Event Times from Google are off early by 5 hours

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
deaconclif

Event Times from Google are off early by 5 hours

Post by deaconclif » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks to your response to racsac, I was able to effectively connect between VueMinder and Google Calendars after downloading 11.0. However, not all events came over, and those that did were off early by 5 hours. That is, a 7:30am EST event in Google shows up in VueMinder as 2:30am.

I gave you access to my system several months ago when working on a DST issue that existed in the earlier version. I expected the problem to be resolved with 11.0. Please help. Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks,
Clif

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Event Times from Google are off early by 5 hours

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 am

Hi Clif, Google Calendar has 2 places where the time zone is specified. My guess is that there's a mismatch somewhere between the various time zones in Google Calendar and Windows.

Please try this:
1. On the Google Calendar web page, click the drop-down arrow next to "My calendars".
2. Click "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3. On the Settings page, click the "General" tab.
4. Adjust the "Your current time zone" field if needed.
5. Click the Save button.
6. On the Google Calendar web page, click the drop-down arrow next to the calendar that is synced with VueMinder.
7. Click "Calendar Settings" in the drop-down menu.
8. Adjust the "Calendar Time Zone" field if needed. Make sure it matches the time zone from step 4.
9. In Windows, open the date/time settings and verify the same time zone specified in Google Calendar is also specified in Windows. Look closely because the time difference could be due to one time zone using Daylight Savings and the other not.

If that doesn't fix it, delete the calendar from VueMinder by right-clicking its name and selecting "Delete Calendar" from the popup menu. Next, click the "Add Google Calendar" command to add the calendar again. Hopefully the calendar will sync with the correct time zone information.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix it, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

deaconclif

Post by deaconclif » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

Dan,
Thanks for the quick follow up. I checked all points as you instructed and, although everything was correct as EST, when I deleted and re-added a Google Calendar, correct times did come over. HOWEVER, the DST issue is still present! Everything after March 8th is off early by 1 hour. I thought 11.0 would have addressed this issue. I checked and Windows is set to automatically adjust for DST. Is this something that should be turned off whenever I 'Add a Google Calendar'?
Thanks,
Clif

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 am

Hi Clif, I also have the setting to automatically adjust for DST enabled. For whatever reason, when I add a Google Calendar I see the event times exactly match between VueMinder and Google Calendar, both before and after March 8. I have no idea why you're seeing events 1 hour off after that date.

What is the exact time zone name you have configured in Windows? What time zone name have you configured in Google Calendar for your account and for each of your calendars? I'll try using the same time zones to see if I can duplicate the problem.

In case you're curious, the time zone where I'm seeing everything work perfectly is "(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)" in Windows and "(GMT-06:00) Central Time" in both places on Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

deaconclif

Post by deaconclif » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for your prompt response, Dan. The Calendar Time Zones in Google Calendar are both (GMT-5:00) Eastern Time. Windows is set for (GMT-5:00) Easter Time (US & Canada) and the box for DST is checked. I do not see an option in either Google Calendar setting location for (UTC-5:00). Maybe this is the issue.

Thanks for your help,
Clif