Bugs in Ultimate USB

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
mbernhardt

Bugs in Ultimate USB

Post by mbernhardt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:15 pm

1. When I edit a recurring event, the first item in that series shows up twice- once old and once new.
2. For some reason when I'm doing a number of things in a row, the program will complain about some kind of exception and suggest trying to continue or quitting. This has happened several times. In the last instance, the first symptom was that text in the Description field of an event on Google was not in Vueminder, and then opening the next event brought up the error. Quitting and restarting showed everything normal and missing text was there (Fortunately!)
3. When Vueminder USB starts on this computer, it always asks twice. But on the other one, it doesn't. Any ideas?
4. When starting Vueminder on the 2nd computer even though it's not running on this one, I'm asked to set up an authorization key. Last time I did that and I think that's what caused things to get hosed up. But I can't sync from the 2nd computer since I won't let it get a new key. It did, however, update the calendar with old info. Thankfully syncing with Google back on this one cleaned it up again. Does each computer need to get its own authorization key?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Bugs in Ultimate USB

Post by VueSoft » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi mbernhardt, thank you for the feedback.
1. When I edit a recurring event, the first item in that series shows up twice- once old and once new.
Where is it showing up twice? Is this in all calendar views (Day, Week, Month) or just one? I've been unable to duplicate this behavior, nor has anyone else ever reported this happening, so I'm not sure yet what is causing it.
2. For some reason when I'm doing a number of things in a row, the program will complain about some kind of exception and suggest trying to continue or quitting.
This is not expected. The next time you get an error, can you email me the details? My best guess (which might be related to #1) is that your .NET Framework 4.0 installation is partially corrupted. Reinstalling the .NET Framework or repairing your Windows installation might fix it.
3. When Vueminder USB starts on this computer, it always asks twice. But on the other one, it doesn't. Any ideas?
I don't understand. What is it asking? I'm not aware of any questions that appear when VueMinder USB starts, let alone why the same question would appear twice.
4. When starting Vueminder on the 2nd computer even though it's not running on this one, I'm asked to set up an authorization key. Last time I did that and I think that's what caused things to get hosed up.
You'll need to allow access on each computer. Improvements have been made for the next version which will eliminate the need to re-enable access each time you switch to a different computer.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:44 am

Where is it showing up twice? Is this in all calendar views (Day, Week, Month) or just one? I've been unable to duplicate this behavior, nor has anyone else ever reported this happening, so I'm not sure yet what is causing it.
It shows up in Google calendar as a duplicate, not in Vueminder. Sorry for not being more clear. However, I found a clue s to the source of this. In my iPhone calendar app (Informant), I was seeing mutliple events for this account as well. In BusyCal (my Mac calendar app) it looked normal until I enabled "Show declined and canceled events." At that point, I had like 4 of some things, but all of them crossed out. I deleted them in BusyCal, and- they disappeared in Informant. But NONE of them were showing in Google Calendar before or after. I would not have known what they were except that one of them was an dit test that I had done a couple of days ago. So I think something is going on that has to do with edited events sometimes showing up to Google as canceled and re-entered. And even when those duplicates were deleted from Google (or maybe it was from Vueminder, I can't remember), they apparently still remained in a hidden form at Google. I dunno, does that make sense to you?
This is not expected. The next time you get an error, can you email me the details?
Will do.
I don't understand. What is it asking? I'm not aware of any questions that appear when VueMinder USB starts, let alone why the same question would appear twice.
Sorry, it's Windows 7 asking permission to run the program twice, not Vueminder itself. Again, apologies.
You'll need to allow access on each computer. Improvements have been made for the next version which will eliminate the need to re-enable access each time you switch to a different computer.
When is the next version coming out? It's quite the pain for me, because the Google account that's tied to Vueminder isn't mine, it's our boy scout troop. So I have to copy the URL, close the default browser, open another browser, log into the right account, and paste in the URL.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 am

It shows up in Google calendar as a duplicate, not in Vueminder.
When an event is "deleted" from Google Calendar, it is actually not deleted. Instead, it is marked as "cancelled" and should be hidden. As far as I'm aware, VueMinder correctly hides events that have been cancelled in Google Calendar.
Sorry, it's Windows 7 asking permission to run the program twice, not Vueminder itself.
You shouldn't get any UAC prompt when starting VueMinder USB, since it doesn't require elevated (administrator) privileges. If you're using a shortcut to start VueMinder, please ensure the shortcut properties have "Run as administrator" unchecked.
When is the next version coming out?
The next version will be released soon. I'll let you know as soon as it's available. There will also be a beta announced, in case you'd like it earlier.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mbernhardt

Post by mbernhardt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:55 pm

When an event is "deleted" from Google Calendar, it is actually not deleted. Instead, it is marked as "cancelled" and should be hidden. As far as I'm aware, VueMinder correctly hides events that have been cancelled in Google Calendar.
As I said, it showed up in Google calendar as a duplicate, not in Vueminder. This was happening when I edited the event, not deleted it. I'd end up with like 4 copies of the same event, with various edits. For some reason they weren't hidden.
The next version will be released soon. I'll let you know as soon as it's available. There will also be a beta announced, in case you'd like it earlier.
The main thing that's a pain, as I said, is the request to set up a key each time one switches between computers. As a workaround, is there a location in the registry where the key is stored, or a hidden file or something? I'm in IT for a living and comfortable with that stuff, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of workaround I could do to place the same key on both computers until the new version comes out? You can contact me off-line about this if you don't want to publicize it.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm

As a workaround, is there a location in the registry where the key is stored, or a hidden file or something?
The file is specific to each computer and won't work on other computers. That's part of the problem. Copying the same file to a different computer won't work. The next version fixes this problem. I'll let you know as soon as it's ready to download.
Dan Chartrand, Founder