Time zone change issue

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
just5

Time zone change issue

Post by just5 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I created a calendar on my laptop while being in GMT+1. I returned to the UK today, and tried to subscribe my PC with the laptop calendar. After about an hour, it changed all of the event times 1 hour back from what I had on my laptop. Both my PC and laptop now show -1 hours for all events compared to what they should be. Is there any way of changing all of my times back to what they were, while keeping the computer in the correct time zone?

How do I fix this?

Regards

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Time zone change issue

Post by VueSoft » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi just5, welcome to the forums. On your laptop, click the "Restore Data" command on the File menu. Restore to a backup that was generated before you changed the time zone. After restoring, the events should appear at the proper time (adjusted for your local time zone).

I assume you're syncing via an iCalendar (ics) file since you said the calendar was subscribed on your PC. If that's the case, after restoring from your backup, publish the calendar from your laptop to the ics file you subscribed to, overwriting the current file. The PC should refresh to show the correct times.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

just5

Post by just5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 am

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply. Is there an option to not have the time adjust to your time zone? For example, if I plan on doing event Y at 10:00 in time zone A, but then move to time zone B and have to still do that event at 10:00? The calendar would have it showing as 9:00 due to the time change, right? Is there a way of avoiding this?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Unfortunately, there's no mechanism to define an event starting time without a time zone. The time zone for events will always match the local time zone in Windows. If you switch Windows to a different time zone, the event times in VueMinder will be adjusted accordingly.

However, I'm planning to add the ability to specify different time zones when creating events. I'll post a reply when it's completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

just5

Post by just5 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:05 am

I see. The issue arises mainly when, for example, I have an event at 10AM when I am in country A, and 10AM when I go to country B. All of my events change time when I actually use a different time zone.

I guess I will just try to anticipate the time zone different when I create the events now.

What I did was export all of the events and create a new calendar on my PC, which I then sync with the laptop. Time went back to the correct one.