that you suggested (which I already had set, by the way). I even did another full data reset per your previous instructions, did all the proper option settings, re-synced the "Dons Calendar" and the reminder window still popped up with 8 recent (all within the last five days) events that had either all been dismissed or even fully deleted. Again, I click on Dismiss All, it goes away for about a minute, then re-appears - like it's refreshing after a quick re-sync.

I also noticed, looking back in previous months, about half of the old events that had long ago been completed are now showing on the laptop as NOT being completed, though I'm not getting reminder pop-ups for them. And the non-completed status is very random. i have a number of recurring weekly events, and some of the same recurring events are still showing as completed, while others are showing as not completed. No pattern whatsoever that I can see.

I'm going to try an uninstall and full re-install of VueMinder on the laptop (using the licensed installation file you had sent me quite a while ago) and see if that helps. With that persistent reminder window preventing me from using VueMinder at all on the laptop, I don't feel that I have any other choice at this point. In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions, I'll be glad to try them if the same problems re-occur with the fresh installation. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thank you again,

Don

don9172

Post by don9172 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi Dan,

OK, I uninstalled VueMinder from the laptop. The Windows uninstall apparently still saves some settings/configuration file(s) so the initial configuration screen didn't come up when I re-installed VueMinder, and I saw that some options were set already. I checked all the appropriate settings, went ahead and set up the sync with the desktop host. The same problem occurred with the several recent already-completed and/or deleted events popping up in a reminder window that constantly comes right back after dismissing. A lot of older already-completed events again still showed as not being completed. The category colors were still intact, apparently due to the configuration files that survived the uninstall.

So, to eliminate the variable that those "surviving" configuration files may be part of the problem, I did your previously-recommended full data reset, THEN I did the Windows uninstall again and even rebooted the laptop. When I re-installed VueMinder, it did the update to 11.2.9 and then ran through the initial configuration screens. I reset all of the options as needed, set the View to show category colors, and set up sharing with the host desktop calendar. Syncing took a couple of minutes, and all of the same problems still occurred. No category colors came over, many older completed events showing as not completed (though not generating reminders), and seven (7) most-recent events (some completed, some fully deleted) still coming up in that everlasting reminder window.

So, I still cannot use VueMinder on my laptop, synced with the desktop. Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Don

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi Don,

Thank you for the information. Since reinstalling didn't fix the problem, it sounds like something is wrong with the MySQL Server database. Please try these steps:

1. Exit VueMinder on all computers by right-clicking the icon in the task tray and selecting “Exit”.
2. Open MySQL Workbench and connect to the server.
3. In the Navigator, right-click the “vueminder” schema and select “Drop Schema” from the popup menu. This will delete any previously shared calendars from the server.
4. Restart VueMinder on all computers.
5. On all computers except one, delete the calendars that were shared. Make sure these calendars still exist on one of your computers.
6. On the computer where the calendars were not deleted, open the Calendar Properties and select “Do not sync” on the Sync tab.
7. Open the Sharing Options on each computer. Clear the host name, username, and password. Click OK.
8. Re-open the Sharing Options and re-enter the connection information.
9. On the computer where your calendars were not deleted, open the Calendar Properties again and re-enable sharing with VueMinder on other computers, via the Sync tab.
10. The shared calendars should automatically appear on your other computers.

Dan Chartrand, Founder

don9172

Post by don9172 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the additional suggestion regarding MySql, but it did not work. I went through your steps exactly, with one exception: On the laptop computer, VueMinder would not let me delete the shared Dons Calendar or the shared US Holidays (the only two that i use) in your Step #5. So I did the data reset previously suggested to clear them out, rebooted, reset all the views and options to match with the desktop, then started over with your steps. After the syncing was finished, all of the previous problems were still there: no category colors, roughly half of all old completed events showed as not completed, and the reminder window popped up with about 12 recently completed and/or deleted events. And, again, when I Dismiss All, or even if I Dismiss each one individually, that reminder window comes back within about 30 seconds, preventing me from using VueMinder at all.

I also noticed for the first time (though maybe just didn't notice it before) that some of the event descriptions don't match what is currently in Dons Calendar on the desktop. For example, I have a "placeholder" event set up to recur every Monday morning with the generic event name, then I add a few additional details a few days before each Monday (2 or 3 peoples' names, who is driving that day, etc.). When I did the syncing reset as above, SOME of the Monday events came over with the original generic name only, with none of the added details (even today's occurrence) and those showed as NOT completed. However, the REST of the Monday events properly showed as completed and THOSE events had the full added descriptions. And the completed versus non-completed old events are very random - no pattern that I can see. Very strange, very frustrating. VueMinder on the desktop machine, meanwhile, is still fine in all respects.

Don