Disappearing Events

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dbrn

Disappearing Events

Post by dbrn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi,

The short version is that I have Events disappearing when my VueMinder calendar syncs across Google.

The longer version: I have VM Ultimate installed on my Windows 7 work PC desktop and on my Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 3 tablet. Both installs are set to 2-way sync with the same Google calendar. Intermittently I have an Event disappear and this seems to occur under the following conditions:
1) While the DESKTOP is off, I create a new Event on the TABLET and then shut the tablet down before it has the opportunity to sync with Google.
2) I start the office DESKTOP and it syncs multiple times with Google.
3) I start the TABLET and hit the 'Sync' button in the lower right corner of VM.

At which point, the Event disappears from the TABLET (it never appears on the DESKTOP). That's my best description of the problem, BUT when trying to reproduce this problem myself on purpose I haven't been able to force it reliably.

This seems to be a problem where the older state from the DESKTOP (no Event) is somehow over-writing the newer state on the TABLET (Event created). But I also am not sure whether trying to flip the process between devices would lead to the same results.

Any thoughts? Disappearing Events is a pretty big problem :shock: !

Thank you,

Daniel Braun

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Disappearing Events

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Daniel, thank you for the information. I've attempted to duplicate the problem, but I'm unable to get it to happen. FYI, VueMinder never actually "deletes" events from Google Calendar when syncing. Events will be marked as cancelled and hidden from the calendar, but the data is still present. In other words, VueMinder needs to both know about a new event (the event must be synced to Google Calendar first) and then specifically mark that event as being "deleted" (e.g. cancelled) in order for VueMinder to be responsible for the event disappearing from Google Calendar and your tablet. VueMinder WILL NOT delete events from Google Calendar that don't yet exist because they haven't synced from some other source.

My guess is that the problem lies somewhere between Google Calendar and the calendar app on your tablet. Maybe the app on your tablet isn't using the latest Google Calendar API or is doing something non-standard when detecting changes on Google Calendar. It's possible when you sync VueMinder with Google Calendar before the new event on your tablet has a chance to sync, a time-stamp or something gets updated on Google Calendar which the app on your tablet uses to figure out if it has any events that are stale and need to be removed. That's not the proper way to sync event deletions, and that's the reason VueMinder uses the "cancelled" status to sync deletions instead of actually deleting events. However, I'm speculating on how the calendar app on your tablet works. I can't think of any other explanation.

Which app are you using on your tablet? Have you tried other calendar apps to see if you get the same behavior?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dbrn

Post by dbrn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:34 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the detailed reply. To answer your question, I don't use any calendar apps on my tablet other than VM. I very rarely look at the Google calendars directly, and when I do it's only through Firefox. However, my work desktop PC runs Novell GroupWise, and I use a small app called Syncjob to sync my Groupwise calendar to my Google calendar. I've used this setup (Groupwise-Google-VM and back) ever since first purchasing VM 3 years ago, and this problem has only been occurring for a few months as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure what would have changed on my end to cause it. But I realize that's beyond your ability to diagnose. Mainly I wanted to know if this was an issue for others too, or something you're aware of. But it's clear it's my setup somehow causing problems.

Thanks anyway. I'll be in touch again if I make any progress and need more support.

Best,

Daniel Braun

dbrn

Post by dbrn » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Dan,

Is there a way for me to locate events that have been 'cancelled', as you called it? I'm mainly hoping to find some metadata about those events - namely when they were cancelled. I'm hoping that might help me identify the problem.

Thank you,

Daniel Braun

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi Daniel, unfortunately there's no way to see the cancelled events on the Google Calendar webpage or in VueMinder. However, if you're technically included could use the Google Calendar API Explorer:
https://developers.google.com/apis-expl ... vents.list

Set the "showDeleted" field to true to include events that have been cancelled.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA