VueMinder not syncing

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

Re: VueMinder not syncing

Post by MDRiggs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:37 pm

VueSoft wrote:You can sync the same calendar with Google Calendar and MySQL Server, but the calendar will only sync with Google Calendar on one computer (the computer name where syncing is to occur is specified on the Sync tab in the Calendar Properties). Maybe the problems you were having with Google Calendar trying to sync were due to having the wrong computer name specified in the Calendar Properties.
Thanks again. That's good news. I'm confused, though, about the specification of the computer where the syncing to Google will occur. If I go to my wife's computer and open the properties for one of the calendars she syncs with Google Calendar and go to the Sync tab, I don't see the name of the syncing computer indicated anywhere. On the other hand, I notice that all the calendars I tried to unshare with our other computers now are in fact unshared, despite what the program indicated last night. Yet when I try to delete the one calendar that did appear on my computer, I get a message that her computer is the owner of that shared calendar and it must be unshared on her computer first -- which it is. And if I try to open the properties for that calendar on my computer, a Google login window opens in my browser and VueMinder locks up.

I'm a little terrified of the procedure you outlined previously, since if I screw up her calendars neither you nor anyone else will ever hear from me again. :D Is it possible that uninstalling and reinstalling VueMinder on the other PCs would give me a clean slate to work with? There is nothing to lose on those computers. I have VueMinder on them only so we can see her calendars from them (although it would be nice to edit them remotely as well).

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 am

I don't see the name of the syncing computer indicated anywhere.
This field is only shown in the calendar is ALSO synced with MySQL Server. It's to prevent the same calendar from syncing with both Google Calendar and MySQL Server simultaneously and causing syncing issues. If you only sync the calendar with Google Calendar, then it can sync simultaneously on multiple computers without causing any issues.
Yet when I try to delete the one calendar that did appear on my computer, I get a message that her computer is the owner of that shared calendar and it must be unshared on her computer first -- which it is
I think this is because your computer isn't properly syncing with MySQL Server. Running through the steps I provided previously should fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Okay. I turned sharing back on for one of the calendars, and it shows her PC as the one to sync with Google. Also, that calendar then sync'd with mine, and then turning off sharing for it removed both of her calendars that were showing on mine. Maybe I'm getting somewhere, though by means unclear. Just two more questions:
1) If I export and delete her calendars, when I import them back in will they retain the color coding she set up for them?
2) If it's a problem with her VueMinder syncing with MySQL, is it possible that uninstalling and reinstalling MySQL would help?

Thanks.

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Okay, I didn't go through the purge/restore procedure but now have all calendars syncing properly except one, which originally was the only one I could get to come up but with most of its entries missing. (This time I loaded it last instead of first.) Unfortunately, it still shows only 56 entries instead of the 676 that should be there. Also, when it is loaded the sync status continuously alternates between "Syncing with server..." and "Ready" instead of just syncing and settling down to Ready. Is it possible to do something to fix just that calendar, or is it an all-or-nothing procedure.

Starting the program on the client computers still opens a Google login window in my web browser, by the way, but I can live with that. It's annoying but not tragic.

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:37 am

Hi MDRiggs, it sounds like VueMinder is encountering some type of error when attempting to sync the event that is only showing 56 events. I'm not sure what is causing the problem since I'm unable to duplicate the error.

If possible, could you send me a copy of your database so I can find what is causing the problem? You can do this using MySQL Workbench. Connect to the server and then click the “Server -> Data Export” menu command. Check the box for exporting the “vueminder” schema (only), and then click the “Start Export” button. When the export is completed, the log will indicate the location of the exported data, which will contain a number of SQL files. Please zip that folder and send it to support@vueminder.com, so I can try to find what is causing the error syncing and make the necessary corrections. All data will be kept strictly confidential and will be deleted from my computer as soon as I’ve finished.

I'll also investigate why a Google Calendar authorization is being requested when it shouldn't be.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks, I appreciate that very much. I'm heading out of town right now but will get the files to you Sunday or Monday.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi MDRiggs, version 11.2.5 should fix the problem you're seeing with the shared calendar not showing all events on other computers and with the Google Calendar account access being requested on other computers that aren't configured to sync with Google Calendar. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.

If updating doesn't result in the missing events appearing, try the "Sync Now" button in the Sharing Options. Note, it might take a few minutes for the sync to complete and VueMinder will be non-responsive during the sync. However, subsequent syncing will happen almost instantaneously.
Dan Chartrand, Founder