Phone won't show VueMinder info from Google Cal

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ShellyP

Phone won't show VueMinder info from Google Cal

Post by ShellyP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:29 am

I just bought Pro after using the Lite version for several months, so I would not have to export/import to get my events into Google to be able to see my calendar on my phone. I had some trouble getting the sync in the Pro version to work from my laptop to Google, but finally got the info up there. My Google calendar has the default calendar (my first & last name), and my VueMinder calendar, named "Shelly's Calendar". I can see both calendars' entries on Google.
VueMinder shows two calendars in its dropdown list: "Shelly's Calendar" and one named with my complete Gmail address, which I think was named during the setup/configuration wizard process by the program, not me. This is not the same name as my Google default calendar.

My phone is only displaying the Google calendar info, not the events in the other calendar from my VueMinder sync (Shelly's Calendar). I was able to see everything fine with the Lite version, when I was exporting/importing the data. The whole point of buying Pro was to eliminate this extra step/time. Any idea how to get my phone to show everything again? Is there something wrong in the setup?
Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Phone won't show VueMinder info from Google Cal

Post by VueSoft » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 am

Hi Shelly, welcome to the forums and thank you for your purchase. It sounds like your phone hasn't been configured to sync with the calendar that VueMinder added to your Google Calendar account.

What type of phone are you using, and which calendar app? The instructions for selecting additional calendars will vary, but there should be a settings page somewhere in your calendar app for selecting which Google Calendars it shows. After you enable syncing with "Shelly's Calendar", any changes you make in VueMinder will automatically appear on your phone, and vice versa.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ShellyP

Post by ShellyP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:15 am

Phone is Samsung Galaxy S4, running Android 5.0.1. Calendar app is the Google Calendar app version 5.2.2.
From my PC , looking at the online Google Calendar, here's what I can see: Under My Calendars, I see the default calendar and the calendar created by VM when I first synced VM & GCal. Under Other Calendars, I see Holidays in the US. Data from all these are visible on the PC calendar. I did not see an obvious way online on the GCal site to make this show up on the phone.

On the phone, when I go the the left side menu, my choices are: Under my gmail address I have Events as a choice. Under My Calendar I have My Calendar, which is the default Google Cal. No listing for the VM calendar. Under More, I have Holidays.
If I go to settings at the bottom of that menu, all I can do is adjust settings for the calendars already displayed. I do not see a way to add a calendar. I don't know why it is not recognizing the VM calendar.

It was showing up when I was importing it into "Other Calendars." Have tried restarting the phone & re-syncing the calendar app. No change.

ShellyP

Post by ShellyP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:35 am

Been playing around some more. I went into VM and decided to change my sync settings from 1-way from VM to Google, to 2-way with Google Calendar. When I went back into phone app, and to menu on left, now under "settings" there was a "more" option under my main Google Cal. When I tapped that word "more", my VM calendar name appeared, and I was able to turn on the sync and set the color. So everything loaded onto the phone and all is well.
Apparently it was the VM sync settings with the Google Cal that was the key. I find I can also choose now, when entering an event from my phone, to choose which calendar I want it entered into. I can enter it into the VM calendar synced with Google Cal. That saves me a step from the Lite version, where I had to come back & hand enter a duplicate event on the PC.
Bit of a learning curve on getting these two to play nicely together. Wonder if better documentation on what will happen on the various sync options when setting that up would help. Especially for those of us who were previously uploading Lite version exports. When I first synced, I think I used 2-way. I then had duplicates of everything I had already uploaded by export/import from Lite, including recurring dates. Had to spend some time deleting the duplicates. That is why I changed to 1-way sync, fearing future duplications when syncing. It still have duplicates on already past dates, but did not want to spend the time clearing all those out.
Bottom line, I think things are finally working the way I hoped/expected them to.
Thanks.