VueMinder not syncing

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

VueMinder not syncing

Post by MDRiggs » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 pm

We have VueMinder Ultimate (latest version) installed on my wife's PC and on two others, mainly so they can see the calendar and contacts she maintains. We had VueMinder Server installed on her computer to enable the sharing, and that worked like a champ. Then I noticed that nothing seemed to update anymore. Eventually I looked into it and discovered you had switched from your own server program to MySQL. So I uninstalled VueMinder Server from her computer and installed and configured MySQL per your directions. Went fine and everything tests out, except the calendars still aren't syncing. I've rebooted everything, double-checked settings. Very frustrating. What could the problem be?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder not syncing

Post by VueSoft » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:06 am

Hi MDRiggs, did you follow the steps in the "How to Migrate Shared Calendars" section of the page linked below?
http://www.vueminder.com/blog/post/what ... ar-sharing

If you followed those steps, the calendars should be syncing - assuming VueMinder can connect to the server. What happens when you click the "Test Connection" button in the Sharing Options? Do you see an error message?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 pm

No, hadn't seen that. Sort of helped. I followed the directions to delete the shared calendars on the client PCs and re-share them from the host. My wife maintains about eight calendars, but only one of them appeared on the other machines after I re-enabled all of them. Connection tests fine, and the bottom left corner of the VueMinder display frequently shows "Syncing with server...". One thing I realized after was that the first calendar I reset initial had "Reader" permission, and that's the one that came across. The others I set with "Contributor" permission, and then I reset the first to "Contributor". Setting one of the missing ones back to "Reader" didn't help, though.

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:20 pm

One more thing: Every time VueMinder starts up on my computer it opens a browser window for me to log onto Google. My wife syncs her calendars to Google Calendar, but I don't have anything to do with that and don't have a Google calendar. Is there a way for me to stop that?

Thanks. Notice you're in St. Louis. I went to college there.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:43 pm

No, hadn't seen that. Sort of helped. I followed the directions to delete the shared calendars on the client PCs and re-share them from the host. My wife maintains about eight calendars, but only one of them appeared on the other machines after I re-enabled all of them.
Hi MDRiggs, try clicking the "Sync Now" button in the Sharing Options. This will force a sync of all calendar data on the server. Any missing calendars should appear after clicking that button.
One more thing: Every time VueMinder starts up on my computer it opens a browser window for me to log onto Google. My wife syncs her calendars to Google Calendar, but I don't have anything to do with that and don't have a Google calendar. Is there a way for me to stop that?
Open the Calendar Properties for each of your calendars. On the Sync tab, make sure the calendar is not configured to sync with Google Calendar. I'm guessing at least one of the calendars was configured to sync with Google Calendar, resulting in the authorization request appearing.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:56 am

Hi MDRiggs, try clicking the "Sync Now" button in the Sharing Options. This will force a sync of all calendar data on the server. Any missing calendars should appear after clicking that button.
Clicked "Sync Now" on both host and client. No change except client seems to lock up.
Open the Calendar Properties for each of your calendars. On the Sync tab, make sure the calendar is not configured to sync with Google Calendar. I'm guessing at least one of the calendars was configured to sync with Google Calendar, resulting in the authorization request appearing.
Clicking on Calendar Properties on my computer for the one calendar of hers that shows up on mine just opens a browser window for Google login and freezes Vueminder.

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:51 pm

So I thought maybe if I unshared all the calendars and started over, maybe that would help. But I can't seem to do that. I uncheck "share with VueMinder on other computers", click "OK", then go back and it's checked again. Happens regardless of whether VueMinder is running on client computers or not. It's just tremendously weird. Everything worked swell with VueMinder Server. I'm toying with uninstalling MySQL and trying to start over from that level. I installed the 64-bit 5.6.21 version. The setup screens did not always match the ones in the directions, but I thought I doped out the correct responses. Maybe not.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:42 am

Hi MDRiggs, if you want to un-share all the calendars and start over, please follow these steps:

1. Export any calendars that aren't synced with something external, such as Google Calendar or an iCalendar URL. Export the calendars to separate ICS files. Also export any other data you want to keep, such as tasks, notes, contacts, etc.

2. Exit VueMinder on all computers and run the ResetData utility linked below on each computer. This will reset all the data and settings.
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

3. Open MySQL Workbench and connect to the server. Right-click on the VueMinder schema and select "Drop scheme" from the popup menu.

4. Start VueMinder on your wife's computer and re-add her Google Calendar by using the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu. If you want to see this calendar on your computer, create a Google account and enable sharing of your wife's calendar with your account by clicking the drop-down button next to the calendar's name on the Google Calendar web page and selecting "Share this calendar". After sharing the calendar through the Google Calendar webpage, switch to your computer and add the shared calendar by using the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu.

5. Import any other calendar files that were exported in step 1.

6. Open the Sharing Options and enter your host name, user name, and password. Click the "Test Connection" button to verify that VueMinder can connect.

7. Open the Calendar Properties of any calendars you'd like to share through MySQL Server. Do not do this for the calendar that is synced with Google Calendar. Re-enable sharing via the Sync tab.

8. The calendars should automatically appear on your other computer. If your calendars contain a lot of events, VueMinder might appear to lock up for a bit while the initial sync is performed. Subsequent syncing will be nearly instantaneous. Please be patient and wait for the syncing to complete. Do not use Task Manager to end the VueMinder process while it's syncing! Otherwise you'll end up back in the same situation.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks. So if a calendar is sync'd to Google Calendar it can't also be sync'd to VueMinder on other computers via MySQL? If so, I might as well just give up.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 pm

You can sync the same calendar with Google Calendar and MySQL Server, but the calendar will only sync with Google Calendar on one computer (the computer name where syncing is to occur is specified on the Sync tab in the Calendar Properties). Maybe the problems you were having with Google Calendar trying to sync were due to having the wrong computer name specified in the Calendar Properties.
Dan Chartrand, Founder