Contact sync issues

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
fifer43

Contact sync issues

Post by fifer43 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 pm

I use VueMinder 11.0. When I did an initial sync with Google contacts, all seemed to go well. My Google contact groups appeared in VueMinder; some tidying up was needed, but for the most part, I was pleased. Now I find that if I make a change in a contact's info in VueMinder, that does not carry over into Google. However, if I edit a contact's info in Google, then sync, the changes appear in VueMinder. To confuse the matter even more, if I delete a contact in Google, that deletion does not sync to VueMinder. I tried restarting both programs, but the same result.

Let me add a second issue related to syncing. When I sync my contacts, the sync window shows the time of sync two hours later than my computer time. Calendar syncing show the correct time. I believe this is related to the fact that although I live in the Eastern time zone, I am currently in Arizona. I do not change the time zone in my computer because that just messes up all event times. Instead, I just change the time in my computer. VueMinder shows the correct local time, as does my computer, but the contact sync time shows the time in the Eastern time zone. Google mail also shows the Eastern time zone time, but Google Calendar shows the local time. I don't know if any of this is related to my contact syncing problem, but it seems odd. The VueMinder clock shows the correct local time, my computer shows the correct local time, but the contact sync window shows the wrong time. I am less concerned about this than I am about the syncing (or maybe I should say the nonsyncing) of my contact info.

Any thoughts on why syncing only works one way? Should I be concerned about the wrong time showing up in the contact sync window? Apologies for the long post, but I thought the two issues might be related.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Contact sync issues

Post by VueSoft » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 am

Hi fifer43, VueMinder gets the actual time from an internet time server for syncing purposes. That's why you're seeing the correct time in the Sync Google Contacts window.

I need to do some more testing to see if having your clock off by 2 hours could result in the 1-way syncing behavior you're seeing. It's a possibility, but I'm not sure yet. FWIW, Contacts sync correctly in my testing when the clock is set to the correct time. I'll work on it this weekend and will let you know what I find.

Note, VueMinder will NOT sync contact deletions. This is intentional. The last thing I want is for some syncing hiccup to cause contacts to be deleted when they shouldn't be. Rather than take that risk, VueMinder only syncs new or modified contacts. If a contact needs to be deleted, you'll have to do it in both VueMinder and Google Contacts. I might revisit this decision after the Google Contacts API gets out of beta, but for now I think it's much safer to not attempt to sync deletions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

fifer43

Post by fifer43 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm

If I recall correctly, in earlier versions of VueMinder I was able to choose a time server - I can't find that in version 11. Not that important, just wondering.
In your first paragraph, you say " ... seeing the correct time ...". I actually see the incorrect time, two hours later than the correct local time.
Thanks for your clarification on deleted contacts. I can live with that and delete on both sides.
Looking forward to your findings on the 1-way sync of contacts.
Your prompt responses are always appreciated.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 am

In earlier versions, VueMinder would only try to connect to the single time server specified in the options. If the connection failed, VueMinder would give up and use the local system time - which is usually not very accurate. This would then lead to other syncing problems.

Version 11 has been updated to attempt to connect to around 50 different time servers before it will finally give up and use the local system time. There's no longer a need for the user to specify a time server in the options.

By correct time, I mean correct based on what time zone Windows is configured to use. I understand your clock is "correct" for the local time, but your time zone is not correct so your system time is actually 2 hours off.

I'm still attempting to duplicate the problem you're seeing with contacts not syncing 2-way. So far, I haven't been able to track it down.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

fifer43

Post by fifer43 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Dan:
Thanks for the clarification about the time servers.
As far as the correct or incorrect time is concerned, how does my computer know that I am in a different time zone from the one I choose? When I sync with an internet time server, does it have some way of checking that I am in a different time zone from the one I say I am in? I don't know how all of this works, but I do know that if I choose the correct (Arizona) time zone, all of my event times are wrong when I return to my Eastern time zone. It seems much easier just to change the time on my computer; at least then all of my event times remain correct.
It's all very confusing to me!

fifer43

Post by fifer43 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

I think I figured out how my computer knows where I am - or at least how GMail knows. It identifies the IP address that my mail is being sent from and knows that is in Arizona. That is why my emails show what to me is the wrong time - it is the correct time for the Eastern time zone. That is a minor issue, and to me causes fewer problems than changing my time zone. Could that have anything to do with my 1-way syncing problem?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 pm

It's possible the time zone difference is related to the problem. I haven't had a chance to investigate further yet, but I'll let you know what I find out.
Dan Chartrand, Founder