What is the automatic sync frequency?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
daniel347x

What is the automatic sync frequency?

Post by daniel347x » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello -

I have a calendar that is synchronizing with a webcal data source (from FollowUpThen.com).

This is working great, but so far I've been opening VueMinder and doing a "sync all" to get VueMinder to pick up changes to my FollowUpThen.com reminders.

Ideally, I'd like this sync to occur automatically every 5 minutes.

What is the current sync frequency for automatic syncs? (Be nice if there was a way to adjust this.)

Thanks,
Dan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: What is the automatic sync frequency?

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Dan, you can adjust the sync frequency in the Calendar Properties. To open the Calendar Properties, double-click the name of your subscribed calendar. On the "Sync" tab, select the desired update frequency from the "Update" drop-down. There's an option to sync every 5 minutes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

daniel347x

Post by daniel347x » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Dan - Thanks.

From your answer, I see what I did. I have this calendar as a "Sync with file or URL (2-way)", rather than as a "Subscribe" calendar.

Because it is impossible for me to publish to my FollowUpThen webcal account, there's no need for me to choose this option. Instead, choosing the "Subscribe" option is the correct way to go, and in the "Subscribe" settings, there is an "Update" drop-down that allows me to choose the sync frequency.

I will change this calendar to "Subscribe", which solves my problem, so thanks!

On a relevant note, though - why isn't there also an "Update" option for the "Sync with file or URL (2-way)" type of calendar?

Thanks,
Dan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Dan, thank you for the information. The 2-way syncing option has a "Sync automatically" option which will automatically sync the calendar whenever changes are made locally. If the .ics file is located on a cloud drive or local network, VueMinder will also monitor the .ics file for external changes and sync whenever the file is updated on a different computer.

However, if the calendar is on an external server, VueMinder won't be able to automatically detect when the calendar has been changed and needs to be updated on the local computer. I believe this is the behavior you were seeing which required manually commanding the calendar to sync. To fix the problem, I'll add an update frequency input, similar to the one provided in the "Subscribe" settings. I'll post a reply when this improvement is completed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA