Syncing with my laptop stopped

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dr_hersh

Re: Syncing with my laptop stopped

Post by dr_hersh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Just downloaded and installed 11.04 on both machines. Shortly after I ran VM, I got the following error message on my laptop. See attached.
Attachments
Laptop error 2014-02-24 at 14.42.01.png
Laptop error 2014-02-24 at 14.42.01.png (12.9 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:27 am

Based on the error message, it appears there's a problem accessing the path you've specified in the Publish settings for the calendar. Please make sure the path is valid and that you have permission to write to that folder.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:29 am

I've downloaded and installed VM 11.04 on both machines. The laptop installation is acting strangely. It is still not completely picking up all my settings from my desktop. On the laptop, starting the program announces the date in the tray with events and then fades. I don't want ti to load at all. It doesn't do that on the desktop.

A more serious problem is that when I hit F12 to complete an event, it removes all background color. See attached image. It also does not return it to the desired color if I hit F12 again, and after that happens, all new events events that are colored blue are not colorless backgrounds.
Attachments
laptop color error on completion 2014-02-24 at 21.21.41.png
laptop color error on completion 2014-02-24 at 21.21.41.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 5038 times

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 am

I do not understand not having access to write to a folder. Can you assist me?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm

On the laptop, starting the program announces the date in the tray with events and then fades. I don't want ti to load at all.
In the Program Options (accessed via the Options menu), check the box labeled "Suppress the task tray tooltip when minimizing".
A more serious problem is that when I hit F12 to complete an event, it removes all background color.
I haven't been able to duplicate this problem. Completed events should be faded like the "8:00am CSI - Teri Aronowitz" event in your screenshot. Try opening the event editor and check the "Completed" box. Does the same problem happen?
I do not understand not having access to write to a folder. Can you assist me?
My guess is the folder path you've specified doesn't exist. Try specifying a different folder. You can click the "..." in the publish location field to select an existing folder. Make sure the folder you pick is accessible from other computers. I don't have time to explain how to share folders on a network, but maybe the page linked below will help.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... inside-out
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Update

I got the colors working again. The problem is that there are many settings that are not saved in the backup, and when I restore to my laptop from my desktop, those do not transfer. For instance, I have my desktop set to View Colors Using Categories. When I restore to my computer, it changes it to View Colors Using Calendar Colors. I also have to reset not to show tool tips, tray stuff upon starting the program or minimizing it. Many settings on the desktop are just not saved in backups so they can be restored to another computer. I guess once they are set up again, they are retained, but it took me a long time to find why this problem was occurring.

Now, I'm again having trouble syncing. When I try to subscribe, it says I'm already subscribed, but no sync changes are happening, and I can't find out how to delete the current subscription and start over so when I try to link to the appropriate network file on my desktop, it doesn't permit me to use my current calendar name. See attached image.
Attachments
Snap 2014-02-26 at 11.31.43.png
Snap 2014-02-26 at 11.31.43.png (48.2 KiB) Viewed 5038 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:02 am

It appears you've enable the subscription but a path to the ICS file hasn't been specified. See below the "Subscribe to calendar" box, where there's a text field for specifying the file location? Click the "..." button and select the ICS file that was published from your other computer.

Calendar names in VueMinder need to be unique. I assume your other computer has all your events, which you've already published to an ICS file. If that's the case, delete or rename the current "David's Calendar" on your laptop. Click the "Add Calendar Subscription" command on the File menu, click the "..." button to select the ICS file, and then click OK.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:41 pm

I appreciate your patience, but I'm still not there.

I can't get it to sync, and I think I'm following your instructions exactly. Somewhere, now, my laptop has a whole bunch of calendar names that I can do nothing with. I have no idea how to eliminate all those names that somehow the program has retained, but not permitted me to successfully subscribe to my desktop network ICS file. The path is correct, but I cannot change it, as I have no idea how to unsubsribe from the various calendar names I've tried. May I have a few minutes on the telephone to see if you can walk me through it once and for all?

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:36 pm

So I completely reinstalled VM , yet again. This time, I then found and deleted allll the calendars that had been created and started over with NO calendars. I just subscribed to my desktop network file in a proper path and hit update now, and the attached imaged shows the result, with all those past events up and running again and I'm asked to dismiss them. I've deleted all that now with a resture of the data from my desktop backup to my laptop. What's next?
Snap 2014-02-27 at 10.31.28.png
Snap 2014-02-27 at 10.31.28.png (161.15 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Thanks,
David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 pm

David, I think I asked this previously - When did your desktop last publish the ICS file that you are subscribing to on the laptop? Have you deleted the unwanted events on the desktop? If so, re-publish the ICS file and then look at the file date/time in Windows Explorer to confirm it has been updated. Delete the subscription from your laptop and then re-add it. You shouldn't see any of the deleted events.
Dan Chartrand, Founder