Exported .ICS files are not valid due to byte order mark

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
lasertits

Exported .ICS files are not valid due to byte order mark

Post by lasertits » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:57 am

Since the 11.x update of Vueminder, Calendars exported to an .ICS format are invalid:

When checking the encoding of the exported .ics files I noticed it was set to UTF-8 with BOM. I removed the BOM from the ics files via SSH on linux (sed -i '1 s/^\xef\xbb\xbf//' *.ics), making it simply UTF-8, and ics files were now valid again.

I knew something was wrong when after the latest vueminder update I could no longer import ics files to google calendar, or other calendars that read ics files. Removing the BOM from the encoding solved the issue.

I tried to submit this as a bug report via the software but it merely opens a blank chrome window when clicked. I figured posting it here was the next best step, especially if it helps others who are experiencing the same issue.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Exported .ICS files are not valid due to byte order mark

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 am

Hi lasertits, thank you for the feedback. I'm not seeing this problem in ICS calendars exported or published from version 11. I'm not yet sure what is causing the problem.

Are you exporting directly to your hard drive, or are you publishing the calendar to a server? Could you try manually exporting some other calendars to your local hard drive? Do they all exhibit this problem or does it seem to be isolated to one of your calendars?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

lasertits

Post by lasertits » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Dan thanks for looking into this. All calendars have the issue regardless of which export/publish method I try. I also tried creating a new calendar, but no dice. I have them setup to where they are published via ftp to my server and I tried exporting the one of them to .ics directly to my hard drive but that one came out invalid as well.

Strange that you can't reproduce it... I have no idea what could be causing it. I'll have to do some more digging it seems.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

I believe I've found what is causing the problem. A correction has been made for the next version. I'll post another reply when it's ready to download.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

lasertits

Post by lasertits » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Ah great, glad you found the culprit. Looking forward to the next version!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 am

The correction has been completed for 11.0.1. A pre-release beta is available if you're interested:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... f=5&t=1286
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Version 11.0.1 has been officially released. To update, click the "Check for Updates" command on the Help menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

lasertits

Post by lasertits » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 am

Just got around to updating it today and the issue is no longer present - no validation errors, everything seems to work well. Thank you for the quick fix!