"Whole Month" setting not always honoured

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Zebo777

"Whole Month" setting not always honoured

Post by Zebo777 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 am

When you are in the Month view but today's date is not in view, and you press "Today" then the "Whole Month" setting is not honoured.

Procedure to reproduce this problem:
1) Open VueMinder in Month view and make sure that "Whole Month" setting is set.
- VueMinder displays Mar 31 - May 4
2) Press the -> button to go to next month
- VueMinder displays Apr 28 - Jun 1
3) Press the "Today" button
- VueMinder displays Apr 7 - May 11

The problem: In step 3, it should have gone back to display Mar 31 - May 4

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: "Whole Month" setting not always honoured

Post by VueSoft » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Zebo777, the "Whole Month" setting is currently only used when the left/right arrow buttons are used for navigating between months.

The Today button will show today's date on the top row, with the thought being that most users would want to see today and the following weeks, not past weeks. This is especially true when today's date is near the end of the month. Am I wrong? Are there any other users out there with an opinion?

There are other cases besides the Today button where the Whole Month setting is ignored, such as the "Go to Date" (Ctrl+G) command and when using the scroll bar along the right-edge of the Month view. This is by design.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Dan.
I understand your reasoning, however, in my opinion, program settings should not be ignored. Perhaps you can include this behaviour as a new "setting".

The way I believe it should work (and this will make it consistent with Google Calendar and other calendars' behaviour):

- When in the Month View - 1) the "Today button" or the "Go To Date" should display the whole month. 2) The scroll bar should scroll one month at a time.

- When in the Week View - 1) the "Today button" or the "Go To Date" should display the whole week. 2) The scroll bar should scroll one week at a time.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I'll post a reply when an update is available.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Dan.
I see one more minor issue with the "Whole Month" setting in the Month View:
If you have the "Whole Month" setting set and you use the Zoom-In and/or Zoom-Out buttons, the "Whole Month" setting is turned off without the ability to return to the original position using the Zoom buttons. You now have to go back to the settings and set the "Whole Month" again.

So, in effect, this setting gets turned off implicitly, and must be restored explicitly.

Can this be improved?

Comments?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Zebo777, the zoom buttons adjust the number of visible week rows. There's no way to zoom in while preserving the whole month setting, since the number of week rows is affected by zooming. I'm not sure how this could be improved.

I guess I could enable whole month mode if the zoom is adjusted to the level where a whole month would be visible, but then it would break it for people that don't ever want the whole month option enabled.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Dan,
I have a suggestion:
"Remember" the Whole Month setting, in the same manner as you "remember" the zoom setting. Then, when the user zooms(+/-) to the zoom setting that would equal the current Whole Month setting, re-activate the "Whole Month" setting. And, by the way, make sure this is "remembered" through a restart.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Yes, I had thought of that, but it's a bit more complicated. VueMinder will need to know when the user wants the whole month setting to be restored after they are done zooming, and when they've intentionally changed the number of visible weeks because they no longer want the whole month setting enabled. It's the same menu/button command for both cases. In any case, I have some ideas on how I can do it, and I'll post a reply when it's finished.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 am

When in the Month View - 1) the "Today button" or the "Go To Date" should display the whole month.
This improvement has been completed for version 11.0, which is currently in beta testing. If you'd like an early look, the beta can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... f=5&t=1263
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Zebo777

Post by Zebo777 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I tested 11.0. It works great!