Database on NAS

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
rekees

Database on NAS

Post by rekees » Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 am

I have 3 PCs on my home network connected via a router. I store all my shared data on a NAS device which is also connected to the router. I have Vueminder Ultimate version 11.1.0. I want to share events, tasks, notes and contacts data. I've read about setting up a server to share this data but (correct me if I'm wrong) that approach would required a server PC to be on in order for the other 2 PCs to access the Vueminder database. If that is true, then a server solution isn't practical. Is there anyway I can simply store all the Vueminder data in one database on the NAS device so it can be accessed independently by all 3 PCs?

Note that I have tried the publish/subscribe ICS file technique but that approach doesn't appear to work.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Database on NAS

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi rekees, welcome to the forums and thank you for the feedback. There are some NAS devices that can run MySQL Server. For example, the Synology NAS supports MySQL Server:
http://quixventure.com/2011/12/configur ... -for-xbmc/

What type of NAS are you using? Have you checked if it can run MySQL Server?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rekees

Post by rekees » Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

My NAS is an aging Maxtor Central Axis. It's basically little more than a shared external disk drive. Is there anyway to simply transfer the Vueminder database from the PCs to the NAS where each PC could access it? Note that concurrent access from multiple PCs would not be necessary.

http://www.seagate.com/support/external ... tral-axis/

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi rekees, if concurrent access isn't required, then I'd recommend getting VueMinder Ultimate USB. It can run directly from your NAS, which is where all the data will be stored as well. You'd see the same data regardless of the computer you're using, and you wouldn't need to use MySQL Server for syncing.

Since you've already purchased VueMinder Ultimate, you can get a 50% discount on the USB version by clicking the "Buy VueMinder Ultimate USB" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

rekees

Post by rekees » Fri May 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Dan, the Ultimate USB version sounds like it may be what I need. However, I'm a little vague on how it works so I want to be sure before spending more. Would it be necessary to perform a database transfer procedure each time I switched PCs or would each PC directly update the database on the NAS? Is there any documentation available explaining the Ultimate USB version in detail?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi rekees, the USB version automatically saves its data in the same folder where it runs. There's no need to transfer the data or manually sync. If you want to see how the USB version works on your NAS, you could try the free Lite USB version. It's obviously missing many of the features in the Ultimate version, but the way it saves data is the same.
www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download-lite-usb
Dan Chartrand, Founder

rekees

Post by rekees » Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 pm

BINGO! ... one link is worth a 1,000 words. :idea: The Ultimate USB version is exactly what I need. Dan, thank you very much for your help.