Lite--problem with auto startup

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Zane-Clair

Lite--problem with auto startup

Post by Zane-Clair » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I have a stand-alone setup since this is a home installation and the extra features are not needed. The application is excellent in providing what I need.

The version before 11.1.1 launched automatically with Windows7 when first installed. One day it disappeared from the Startup folder and did not start with Windows. I upgraded to 11.1.1 hoping to correct the issue with no luck, and, the proper flags are set for auto-start. Perhaps I do not understand the intention of start-up. Previously the calendar would appear in the upper right-hand corner when launching Windows. The current situation has the icon in task bar which must be selected to launch the calendar. When selected the icon also appears on the task bar. What should the application do when included in the Startup folder?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Lite--problem with auto startup

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Zane-Clair, welcome to the forums. The default behavior is for VueMinder to start when Windows starts, minimized to the task bar (the area near the clock, usually in the bottom-right corner of the screen). It sounds like this is what is happening in your case. See the documentation linked below for more information:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... narea.html

When you put a shortcut in the Startup folder, this will cause VueMinder to not be minimized when it starts. If that's what you want, simply add a shortcut to the Startup folder like you had before. You can also open the Program Options and uncheck the box labeled "Minimize to task tray when Windows starts" to get the same behavior.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Zane-Clair

Post by Zane-Clair » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm

The auto-start is not yet what I expect. The proper flags are set but booting Windows fails to launch VueMinder Lite. I have to do it manually and it comes up as it should.

Manually launching the calendar begins by blacking out the current screen asking permission to make changes to the computer. Acknowledging brings up a splash screen with a progress bar. This may be something to do with rights, I am administrator.

I am stumped at this point. Thanks.

Zane-Clair

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:52 am

Hmm, that's weird. VueMinder shouldn't require elevated permissions to run. Please check your shortcut and make sure (under Advanced) that "Run as Administrator" is unchecked.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Zane-Clair

Post by Zane-Clair » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I am about to uninstall Vueminder Lite after two days of very in-depth trouble shooting. The very first installation went smoothly with the appropriate launch at Windows startup. After perhaps two weeks this feature failed and the program was not listed in the startup folder. No changes had been made to the operating environment. I added the icon to the taskbar and was able to launch Vueminder; however, I consistently had to respond to a UAC "publisher unknown". I uninstalled the app, wiped it off the disk and re-installed it. In spite of selecting auto startup, it was not set and the UAC again appeared upon manual launch.

My security app is Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 running on Windows7. I entered the KIS setup and made Vueminder a "trusted" application. No change and I have administrator rights. (I left "administrator" unchecked both times I installed vueminder as suggested in the installation.)

I do not see any time restrictions on the use of the Lite version. Do they exist? Any last suggestions? When working properly I was pleased how the app made scheduling and documentation effortless. The UAC however makes me very wary of going farther.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't know why you're getting a "publisher unknown" UAC prompt because the software has been digitally signed. Nobody else has reported this behavior. If it bothers you that much, then please uninstall VueMinder Lite or disable the UAC feature in Windows.
Dan Chartrand, Founder