Erroneous Contact Editor message

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Nigel

Erroneous Contact Editor message

Post by Nigel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:44 am

Here is a sequence that creates an erroneous message:
- In the Month view, hover over an event with a link to a Contact. An info balloon appears.
- Click on the contact in the info balloon. The contact editor opens.
- Close the contact editor without making a change.

It now asks if you want to save the changes. I did not make any changes.

Suggestion: To reduce the need to open the Contact Editor in the above sequence;
- open a contact summary info balloon when you hover over the contact
- make this info balloon appear and disappear in the same manner as the event summary info ballon

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Erroneous Contact Editor message

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Nigel, thank you for the feedback. I don't think the "save changes" message is related to opening the contact from the popup tooltip. Instead, I believe it's due to opening a contact that was created in a previous version of VueMinder, or possibly added from Google Contacts and not previously opened/saved in VueMinder's Contact Editor.

The data format for how contacts are saved is very different in v11 than previous versions. When you open a contact that was originally created in a previous version, the Contact Editor will convert that contact's data to the new format. However, it doesn't save the changes unless commanded. Before the editor is closed, VueMinder will compare what is currently open in the editor (new data format) with what was previously saved (old data format). It sees a difference due to the data format changes and asks if you'd like to save.

This behavior might also happen after importing contacts from an external source. I'm not sure the reason yet, but I'll investigate further. I'll try to fix this for both cases and will let you know when an update is available.

In any case, if you click "Yes" to save the changes you shouldn't get this message again the next time the Contact Editor is opened/closed for that contact.

Regarding your suggestion to show a popup tooltip when hovering over contacts in the contact list - that's not something I want to do. The reason is that it could be annoying because if the mouse cursor stops moving over any area of the Contact List (which could be a large part of the screen), the tooltip will popup, obscuring a part of the list.

If you have the Details Pane displayed, when you click a contact's row the Details Pane will show the contact's information, including a link at the top of the Details Pane for opening the contact. You can also double-click a contact row to open a contact.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Erroneous Contact Editor message

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:09 am

This has been corrected in version 11.0.2. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA