VueMinder Initialization speed

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Zebo777

VueMinder Initialization speed

Post by Zebo777 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I did rough measurements of some popular programs' initialization times. I did this on a very old and slow clunker, but the relative times are about the same on my newest machine.

Here are my results:
Google Chrome: 4 seconds
Microsoft Outlook 2010: 15 seconds
Adobe Photoshop CS6: 26 seconds
VueMinder 10.1.8: 77 seconds

The figures speak for themselves.

It seems to me there is a lot of room for improvement.

Are you working on speeding up VueMinder's initialization time?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder Initialization speed

Post by VueSoft » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

VueMinder takes about 8 seconds to load on one of my old computers and 5 seconds on a newer computer with a SSD drive. All my other computers load VueMinder in between 5 and 8 seconds. I agree 77 seconds seems too long. Unfortunately, I don't know why it's so slow to load on your computer and I haven't been able to duplicate the problem.

Have you tried reinstalling .NET Framework 4.0? Maybe that will help.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

trilogcorp

Post by trilogcorp » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 am

Hi, i have a similar problem. Up tu version 10.1.7 the start-up time was aprox. 10-15 sec, with version 10.1.8 it was about 20 sec, but with ver 10.1.9 it takes between 2 to 5 min when it does not crash. Since using ver. 10.1.9 we consider downgraing to ver 7, as nobody can really work with the program, not to say anything about sync with google calender, its just does not work, been searching in the forum for a solution but could not find any. Any idea whats wrong??

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue May 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi trilogcorp, welcome to the forums. I haven't seen any noticeable difference in the VueMinder start up time on my test computers in versions 10.1.7, 10.1.8, and 10.1.9. Start up time on all my computers continues to be between 5 and 8 seconds.

How many events do you have defined? If you 100,000+ events, that might slow things down somewhat, although it shouldn't crash.

There might be a problem with the VueMinder installation. To fix it, use the Control Panel to uninstall VueMinder (this won’t remove any data or license information). Next, download and reinstall by using the link below.
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page=download

If that doesn’t solve it, my next guess is that something is wrong with the .NET Framework 4.0 installation. To fix it, use the Control Panel to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (Extended Profile). Reboot after uninstalling and then use the link below to reinstall the .NET Framework.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17851

If it still doesn’t work, maybe something is wrong with the data. You can use the utility linked below to reset the data. Before running this utility, make sure to exit VueMinder first by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting "Exit".
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

If you’re using VueMinder Server, you might also need to reinstall the server software. This will reset the database. You’ll need to re-enable calendar sharing after doing this. You can download and reinstall VueMinder Server using the link below. You don’t need to uninstall anything first – just run the executable.
http://www.vueminder.com/sharing.php

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup. Note, I’m assuming you didn’t disable the automatic backup feature, which generates a backup of the data every 8 hours (by default). If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, search your hard drive for files having a “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you changed the backup settings. Try to pick a backup that was generated before you started seeing the problem. After restoring from the backup, open the Calendar Properties of any previously shared calendars to re-enable sharing, via the “Sharing” tab.

The FAQ also provides some tips on improving VueMinder's performance. See the link below:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?page ... ted#FAQ007
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

trilogcorp

Post by trilogcorp » Fri May 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks for your answer, i will try this solutions and let you know what happens.

trilogcorp

Post by trilogcorp » Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 pm

I finally found out what is was, after resetting, reinstalling, etc. Someone, not working anymore with us, posted 500 daily tasks with a 1 min interval beginning at 8am during 5 years. I almost went crazy deleting all this but now we are good again, everything works fine. Anyway, thanks for your support, now i know a lot more about vueminder :D