Outlook and missing days

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Soapm

Outlook and missing days

Post by Soapm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:10 am

I am using the pro trial version before I buy but this is what we're trying to do, we want to sync outlook and google calendars which in turn sync to our church's website.

I have two questions, I can't seem to sync both outlook and Google. I can go to properties and sync one or the other but I don't see how to have them both automatically sync. Am I missing a setting?

Secondly, we have several week long events. I set the first appointment to say 7 to 9pm then set the end date to Friday. I notice after a while the end date will be Thursday instead of Friday. I can fix it but it happens over and over again? Is this a bug or known behavior?

I've removed outlook from the picture and it still happens then I removed Vueminder, leaving the appointments only in Goggle and they stay as set. So the problem of the missing last day seems to be when VueMinder is in the picture.

To get a visual of the missing day, go to our church's website http://peacefulrest.org/index5ddd.html? ... ing-Events and look at the two week long events. They are both set for 5 days yet now they're ending on Thursday.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Outlook and missing days

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Soapm, welcome the forums. To prevent possible syncing problems, calendars can only sync with Outlook OR Google Calendar, but not both.

Regarding the problem with the end date changing, I'm unable to duplicate that behavior. I think there might be a time zone difference between Google Calendar and your computer. Please try this:
1. On the Google Calendar web page, click the drop-down arrow next to "My calendars".
2. Click "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3. On the Settings page, click the "General" tab.
4. Adjust the "Your current time zone" field if needed.
5. Click the Save button.
6. On the Google Calendar web page, click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar that is synced with VueMinder.
7. Click "Calendar Settings" in the drop-down menu.
8. Adjust the "Calendar Time Zone" field if needed. Make sure it matches the time zone from step 4.
9. In Windows, open the date/time settings and verify the same time zone specified in Google Calendar is also specified in Windows. Look closely because the time difference could be due to one time zone using Daylight Savings and the other not.

If that doesn't fix it, make sure you’re running the latest version of VueMinder (11.1.1). You can update by clicking the “Check for Updates” command on the Help menu. Next, delete the calendar from VueMinder by right-clicking its name and selecting "Delete Calendar" from the popup menu. Click the "Add Google Calendar" command to add the calendar again. Hopefully the calendar will sync with the correct time zone information.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Soapm

Post by Soapm » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:33 am

All my time zones were correct and I was running the latest version. I deleted and re-added the calendar but no change. I ended up adding Friday as a separate entry and it seems to be holding for now.

I'm having trouble understanding the purpose of this product. The reason I was testing the product was to keep outlook and google in sync. I get meeting invites via outlook so I was hoping to accept invites and publish them to our church calendar from outlook. I would also like to keep the church members informed of events I have in my outlook calendar.

If your product doesn't do this then I guess I need to keep looking but I will give my $00.02 which you can ignore if you want. We've been manually entering the entries directly into Google so not sure what benefit we'd have with this product, it would just give us a different interface for entering into google OR outlook but it would all still be manual which was the problem we're looking to solve.

My understanding is this product did at one time sync both outlook and google, if that were so and you gutted that ability for some reason, then in my view, you removed the true value of the product cuz what you have now is a snazzy, more complicated interface for google calendar???

If it never sync'd both outlook and google into a single calendar then you might want to consider giving it a go, I would think you'd have a consumer base because google discontinued google sync and Microsoft turned off outlook.com. However, I think you should also simplify your view or maybe have a basic and advanced view for the more adventurous. I was looking for something simple, that would just run in the tray and not be noticed, that would keep outlook and google in sync. I didn't even need a gui, just a config wizard would suffice...

Perhaps a conflict resolution popup in the rare event someone makes an entry into outlook and google at the same time???

Good luck to you...

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:19 am

Hi Soapm, thank you for the feedback. VueMinder used to be able to sync the same calendar with both Outlook and Google Calendar, but some users were experiencing intermittent syncing problems that I couldn't duplicate or solve. Rather than providing a feature that works correctly 99% of the time but causes mayhem the other 1% of the time, the feature was disabled. I may take another look at what would be required to make it work 100% of the time, but to be honest I get a headache just thinking about it.

If you're just using Google Calendar so you can have a calendar on your website, you might consider syncing Outlook with VueMinder (1-way) and using the "Save as Web Page" feature in VueMinder to periodically update your website. This would bypass the need to use Google Calendar. See the page linked below for more details:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... bpage.html
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA