One-way Google sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

One-way Google sync

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 pm

My wife says that when she adds an event to VueMinder it shows up in her Google calendar but when she deletes an event it doesn't go away in Google. (She's not sure this happens 100% of the time, but it definitely happens a lot.) Is this a settings problem or something else, and what can she do to fix it?

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: One-way Google sync

Post by VueSoft » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi MDRiggs, thank you for the feedback. I'm unable to duplicate this problem when testing with v11.2.8. Can you check if your wife is using the latest version? To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.

If she's seeing this problem in v11.2.8, maybe deleting and re-adding the calendar will fix the problem. Please follow these steps:
1. In the Calendar Items area of the main VueMinder window, right-click the name of the calendar that is synced with Google Calendar.
2. Select “Delete Calendar” from the popup menu.
3. Right-click the VueMinder icon in the task tray (near the clock) and select “Exit”.
4. Restart VueMinder using the shortcut on the Start menu or desktop.
5. Re-add the Google Calendar by using the “Add Google Calendar” command on the File menu.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Sat May 30, 2015 4:43 pm

For various reasons, I just got back 'round to this. If I delete and re-add a calendar, are all the events in it preserved? Don't want to start it over from scratch.

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi MDRiggs, deleting the calendar from VueMinder won't delete any of the events on Google Calendar. When you re-add the calendar, VueMinder will update to match Google Calendar and your events will re-appear.

If you've added events locally to VueMinder and those haven't uploaded to Google Calendar for some reason, you can export your calendar prior to deleting it. To export, click the "Export Events" command on the File menu and choose iCalendar (ics) as the output type. After re-adding the Google Calendar, use the Import Events command on the File menu and choose the file that was exported. Any events that were missing from Google Calendar will be imported into VueMinder and uploaded to Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:19 pm

But she wants Google Calendar to reflect what's in Vueminder, not the other way around. The problem is that events deleted from Vueminder are not being deleted from Google Calendar. It's Google Calendar that's messed up.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi MDRiggs, to get Google Calendar to match what is in VueMinder, follow these steps:

1. In VueMinder, open the Calendar Properties for the calendar(s) you want to sync with Google Calendar.
2. On the Sync tab, check "Do not sync". This will temporarily disable syncing with Google Calendar. Syncing will be re-enabled later.
3. On the Google Calendar webpage, click the drop-down arrow next to "My calendars" and select "Settings".
4. Click the "Unsubscribe" link for calendars that were previously configured to sync with VueMinder. The calendars will be removed from the Google account.
5. In VueMinder, open the Calendar Properties again for the calendar you'd like to sync with Google Calendar.
6. Check the "Sync with Google Calendar" box. Keep the sync direction set to 2-way and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 5-6 for any other calendars you'd like to sync with Google Calendar.
8. The calendars will upload to Google Calendar. This might take a few minutes if the calendars contain many events.
9. After the calendars have synced, reload the Google Calendar webpage. You should see the calendars have been added to the calendar list.
10. Click the calendar names on the Google Calendar webpage to make their events appear.

If the calendars don't appear on the Google Calendar webpage in step 9, then you probably have configured VueMinder to sync with a different Google account and not the one that is currently logged into your web browser. In that case, perform the following steps and then repeat the steps above:
1. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".
2. Delete the folder named "C:\Users\YourLoginName\AppData\Roaming\VueMinder.Google.Auth". Note, this folder is hidden. Windows Explorer will need to be configured to show hidden folders before this folder will be visible.
3. Restart VueMinder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder