Sorting by Category and then by name

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
rjm01

Sorting by Category and then by name

Post by rjm01 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 am

Is this possible to sort two columns so that the category column is sorted alphabetically and the name column maintains the names in each category in alphabetical order after the category has resorted the names? This is so the list of sax players is listed in alphabetical order under the sax category but the names will not be in order other wise.

John Morgan

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Sorting by Category and then by name

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi John, you can group rows based on the category column and use that as the primary index for sorting. Contacts will be grouped together if they have the same category value. Within each group, you can sort the contacts by name.

See the "Grouping Rows" section of the documentation linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/products/vuemi ... tlist.html

When the Category column is in the Group By Box, click the category column's name to enable sorting or toggle the sort direction. You'll see a little triangle next to the column label to indicate the column/group is sorted.

In the example below, contacts are grouped based on the "Group/Folder" value. As you can see, each group is in alphabetical order. Within each group, contacts are sorted based on the "File As" value. Again, they are sorted alphabetically within each group. The only difference in what you want to do is that you'll need to drag the "Group/Folder" column out of the Group By box and then drag the "Category" column into the box.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

rjm01

Re: Sorting by Category and then by name

Post by rjm01 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am

The list is in the group band. If I sort by category, I lose the order of the individuals in that category. They will not stay in order once i sort by letter. If I sort the file as column, I lose the category sort. I need to sort by category with the names still in order inside the category, I do not want to make a separate group for each instrument, which appears the only way it will work.