Sharing Data With VueMinder Lite USB

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Davor

Sharing Data With VueMinder Lite USB

Post by Davor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Hello

I have a question regarding syncing with USB version.
I have downloaded the free version to try it before I buy it.
I have copied it on Skydrive.
In this way I can open the vueminder on any computer.
The problem is when it is opened on 2 computers in the same time. If I change something on computer "A" it is not updated on the another computer "B". If I want to see the change on the computer "B" I have to close vueminder on that computer "B", than close it on the computer "A", wait for the Skydick sync and start it again.
The problem is if I have it opened on both computers in the same time, if make changes on computer "A" and close vueminder before it is closed on the computer "B" I will loose all changes. Because when I close it on computer "B" it will be the last version.

Is there a some way to avoid this problems. Can it work like on google calendar that all changes where ever you make them are visible instantly?
Or at least instantly. Is there any refresh button or something.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sharing Data With VueMinder Lite USB

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Davor, when running the USB version on Skydrive, VueMinder should only be used on one computer at a time. If multiple computers are running VueMinder at the same time, changes made on one computer will overwrite changes made on another. This is because the data file is constantly saved as changes are made, but only read into VueMinder when it first starts.

If you need to share data between multiple computers running at the same time, you could use MySQL Server or you could 2-way sync through the same Google Calendar. Unfortunately, those features aren't available in the free Lite version. You can download a fully functional 45-day trial of the Pro or Ultimate version.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Davor

Post by Davor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:05 am

Thank you very much for your fas answer.

The thing is that I would like to have both of my computers synced over internet. As I am always outside my home I would like to be connected to vueminder all the time with my Windows tablet.
I have asked one programmer would it be possible to put the Mysql on some internet server to be connected all the time and he told me that it is possible but not recommended. It is because you would need to open ports that would be a security risk for the Mysql server. And that I most probably wouldn't be able to connect from any hotspot because of the firewalls on those hotspots.

So my question is it possible somehow that vueminder function on-line like the google calendar. That I can access it easily from my tablet. I saw that there is a option "sync with file URL" - is this maybe what I would need. Than this file url would be somewhere where I can access it easily. Maybe on skydrive or somewhere.

For me it is important that all the features of vueminder are synced not just parts of it. I could use google sync but than in google calendar I can see only basic info about the event.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Davor, just to clarify how syncing with Google Calendar works, all the extended event data (category, formatted description, custom color, etc) you see in VueMinder on one computer will also appear in VueMinder on other computers. Those extended properties aren't visible on the Google Calendar web page, but the data is still synced and will be visible in VueMinder on other computers that are synced with the same calendar.

If you don't want to sync with Google Calendar, you could sync with an ICS file located on a cloud drive, such as Dropbox or OneDrive. Use the "Sync with File or URL" option on all computers to enable this type of syncing.

Another option would be to sync VueMinder Ultimate with Exchange Server. This works with Exchange Online (part of Office 365), as well as any other local or hosted Exchange Server 2010 or later.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Davor

Post by Davor » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Thank you very much
I will try it and see how it works but it seem it is the thing that I am looking for.
Thanks a lot for your good and prompt support.

Davor

Davor

Post by Davor » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:11 am

I have downloaded the pro version but now I have a problem that sync with google calendar doesn't work at all.
I have my google calendars on the list of the calendars in vueminder but I can not see any events in it.
What is the problem now why I cant see the events in vueminder?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Syncing with Google Calendar works fine when I test it. If you've added your Google Calendar to VueMinder but you don't see any events, make sure the calendar has a check mark next to its name, or click the "Show All Events" command on the View menu.

Also, take a look at the Status Bar when the calendar is selected. How many events are indicated and does the "Last synced" look correct?

It's possible you added the wrong Google Calendar. Your account might have multiple calendars. Maybe you accidentally added one that doesn't have any events or that you don't use anymore. Please use the "Add Google Calendar" command again to add all the calendars listed. Chances are one of those should have your events.

Your firewall might be blocking VueMinder. Please add an exception to your firewall so VueMinder can connect to Google Calendar.

If you still can't get it to work, see the "My calendars aren't syncing with Google Calendar" question in the FAQ linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/FAQ-Troubleshooting.aspx
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Davor

Post by Davor » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Hello

I didn't do anything and the next day the sync was working perfectly. Probably I had to restart computer or something.

I am testing now how the syncing between two computers works over googel. And I noticed few things.
It doesn't sync costume fields - why?
also in one moment I lost everything in a description tub. I didn't press delete just opened it and there was nothing there.
Also if I have html description and if it is synced with google in googel it is plain text. Which is ok but if I change something in a google description it automatically remove all the Html in the Vueminder description.

One question. What happens if I set the reminder but computer is not turned on on the day when the reminder should be sent. Does it send it first time when the computer is started next day or it doesn't send it at all.

Also is there a way so the events that are passed are marked differently than the upcoming events. Like in google calendar - that would be helpful.

I don't know but it seems that this syncing two computers over google is faulty. It always missing something. And I am afraid I can not rely on it.
You should do something about it. So it is 100% synced. Is there any difference if it is synced over URL file?

thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:31 am

Hi Davor, thank you for the feedback.
It doesn't sync costume fields - why?
This is something I plan to improve. I'll post a reply when it's completed. In the meantime, instead of syncing with Google Calendar to share calendar between your computers, you could use MySQL Server. See the documentation linked below for instructions. Custom fields are shared through MySQL Server. You can also configure the calendar to sync with Google Calendar, so you could still access your schedule outside of VueMinder.
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Also if I have html description and if it is synced with google in googel it is plain text. Which is ok but if I change something in a google description it automatically remove all the Html in the Vueminder description.
Google Calendar only supports plain-text descriptions. If you change the description in Google Calendar, VueMinder sees the change and gets updated with the plain text description. There's really not much I can do about this. Either the descriptions match or they don't. If you don't want the formatting to be lost, then don't edit the descriptions in Google Calendar.
What happens if I set the reminder but computer is not turned on on the day when the reminder should be sent. Does it send it first time when the computer is started next day or it doesn't send it at all.
If the computer is in sleep mode and wakeup timers are enabled, then VueMinder will wake the computer to send the email or SMS reminder and then put the computer back to sleep. If the computer is completely powered off, the reminder will be sent the next time VueMinder runs, which usually happens after Windows startup.
Also is there a way so the events that are passed are marked differently than the upcoming events. Like in google calendar - that would be helpful.
In the Reminder Options (accessed via the Options menu), check the box labeled "Automatically complete past events". Past events will be automatically faded like they are on Google Calendar. You might want to review the other options related to completed events, since depending on the options you have selected, a side effect might be that reminders for past events are never shown or sent.
I don't know but it seems that this syncing two computers over google is faulty.
I don't know why either. It works perfectly whenever I test it. Maybe your firewall is still interfering. Also, check to make sure all your computers are set to exactly the same time. It works best if all computers have their clocks synced with an internet time server.
Dan Chartrand, Founder