Syncing failed until I re-installed VM on "owner" machine

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
daniel347x

Syncing failed until I re-installed VM on "owner" machine

Post by daniel347x » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Hello -

I had an odd and frustrating issue.

My MySQL database is installed on a workstation, and accessed from two laptops. The workstation is the owner, and the two laptops share the calendar. (There are three VM users - one for each machine.)

I only use one of the laptops actively.

About 2 months ago, I moved the workstation to a different IP address, and I forgot to change the shared calendar's sharing IP address on the laptop (the one that I use actively). VueMinder continued to run unimpeded on the laptop, and somehow I failed to notice the little red "disconnected from server" message in the lower-right corner, even as weeks passed with heavy use of VM on the laptop.

About 1 month ago, I reinstalled the operating system on my workstation. I imported a complete, current backup of the Vueminder database, and re-created the users for all three machines, but I did not install VM on the workstation. I continued to use VM on the laptop heavily for the next few weeks, and it worked just fine (on that laptop), still (unbeknownst to me) not connecting to the server.

Today I switched to my second laptop. Noticing that my events were about 2 months out of date on the VueMinder installation on that laptop, I corrected the shared calendar's sharing IP address, and "Test Connection" succeeded. I performed the "sync" to the server, and noticed that the events were still ~2 months old. Realizing that I had never changed the IP address on my first laptop, I went back to the first laptop, changed the IP address on that machine ("Test Connection" succeeded) and then performed a "sync", which seemed to be successful.

I went back to the second laptop, and performed a "sync" again, expecting to see my recent events (as added over the intervening ~2 months on the first laptop). But no luck. The events on my second laptop remained ~2 months out of date.

I spent about two hours trying again and again (quitting VM on first one machine, then the other, etc.), but with no luck.

Finally, it occurred to me to install VueMinder on the *workstation*. I did so, and somehow it knew how to connect itself to the proper calendar as the proper user and as the owner of that calendar (I think - perhaps I had to set it up to do this, but I don't remember now). The first time I looked at the calendar's data on my workstation, it was ~2 months old. However, within a few minutes (if not less), the data on the *workstation* became up-to-date. (I forget if I synced manually from the first laptop, or not.)

I immediately went back to the second laptop and performed a sync. The second laptop then synced. It is now up-to-date.

My question is twofold.

First - Am I correct that I must have VueMinder installed on the computer that has the MySQL database running that hosts the shared calendars? (If so, I'd be curious to know why - but that's just a tangential curiosity-based question.)

Second, and more importantly: Assuming that the answer to the previous question is "Yes", than my follow-up question is: Must VueMinder be *running* 100% of the time on the machine with MySQL running, in order for sync operations to succeed between other computers, or is the need to install and run VM on the server just a one-time thing in order to get the sync to work properly between other computers?

The reason I ask is that the snoozed reminders appear on *both* machines (which is redundant). This redundancy is a nuisance as I only want the snoozed reminders to appear on one machine at a time.

Thanks for letting me know!

Dan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Syncing failed until I re-installed VM on "owner" machin

Post by VueSoft » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 pm

First - Am I correct that I must have VueMinder installed on the computer that has the MySQL database running that hosts the shared calendars?
Hi Dan, there's no requirement for VueMinder to be installed on the computer that's hosting MySQL Server. I'm not sure why syncing didn't work in your case until VueMinder was installed on the server. I suspect it had something to do with restoring from a previous backup and having used VueMinder at some point in the past on the server. I'll investigate further to see if I can replicate the problem.
Second, and more importantly: Assuming that the answer to the previous question is "Yes", than my follow-up question is: Must VueMinder be *running* 100% of the time on the machine with MySQL running, in order for sync operations to succeed between other computers, or is the need to install and run VM on the server just a one-time thing in order to get the sync to work properly between other computers?
VueMinder shouldn't need to be installed on the computer running MySQL Server. Some people run MySQL Server on a NAS device or Linux host, where VueMinder is definitely not installed, and yet syncing still works properly. Again, I think the problem was a byproduct of all the stuff that happened previously over the course of several months of not syncing, restoring from backups, etc.
The reason I ask is that the snoozed reminders appear on *both* machines (which is redundant). This redundancy is a nuisance as I only want the snoozed reminders to appear on one machine at a time.
Scheduled reminders will appear on all computers at the same time because VueMinder doesn't know which computer you'll be looking at when a reminder is scheduled to appear. However, if you're using the same MySQL Server account on all computers, snoozing or dismissing the reminder on one computer should result in it snoozing or dismissing on all the other computers. Are you not seeing this behavior? Try checking the "Share event completion status" box in the Sharing Options on all computers. Does that fix it?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA