how to group connected events into a project

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
leopoldus

how to group connected events into a project

Post by leopoldus » Fri May 15, 2015 11:46 am

Hello,

Many PIM-s I have tried in my life has an option to assign a task/event to the specific group (often named as "project" or something like that). It lets a user fast and conveniently find all tasks and events, which are connected to a specific subject (say, a business project, a legal case etc) and/or a specific person.

For me it is must-have feature for every PIM-software, so it was quite surprising for me not to find any grouping feature in VueMinder. Has I missed anything?

Thanks!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: how to group connected events into a project

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi leopoldus, VueMinder provides the feature you describe, but under different terminology. In VueMinder, you can create multiple "calendars". When an event, task, or note is defined, it can be associated with one of the calendars (aka projects). There are checkboxes next to the calendar names to allow filtering, in case you only want to see items that are associated with specific calendars. See the documentation linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... rlist.html

If you prefer to use a single calendar, you could create multiple categories and associate your events, tasks, or notes with categories instead of calendars. Like calendars, categories can be filtered using the checkboxes, as described in the documentation linked above.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm

VueSoft wrote:,VueMinder provides the feature you describe, but under different terminology. In VueMinder, you can create multiple "calendars". When an event, task, or note is defined, it can be associated with one of the calendars (aka projects).
First of all thank you very much for fast reply,
However I doubt, if this "Calendar" in VueMinder is more or less close functional analog of what I mean as a "Project" concept. Say, according to my first impression it is not targeted to use more than several (3-5) calendars, right? But a user might usually have several tens of "projects", say, every project is connected to some specific person or to some specific product, (for a manager), real estate (for an agent), legal case (for a lawyer) etc. Do you see, what I mean?

There is another question. What about sorting by calendar? I mean the ability to organize the events or tasks list by grouping together all items belonging to the same calendar (while other Calendar's items are visible and grouped by Calendar too)?
It it a very convenient feature, especially if combined with collapse/expand button for every group).
If you prefer to use a single calendar, you could create multiple categories and associate your events, tasks, or notes with categories instead of calendars. Like calendars, categories can be filtered using the checkboxes, as described in the documentation linked above.
Oh, no. A category is absolutely another concept than a project. Category is meant to tag a type of activity, not a topic the activity is connected to. Say an event can be tagged with such categories as "meeting", "phone call", "bill payment" etc (or with multiple categories as say "meeting" and "private"), while being at the same time connected to the specific project. Say, you might wish to assign an event or a task with categories "meeting", "work", "important" etc and to the project "product nr 2727". Hope you see, what I mean.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

However I doubt, if this "Calendar" in VueMinder is more or less close functional analog of what I mean as a "Project" concept. Say, according to my first impression it is not targeted to use more than several (3-5) calendars, right? But a user might usually have several tens of "projects", say, every project is connected to some specific person or to some specific product, (for a manager), real estate (for an agent), legal case (for a lawyer) etc. Do you see, what I mean?
VueMinder supports any number of calendars. You can also define "groups" to contain the calendars by using the "New -> Calendar Group" command on the File menu. Calendars can be dragged between different groups. Many VueMinder users have dozens of different calendars. I think VueMinder can be used the way you describe.
There is another question. What about sorting by calendar? I mean the ability to organize the events or tasks list by grouping together all items belonging to the same calendar (while other Calendar's items are visible and grouped by Calendar too)?
As mentioned above, calendars can be grouped. Also, if you're using the "Events" tab, you can group and/or sort the rows based on associated calendar. See the "Grouping Rows" section in the documentation linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... tlist.html
Oh, no. A category is absolutely another concept than a project. Category is meant to tag a type of activity, not a topic the activity is connected to. Say an event can be tagged with such categories as "meeting", "phone call", "bill payment" etc (or with multiple categories as say "meeting" and "private"), while being at the same time connected to the specific project. Say, you might wish to assign an event or a task with categories "meeting", "work", "important" etc and to the project "product nr 2727". Hope you see, what I mean.
A category in VueMinder can be whatever you want it to be. Events can be associated with any number of categories. If you don't want to define categories for projects, that's your prerogative. However, I'm not going to change the design of the software to prevent other people from using calendars or categories however they'd like, and I don't want to introduce another "project" concept which would make the software more confusing.

Thanks again for your feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA