some options to use VueMinder as a visual desktop calendar

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
leopoldus

some options to use VueMinder as a visual desktop calendar

Post by leopoldus » Wed May 06, 2015 10:42 am

Hello,

I have found in the manual, that there is a Desktop Calendar http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... endar.html
in VueMinder. But it seems, that this Desktop Calendar is not actually a thing, what one might suggest a Desktop Calendar should be.

I think, that actually the main window in Full screen mode (F11 hotkey), when it shows only the calendar itself (without side panels, toolbars etc elements) has more ground to claim to be a "Desktop Calendar". However in my opinion the both modes misses some essential features to be a real "desktop calendar". On the other hand, I'm a very novice with VueMinder and could miss some options. Could anybody please give me a hint, is it possible to do some of the following:

- An option to hide all my personal data (events, tasks, reminders, notes etc). As one can guess, I might need to use a calendar at a meeting - in order to see myself and to show to others, how many days we have or which date will be the next week Friday etc. But I surely do not wish to share with my colleagues my personal plans and reminders.

- Bigger figures (say, 60-70% of a cell size) for dates and letters for weekdays, as we do not need to fit any other data in this view), better colors palette and contrast (currently there is an option to change the font size for the year view only, but not for week and month view modes)

- A specific hotkey to call this window/view mode directly from the system tray (well, it is possible now to assign a hotkey to call "Full desktop calendar", but it is not the same)

- An option to remember and restore the last state and view mode (eg Full screen / month view) were in use at the moment when window was minimized/closed or app exited.

- Clearer difference between workdays and weekend days (may be another background)

- Clearer pointing to the current day cell location in the table, also an option to use other (gray?) background color or/and crossover diagonal lines etc for the past days of the current month/week.

- Table view for the year view mode.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: some options to use VueMinder as a visual desktop calend

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi leopoldus, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback.
I have found in the manual, that there is a Desktop Calendar http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... endar.html
in VueMinder. But it seems, that this Desktop Calendar is not actually a thing, what one might suggest a Desktop Calendar should be.
I'm not sure how you define what constitutes a "desktop calendar", but in the terminology used by VueMinder, the desktop calendar integrates with the Windows desktop background - hence the name "desktop calendar" to differentiate this calendar from the one provided by the main VueMinder window. I had to call it something, and calling it a desktop calendar seemed logical.
I think, that actually the main window in Full screen mode (F11 hotkey), when it shows only the calendar itself (without side panels, toolbars etc elements) has more ground to claim to be a "Desktop Calendar".
There are "pin" buttons on the desktop calendar to hide the panels of the window that you don't want to see. If you look at the panel title, such as "Upcoming Events", there's a pin button on the right side. Click the pin button to collapse the panel to a tab.
However in my opinion the both modes misses some essential features to be a real "desktop calendar".
Can you please elaborate on what these essential features are?
An option to hide all my personal data (events, tasks, reminders, notes etc).
These options are provided on the View menu of the main window. You can uncheck the "Show Tasks in Calendar" and "Show Notes in Calendar" options to hide those data types. You can also click "Hide All Events" to hide all your events. The calendar list provides checkboxes that can also be used to show or hide events, tasks, and notes.
Bigger figures (say, 60-70% of a cell size) for dates and letters for weekdays, as we do not need to fit any other data in this view), better colors palette and contrast (currently there is an option to change the font size for the year view only, but not for week and month view modes)
I have these improvements on my to-do list. In the meantime, if you're using the Pro or Ultimate version, you could use the "Customize Appearance Theme" command on the Tools menu to customize the font sizes and colors used within VueMinder. There's a bit of a learning curve to using that tool, but an example walkthrough can be found here:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... theme.html
A specific hotkey to call this window/view mode directly from the system tray (well, it is possible now to assign a hotkey to call "Full desktop calendar", but it is not the same)
Assuming you are referring to the main VueMinder window, a hotkey can be specified via the Hotkey Options. There's a "Show main VueMinder window" hotkey option...
An option to remember and restore the last state and view mode (eg Full screen / month view) were in use at the moment when window was minimized/closed or app exited.
This should already be the case. VueMinder will remember which view you were in previously, and whether the window is maximized or "normal" size, and re-open accordingly. Are you seeing different behavior?
Clearer difference between workdays and weekend days (may be another background)
There are options to change the date colors in the Appearance Options, if you're using the Pro or Ultimate version.
Clearer pointing to the current day cell location in the table, also an option to use other (gray?) background color or/and crossover diagonal lines etc for the past days of the current month/week.
The color for the current day can be specified in the Appearance Options. There's no mechanism to change the background of previous dates, but I have this on my to-do list.
Table view for the year view mode.
On the "Events" tab of the main window, change the date range to "This year". You'll get a listing of all events for the current year. The Tasks and Notes tabs have a similar option. Note, this feature is not provided in the Lite version. If you're serious about seeing what VueMinder can do, then I suggest not judging its features based on what you see in the Lite version.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA