Google Contact Syncing Oddity

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
IngeJones

Google Contact Syncing Oddity

Post by IngeJones » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 pm

There is something very wrong going on lol. On Google contacts my daughter has two entries, one is her Google+ account which Google has helpfully "connected" to her entry that I set up myself as part of my personal contact list. Google lists nothing under her Google+ entry apart from her online ID, and url for her profile.

When syncing VueMinder with Google contacts, it brings in that entry with two other people's email addresses (people who are in my contacts but who are not my daughter!). I deleted all contacts and started over, but it still did it. I have no idea whether the fault lies with Google or VueMinder - maybe this makes more sense to you?

In better news, nicknames are now working as expected :)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Google Contact Syncing Oddity

Post by VueSoft » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi IngeJones, thank you for the feedback. I'm guessing VueMinder isn't finding a name (e.g. Last, First) for your daughter's Google+ account entry when importing from Google Contacts. The other email addresses that are being merged are probably from other contacts in Google Contacts that don't have first and last names entered.

VueMinder gets confused because it's keying off from the person's name, and when no name is indicated in Google Contacts, there's nothing "unique" about the contact to ensure values from other contacts without names aren't merged into a single "no name" entry in VueMinder.

I've corrected the next version to ignore Google Contact entries that don't have names. In the meantime, try entering a first and last name for your daughter's Google+ contact and then import into VueMinder again. I'm guessing that will fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

IngeJones

Post by IngeJones » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:01 am

I had to examine a csv export from Google to verify your hypothesis, as Google itself had stuck a name in the display, presumably to make it look neat. But you are right, that record is a combination of three that don't have *real* data in the lastname and firstname fields.

Now although the mystery is cleared up, it leaves me with two concerns.

1) At one time my husband had three guys called Peter Jones in his contacts, one of whom was him, but they were all totally different people who happened to work with him. VueMinder has a "file as" field which is handy for just this situation (could add numbers to all the Peter Jones's) but I guess Google wouldn't know what to do with this field?

2) I worry that some weird circular sync situation might crop up, where the combined nameless record is a new entry to Google so gets added there, then downloaded and added to the combined one in VueMinder and so on back and forth.

Oh, feel free to split my posts off from this thread, since we now know this is not directly related to the new beta release.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi IngeJones, I believe your concerns will be solved by the correction in VueMinder to not sync contacts when they are missing names. In my opinion, this is a bug on the Google Contacts side. A contact should always have a name. It doesn't seem correct for a contact's name to ever be blank, but that's what the Google Contact API is returning in some cases. The workaround in VueMinder to not sync contacts that are missing names is just a temporary fix until Google makes a correction on their end.

In any case, to answer your concerns:

1) The "File As" field in VueMinder will sync to a custom field of the same title in Google Contacts. However, Google doesn't treat this field any differently or use this field for uniquely identifying contacts like VueMinder does.

2) There won't be a circular sync issue since VueMinder will ignore nameless contacts. After a name has been entered for the contact on the Google side, the contact will properly sync to VueMinder.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA