11.1.1 Client system constantly syncing

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
critter42

11.1.1 Client system constantly syncing

Post by critter42 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 am

I just upgraded from Pro 9.1.3 to Pro 11.1.1 and switched to MySQL for sharing on the local network. There are two systems in this office.

System A has MySQL installed and the DB has both users as admins. This system also hosts the single calendar that is used for the entire shop.

System B just has VM installed. It is a brand-new quad-core system w/8GB RAM.

Both systems are running Win7 Home Premium fully patched. I have the DB set up per the instructions and have both users as DB Admins, I have made/verified firewall exceptions for both VueMinder and port 3306 on both systems and verified traffic was allowed across the port on the router both systems are connected to (basic SOHO Linksys wireless 802.11g router, but they're both connected wired - 100Mbps - gigabit isn't an option unfortunately).

Everything is working fine on System A.

System B, however, is having...issues. I enter the host IP of System A. It will eventually find the calendar, but the application becomes almost unusable. It constantly says "Synchronizing calendar" in the lower left and if I try to click anything the window fades and the "program is not responding" window pops up, then that goes away almost immediately and control is returned for a few seconds until it starts to sync again in a few minutes. However, no changes made on the master calendar are reflected in the calendar on System B.

Any ideas?

critter42

Re: 11.1.1 Client system constantly syncing

Post by critter42 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:14 pm

More weirdness - on System B, I go to Options->Sharing and enter the host/port and username. I click "Test Connection" and I get "Congratulations! VueMinder successfully connected to the server...etc" message. HOWEVER, if I click "View Log..." the only thing there is "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to the server: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts."

???

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi critter42, welcome to the forums. It sounds like there's some weird connection issue on System B. I've never seen this behavior so I'm not exactly sure what is causing it.

Where did you install MySQL Server, on System A or B? Have you checked the firewall settings on the computer where MySQL Server was installed, to ensure other computers can correctly access the server? See the page linked below for the required firewall settings:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php#troubleshooting

Also, try installing MySQL Workbench on System B and then see if you can connect to the server through the Workbench. If you encounter connection issues in Workbench, that would further indicate something is going on with your firewall or security software.

Also, since the Test Connection button works, but Show Log doesn't, it's possible the account you're using doesn't have the required permissions. The Test Connection button just tests that VueMinder can connect. It doesn't query the database after connecting, which requires the user account to have access to the "SELECT" privilege. Please use MySQL Workbench to edit the permissions of the account you're using. See Step 2.18 on the page linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

critter42

Post by critter42 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:36 am

System A has MySQL server installed. Both systems have exceptions for VM in the firewall and also have explicit inbound and outbound exceptions for port 3306 allowing all traffic through the port.

Workbench connects fine and both users have all permissions. Is there any scale issue? They have ~4000 events going back to March 2013.

I noticed that there was a "Server offline" message on both systems. Looking at Workbench's Server Status, when I told VM to reconnect on System A, there was a brief blip and everything was ok. When I did that on System B, it showed 61 connections (and climbing - after about 10 minutes of writing the rest of this post it has climbed to 100+ connections) and traffic of ~2.1 MB/s, w/about 800-1000 queries per second. There is no one in the office (I'm just down Big Muddy from you, so yes it's 4 in the morning :) ) and no other processes are running. After about 15 minutes of this VueMinder on System B went back to "Server is Offline. Click to reconnect" but Workbench is still able to access the server just fine.

I may switch the server to the newer system and see if that helps. To preserve all their data will the following work (mainly step 3):

1) Disable sharing for the Calendar on System A
2) Backup the Calendar on System A
3) Restore it onto System B
4) (after installing MySQL on System B) Share it on the network on System B

Finally, as a last resort, is it possible to clean load 11.1.1 directly, or will I have to install 9.1.3 and then upgrade from inside the app after I've entered the Upgrade Protection key?

critter42

Post by critter42 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:36 am

OK, so I cleaned System B of VM and deleted any temp directory and clean installed the 11.1.1 trial. I then switched the server to System B (newer system, quad CPU, VM and LibreOffice are the only apps that ever run on this machine) via the method I outlined above and everything seems sorted (except I'm currently running a trial of 11.1.1 on the new computer ). I'm hoping it was just the older computer not having enough horsepower...